Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
X-axis Idler Holder Model
So I just got a DaVinci 1.0A, did a test print to make sure things were working, flashed it with Repetier, then noticed that the X-axis idler seemed to be turning sideways in its slot. I took it apart and found that my printer apparently shipped with this:

[Image: 5fmfNSF.jpg]

It seems like I could call/email support and argue that this is covered under warranty and get XYZ to send me a replacement idler tensioner (?), but I think I'll probably be up and running more quickly if I just print my own on another printer I have access to. I see a lot of improved models of this part that are meant to add bearings for the idler, but since this is a new printer and I'd be happier getting back up and running quickly, does anyone have a model of the original part?
(05-08-2016, 01:01 AM)Debio Wrote: So I just got a DaVinci 1.0A, did a test print to make sure things were working, flashed it with Repetier, then noticed that the X-axis idler seemed to be turning sideways in its slot. I took it apart and found that my printer apparently shipped with this:

[Image: 5fmfNSF.jpg]

It seems like I could call/email support and argue that this is covered under warranty and get XYZ to send me a replacement idler tensioner (?), but I think I'll probably be up and running more quickly if I just print my own on another printer I have access to. I see a lot of improved models of this part that are meant to add bearings for the idler, but since this is a new printer and I'd be happier getting back up and running quickly, does anyone have a model of the original part?

I can print you a new one if you'd like and mail it to you. 

I recommend: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:805215 You'd need to buy 2 x MR63ZZ bearings.

Shoot me a private message if you're interested.
(05-08-2016, 05:52 AM)Nickjallday Wrote: I can print you a new one if you'd like and mail it to you. 

I recommend: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:805215 You'd need to buy 2 x MR63ZZ bearings.

Thanks for the offer, but I do have access to a working printer I can use to make parts. I actually put together a quick model this afternoon in SketchUp, but if past experience is any judge, it'll take me a few iterations to get the tolerances right and I wanted to avoid that if possible.

Thanks for the link. I had assumed I would want to print a drop-in replacement for the original tensioner, then order ball bearings online and eventually print a tensioner that could use them. I think I may be able to source an equivalent 3x6x2.5mm bearing locally, though. I'll find out on Monday.
(05-08-2016, 06:40 AM)Debio Wrote:
(05-08-2016, 05:52 AM)Nickjallday Wrote: I can print you a new one if you'd like and mail it to you. 

Thanks for the offer, but I do have access to a working printer I can use to make parts. I actually put together a quick model this afternoon in SketchUp, but if past experience is any judge, it'll take me a few iterations to get the tolerances right and I wanted to avoid that if possible.

Thanks for the link. I had assumed I would want to print a drop-in replacement for the original tensioner, then order ball bearings online and eventually print a tensioner that could use them. I think I may be able to source an equivalent 3x6x2.5mm bearing locally, though. I'll find out on Monday.

Cool Beans, The ball bearings is the way to go the x-axis moves smoother and more consistent. Before I changed it out it started to bind every so often and make horrible noises.
(05-08-2016, 01:40 PM)Nickjallday Wrote: Cool Beans, The ball bearings is the way to go the x-axis moves smoother and more consistent. Before I changed it out it started to bind every so often and make horrible noises.

Printed it, found some 3x6x2mm bearings at a hobby shop, and happily started printing again. Unfortunately, after a few hours I heard a terrible screeching noise and it looks like one of the two bearings has seized.

The bearings I picked up were http://www.hobbytown.com/Shop/EFLH2215-E...MCX-2-MSR/ . Is there more criteria I should be looking at, or is this probably just bad luck?
(05-11-2016, 05:43 PM)Debio Wrote:
(05-08-2016, 01:40 PM)Nickjallday Wrote: Cool Beans, The ball bearings is the way to go the x-axis moves smoother and more consistent. Before I changed it out it started to bind every so often and make horrible noises.

Printed it, found some 3x6x2mm bearings at a hobby shop, and happily started printing again. Unfortunately, after a few hours I heard a terrible screeching noise and it looks like one of the two bearings has seized.

The bearings I picked up were http://www.hobbytown.com/Shop/EFLH2215-E...MCX-2-MSR/ . Is there more criteria I should be looking at, or is this probably just bad luck?

Sounds like it's just bad luck, I think I just googled MR63ZZ bearings and ordered a pack of ten on ebay.
(05-16-2016, 04:54 PM)Nickjallday Wrote: Sounds like it's just bad luck, I think I just googled MR63ZZ bearings and ordered a pack of ten on ebay.

Aye, I ultimately ordered a set of 10 off Amazon. Prime same-day for the win!

I also found that very little of the 2mm thickness of my first set of bearings were in contact with the tensioner, and I wonder if the lack of adequate support contributed to the failure. I took the tensioner design that takes MR63ZZs, simplified it to remove some of the curves and pieces that required or complicated supports, resized it a bit for an easier fit without sanding, and upsized the front bits so the bearings have better support. I'll try to toss the remix on Thingiverse this evening if I can figure it out, but I've been running it for a few hours now and things seem fine.
(05-16-2016, 08:29 PM)Debio Wrote:
(05-16-2016, 04:54 PM)Nickjallday Wrote: Sounds like it's just bad luck, I think I just googled MR63ZZ bearings and ordered a pack of ten on ebay.

Aye, I ultimately ordered a set of 10 off Amazon. Prime same-day for the win!

I also found that very little of the 2mm thickness of my first set of bearings were in contact with the tensioner, and I wonder if the lack of adequate support contributed to the failure. I took the tensioner design that takes MR63ZZs, simplified it to remove some of the curves and pieces that required or complicated supports, resized it a bit for an easier fit without sanding, and upsized the front bits so the bearings have better support. I'll try to toss the remix on Thingiverse this evening if I can figure it out, but I've been running it for a few hours now and things seem fine.

Tossed it up: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1580883
Nice design. Fits perfectly with no sanding. 
Don't have the bearings yet but I'm looking forward to having a nice quiet X idler again.  Smile

Edit : The bearings came today, fitted perfectly. No more noisy idler !
Davinci 1.0 with repetier 0.92 & E3D hotend
Slicer - Simplify3d 

Nice remix, I printed the original one and have been using it for quite a while now. It not only made my printer quieter, it made my circles round. I do remember having to sand and trim a bit to get it working though. I will get one of these printed and put it in the spare parts bin.
Just to update, my printer's been nice and quiet since I fitted the x axis tensioner with bearings but one thing still bugged me, the belt on the x axis has never quite felt tight enough.
So I fitted one of these last night .... http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:920971/#comments
It's a remix of the tensioner with bearings that uses a bolt to tighten the belt instead of the spring.
It works great and it's the tightest I've ever been able to get the belt.
I added a nut to mine for extra security so the bolt won't slip.
Davinci 1.0 with repetier 0.92 & E3D hotend
Slicer - Simplify3d