Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
XYZ duo 2.0A FirmWare with Simplify 3D
Hi Guys,
Just about to buy this printer (XYZ da vinci duo 2.0A) and have read about its problems with making you use their filaments etc.
Just wanting to know if you keep the stock XYZ FirmWare and use Simplify3d and not the XYZ Software, are there any issues you need to be aware of and also can I use any brand filaments without a resetter using S3d? 
cheers
Nick
So far I am using the Davinci Stock Firmware and Simplify 3D. No problems so far. My left extruder is not keeping count. Not sure if its like that for everyone.
(04-16-2016, 02:29 AM)Brutal Wrote: So far I am using the Davinci Stock Firmware and Simplify 3D. No problems so far. My left extruder is not keeping count. Not sure if its like that for everyone.

Hey Brutal,
I have read that one extruder does not keep count with S3d. Thats not too bad I suppose, just have to keep an eye on it running out I suppose. Did you find that you cannot set temp on left extruder as well? Do you think it is worth buying S3d or go the free Repetier version but with firmware flash? Not sure which way to go yet but with S3d you keep its native firmware and dont void the warranty but are then stuck with their cartridges. Should be getting my duo this week. My 1st one went in for repairs after the 2nd print. They ended up giving me a refund. It kept initialising every 30 secs or so and was driving me crazy. This was after the firmware was updated by the xyz software. Dont do it. Dont even run the xyz software. Either go straight to S3d or Repetier, but again not sure which way to go. Any advice?
(04-17-2016, 10:15 PM)nickb00 Wrote:
(04-16-2016, 02:29 AM)Brutal Wrote: So far I am using the Davinci Stock Firmware and Simplify 3D. No problems so far. My left extruder is not keeping count. Not sure if its like that for everyone.

Hey Brutal,
I have read that one extruder does not keep count with S3d. Thats not too bad I suppose, just have to keep an eye on it running out I suppose. Did you find that you cannot set temp on left extruder as well? Do you think it is worth buying S3d or go the free Repetier version but with firmware flash? Not sure which way to go yet but with S3d you keep its native firmware and dont void the warranty but are then stuck with their cartridges. Should be getting my duo this week. My 1st one went in for repairs after the 2nd print. They ended up giving me a refund. It kept initialising every 30 secs or so and was driving me crazy. This was after the firmware was updated by the xyz software. Dont do it. Dont even run the xyz software. Either go straight to S3d or Repetier, but again not sure which way to go. Any advice?

Just to clarify, S3D is a slicer and a host, Repetier in this case is the firmware.  S3D will work with Repetier firmware so you do not lose anything if you flash Repetier and already have S3D.  There is also Repetier Host which has Slic3r and Cura built in so it will have the same functionality as S3D but the slicers have less features in my opinion.

If you flash Repetier, you still need some sort of slicer to generate the code.  The most popular slicers are probably Cura, Slic3r, Simplify3D, Skeinforge, and Kisslicer.  You can also use several different hosts to send the g-code to the printer or save it to an SD card and print without a host. Some of the popular hosts are Simplify3D, Repetier Host, and Pronterface.
(04-18-2016, 12:58 PM)tjb1 Wrote:

Hey Brutal,

Just to clarify, S3D is a slicer and a host, Repetier in this case is the firmware.  S3D will work with Repetier firmware so you do not lose anything if you flash Repetier and already have S3D.  There is also Repetier Host which has Slic3r and Cura built in so it will have the same functionality as S3D but the slicers have less features in my opinion.

If you flash Repetier, you still need some sort of slicer to generate the code.  The most popular slicers are probably Cura, Slic3r, Simplify3D, Skeinforge, and Kisslicer.  You can also use several different hosts to send the g-code to the printer or save it to an SD card and print without a host. Some of the popular hosts are Simplify3D, Repetier Host, and Pronterface.

Brutal, Thanks for that!  I am thinking of the cheap route, flash to Repetier and use the free Repetier Host rather than shelling out for S3d. Do you think it is better to buy S3d and if so is there a reason why to flash to Repetier other than having to buy XYZ Cartidges if you dont?
(04-18-2016, 11:28 PM)nickb00 Wrote:

Hey Brutal,

Brutal, Thanks for that!  I am thinking of the cheap route, flash to Repetier and use the free Repetier Host rather than shelling out for S3d. Do you think it is better to buy S3d and if so is there a reason why to flash to Repetier other than having to buy XYZ Cartidges if you dont?

You gain the ability to control every aspect of the printer with Repetier, if you aren't comfortable with that or don't care then there is really no reason other than being able to use filament without resetting or any other tricks.  The way it stands, the firmware on Luc's github is 99.9% configured when you download it.  You just need to select your printer model and you should be able to print without any issue.  You may have to play with your slicer a bit to get it set up but you shouldn't have to do anything in the firmware other than choosing your model.
(04-19-2016, 12:22 PM)tjb1 Wrote:

Hey Brutal,

You gain the ability to control every aspect of the printer with Repetier, if you aren't comfortable with that or don't care then there is really no reason other than being able to use filament without resetting or any other tricks.  The way it stands, the firmware on Luc's github is 99.9% configured when you download it.  You just need to select your printer model and you should be able to print without any issue.  You may have to play with your slicer a bit to get it set up but you shouldn't have to do anything in the firmware other than choosing your model.
Thanks for that, great stuff! Do you have to use Arduino 1.5.8 Beta version or can you use the later 1.6.8 release?
cheers
(04-19-2016, 09:30 PM)nickb00 Wrote:
(04-17-2016, 10:15 PM)nickb00 Wrote: Hey Brutal,

Thanks for that, great stuff! Do you have to use Arduino 1.5.8 Beta version or can you use the later 1.6.8 release?
cheers

Just follow the directions on the github and you should be fine.
(04-20-2016, 11:54 AM)tjb1 Wrote:
(04-19-2016, 09:30 PM)nickb00 Wrote:
(04-18-2016, 12:58 PM)tjb1 Wrote: Just to clarify, S3D is a slicer and a host, Repetier in this case is the firmware.  S3D will work with Repetier firmware so you do not lose anything if you flash Repetier and already have S3D.  There is also Repetier Host which has Slic3r and Cura built in so it will have the same functionality as S3D but the slicers have less features in my opinion.

cheers

Just follow the directions on the github and you should be fine.

OK thanks..
is that ok that i can get the simplify3d .fff profile for duo 2.0a my setting somehow not work