Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Da Vinci Duo Dead in the Water
Hi Guys,
I was having so many issues with Repetier 0.92 and S3D and Repetier Host that I decided to reflash back to XYZ Firmware and ended up bricking my printer.
So now its Dead in the Water. Blank Screen and non responsive. I watched a video on how to do this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU5G0EX_Q08) and got 1/2 way through the process up to where he clears the old FW (which worked fine) and then you install the new FW but there is a bossac file that you need to do this. He was doing a da vinci 1.0 and he found a bossac file in the Software Repository for that model that loaded up the new firmware to the machine. In the Software Repository for my machine, the 2.0A, (thttp://md5live.com/da-vinci-2-0-duo-software-repository/) that file is not there so now Im stuffed.
Anyone have solution? 
cheers
There is no way to revert stock FW on 1.0A/2.0A and AiO because the FW is encrypted, FW of 1.0 and 2.0 are not encrypted, that is why they can be flashed

It is writen in clearly on my github and in several forums - no one found the way to decrypt the FW to be able to flash using bossac.
(05-05-2016, 11:17 PM)luc Wrote: There is no way to revert stock FW on 1.0A/2.0A and AiO because the FW is encrypted, FW of 1.0 and 2.0 are not encrypted, that is why they can be flashed

It is writen in clearly on my github and in several forums - no one found the way to decrypt the FW to be able to flash using bossac.

luc
Can you get the latest firmware? I noticed on the Repository it does not have the latest.
(05-07-2016, 10:09 PM)nickb00 Wrote:
(05-05-2016, 11:17 PM)luc Wrote: There is no way to revert stock FW on 1.0A/2.0A and AiO because the FW is encrypted, FW of 1.0 and 2.0 are not encrypted, that is why they can be flashed

luc
Can you get the latest firmware? I noticed on the Repository it does not have the latest.

no i do not have
(05-08-2016, 06:45 AM)luc Wrote:

luc

no i do not have
Luc
why does repository only have FW for 2014? Is this the one before they encrypted it?
(05-09-2016, 12:22 AM)nickb00 Wrote:
(05-08-2016, 06:45 AM)luc Wrote:

luc

no i do not have
Luc
why does repository only have FW for 2014? Is this the one before they encrypted it?
I do not handle repository - I guess it is because it is less easy to get the FW due to automatic update need to get it on SDCard after update - before it can be downloaded from xyz web site

And this is why I haven't upgraded to Repetier.  

I consider myself handy, but back in 2008 when the Google G1 came out, I did a lot of flashing. One thing I learned was:

1. Always back up your firmware (if possible). 
     2. Sometimes you go on blind luck.
     3. Unless you are a professional coder, wait until someone else has done it a few times.

I respect people like you luc for having the cajones to do this sort of things open source so we can all profit.  Although we can profit, there is also the dark side of bricked devices and unfortunately some have to take one for the team.
(05-09-2016, 02:35 PM)Brutal Wrote:

I consider myself handy, but back in 2008 when the Google G1 came out, I did a lot of flashing. One thing I learned was:

3. Unless you are a professional coder, wait until someone else has done it a few times.

I respect people like you luc for having the cajones to do this sort of things open source so we can all profit.  Although we can profit, there is also the dark side of bricked devices and unfortunately some have to take one for the team.

That is why I never push to use this FW, it is up to anyone - Many people are happy with stock FW - so no need to fix what is not broken, no mention that the learning curve with a fw which open all features is not small, no need to be disappointed with a fw you cannot handle, there are so many settings that if used wrongly, will ruin the print.
I definitely respect people who like stock FW or have doubt - better not to do than regret to have done.  Big Grin

Now that said - it is hard to brick the board from software point of view
(05-09-2016, 06:24 PM)luc Wrote:
(05-09-2016, 02:35 PM)Brutal Wrote:

That is why I never push to use this FW, it is up to anyone - Many people are happy with stock FW - so no need to fix what is not broken, no mention that the learning curve with a fw which open all features is not small, no need to be disappointed with a fw you cannot handle, there are so many settings that if used wrongly, will ruin the print.
I definitely respect people who like stock FW or have doubt - better not to do than regret to have done.  Big Grin

Now that said - it is hard to brick the board from software point of view

Since I respect your expertise, and I agree that the current FW (aside from the filament issue) is not all that bad, I will stick with it. I would love to be able to control the XYZ axis from the PC, but its not a deal breaker. I can control the temps with GCODE in S3D, so that isn't an issue.  TBH because of the left extruder not counting I could have even chosen not to get the filament resetter. I did though because you never know when XYZ will upgrade the firmware and fix the issue with S3D.
I am slowly learning the GCODE and can update scripts when necessary, but otherwise  I don't think Repetier is a must for me.  I know that if I ever have a question that you are always here luc, and when the Repetier is ripe and brings more benefits that stock FW or when I become more advanced, I will upgrade.