Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
X Axis Chattering (1.0A with Rep 0.92) FIXED
Hello all, first post for me.

This is a used but new to me 1.0A, it's running Rep 0.92. It was soft bricked and took a lot of messing around to get Rep flashed. 

The X Axis is chattering when it's plugged into the X motor connector of the motherboard. Makes one heck of racket when I try and move it through Rep Host, it also doesn't move in any particular direction, just seems to beat itself to death. BUT... When I swap the X Y plugs at the motherboard they both work perfect, albeit swapped axis's. So the Y drives the X motor just fine and the X drives the Y just fine. That makes me think the wiring is okay. The only time X chatters is when it's plugged into it's own connector. The only logical thing that I can think of is an incompatibility with the X plug and socket but I've messed with it and can't create a change. I know it's not this though...

So, thinking that this may be a sensor issue I started swapping those around. So when both X and Y drives are swapped at the MB, swapping the X and Y sensors makes no difference, the motors function correctly. However when the X and Y motors are connected as they should be swapping the sensors makes both motors chatter. When sensors are returned to normal just the X chatters as usual.

I continued swapping sensors around this time adding in the lid sensor to replace both the X and Y. This is what the outcome looks like:

[X and Y motor drives hooked up normal]

Sensor - MB Connection

LID - Y
X    - X
Y    - OFF
= BOTH X AND Y CHATTER

LID - LID
X    - X
Y    - Y
= X CHATTER

LID - LID
X    - Y
Y    - X
= BOTH CHATTER

LID - LID
X    - OFF
Y    - Y
= BOTH CHATTER

So I would say the above might be helpful BUT... since all that sensor swapping the original problem has swapped to the Y side. Now when all is connected normal the X functions properly but the Y chatters. 

Could this be a software thing?
Okay may be able to disregard this... fingers crossed. I found two other connectors hooked up incorrectly that may have solved it. The heatbed thermistor and maybe the extruder fan were swapped, haven't confirmed yet. Anyway thanks to a picture of a hooked up motherboard I found here I swapped them back and all seemed to work nicely. We'll see if it keeps going after a nights sleep. Not sure how those could effect the X and Y axis though.
Okay, for the record that didn't fix it. The problem continued after and moved between the E, Y and X motors. I pulled the motherboard out and reflowed all the solder at every header connector. The factory solder looked terrible, especially around the main power plugs. Upon installation I pulled all the connectors apart and squished the ends of the socket pins so they would grab the header pins better, that fixed everything. 

My suggestion, if your connectors go onto your header pins without any friction you have problems coming. If your connectors have never been taken off then this may not be an issue but they are cheap, the pins have a very tiny spot that make a connection. Also the white plastic is poor quality and if you work the connections too much the connectors will break. I had two that were broken when I got it. 

My issue with this chattering problem was that it moved whenever anything was disrupted.
Based on the fact that many people who have been printing for a while have noticed problems with the wiring, I'd check that first.

Use some pins/clips to attach probes to either end of each wire, and then move things around and make sure continuity is kept the whole time. Or just check for sections of wire (near the ends) that bend much more easily than others.

The problem is due to internal fraying of the wires as they bend as a result of the carriage movement. If the cables aren't properly secured at either end, some wires may be bent just at one location rather than along their length. Constant bending at the same location will weaken and fray the wires inside. They might make contact at some times but not at other times.
My problem was due to the female connector pins losing contact from being taken on and off too many times. No fraying on the wires, crimping all tight. Using a meter while probing the connector with loose pins will also produce intermittent results. 

Bottom line, look into the connector, if you can't see the edges of the pins they're most likely too loose. 

Of course fraying and broken connections are always a possibility, just not what happened here.