Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is New Hard/Firmware & OS Stopping My Flash?
Confused Sadly, another Firmware "brick" story.  I got a new DaVinci Duo (2.0A) for Christmas, after 6 weeks of their software (and Simplify3D) I was seduced by the Repetier 0.92 firmware upgrade promise.  About 2 weeks ago I downloaded the software and Arduino IDE.  While used to computers I started from knowing zero about an Arduino Due board.  I made all the rookie mistakes, but have since learned a lot about flashing the board.  I have tried with a new Win 10 laptop, a MacBook Air with El Capitan and an ancient Sony laptop running Win XP.  I have followed and re-followed the directions & tutorials outlined and posted here and on other sites many many times.  The new OS's have fought me relentlessly and my poor 12 year old Sony apparently just can't cut it. 

To make my discouraging story short:
1. Windows seemed to compile the Repetier .ino file OK on 1.58 & 1.65, but never was able to convince Win 10 to give it a USB port.  (File was 160,240kb long)
2. Win XP compiled nicely, making all the happy signals up to the second "count up" pass thru where it would variably stop between 24 to 78% done, with a "sam-ba operation failed" message.
3. El Capitan was finally coaxed, after defeating its security feature, to compile and upload a 160,240kb file to my board to a "reset cpu" conclusion followed by two notes I didn't catch. The IDE said it was done uploading.  Turning off and on resulted in no action, still with the black bars. Sigh, and that's the best I've done.
4. I've also tried Bossa & Bossac loading a .bin file with similar results to Win10.

I have noted most of the successful trouble shooting on the net has occurred in 2014 and 2015 and the few of us with newer DaVinci's are just now asking for help.  

1. Has the combination of new hardware/firmware and new OSs in the last several months changed the likelihood of a successful flash?
  2. Have the XYZprinting folk really somehow made their Arduino boards un-hackable?  It doesn't seem reasonable to me unless the factory boot loader was changed for them alone.    If so can I burn a new one to a sam3 board? Can I change to a new board that would be a "plug in fit" with a Repetier flash.
  3. Is a 160,240kb file approximately the right size the 0.92/IDE process file should have?
  4. Is a new WIN10 driver needed and/or available?
  5. Are others having similar problems to mine, If not what am I missing.
  6. Is there anything else for me to try?
  7. I'd be happy to share any process data I can obtain from my attempts.  Just tell me how to do it.

Thanks for your attention, any help would be greatly appreciated.
I got my printer for Christmas, it was actually purchased at the end of November 2015 and I had no issues flashing. I'm not sure if you would get this far without doing it but did you make sure to follow step 4? "4.Update arduino files (variants.cpp and USBcore.cpp) with the one(s) present in src\ArduinoDUE\AdditionalArduinoFiles\1.5.8. or in src\ArduinoDUE\AdditionalArduinoFiles\1.6.5 according your IDE version".

I did mine on Windows 10 with 1.5.8.
(02-25-2016, 12:22 PM)tjb1 Wrote: I got my printer for Christmas, it was actually purchased at the end of November 2015 and I had no issues flashing.  I'm not sure if you would get this far without doing it but did you make sure to follow step 4? "4.Update arduino files (variants.cpp and USBcore.cpp) with the one(s) present in src\ArduinoDUE\AdditionalArduinoFiles\1.5.8. or in src\ArduinoDUE\AdditionalArduinoFiles\1.6.5 according your IDE version".

Yes, numerous times both in appdata/local and appdata/roaming. Thanks for the quick reply, I'm glad to hear that at least you were able to get win10 to work.
(02-25-2016, 02:19 PM)Whitm Wrote:
(02-25-2016, 12:22 PM)tjb1 Wrote: I got my printer for Christmas, it was actually purchased at the end of November 2015 and I had no issues flashing.  I'm not sure if you would get this far without doing it but did you make sure to follow step 4? "4.Update arduino files (variants.cpp and USBcore.cpp) with the one(s) present in src\ArduinoDUE\AdditionalArduinoFiles\1.5.8. or in src\ArduinoDUE\AdditionalArduinoFiles\1.6.5 according your IDE version".

Yes, numerous times both in appdata/local and appdata/roaming. Thanks for the quick reply, I'm glad to hear that at least you were able to get win10 to work.

I'm almost certain the location of the files I replaced were in "Program Files (x86)/Arduino/" not in appdata.  I think you can just paste the "Hardware" folder and let Windows merge/copy.
Thanks for a good lead, I'll try that approach.
(02-25-2016, 06:58 PM)Whitm Wrote: Thanks for a good lead, I'll try that approach.

Edit: Thanks again tjb1, your comment "let Windows merge/copy" gave me an idea I hadn't tried.  After having failed initially with the direct download, I was trying with the Windows installed Arduino IDE, with no luck. So uninstalled Arduino and I direct downloaded a fresh Arduino IDE 1.58 and Repetier 0.92, unzipped both and, after transferring both core & variant files, dumped both IDE and 0.92 file contents into the same folder.  Windows did sort it out and my board subsequently beeped happily making my lcd show Repetier 0.92.  Thanks again for the save.
Good to know, I'm interested to hear if your thermistors are reading the correct temperature at room temp. Mine were reading about 27-29C in an 18C room and I had to create a custom thermistor table, if you are experiencing the same thing I can give you the table to test.
tbj1, I haven't forgotten, Just spent the spare time today getting S3D up to speed. Maybe tomorrow.
@tjb1 , on this morning, after no activity overnight, my thermistor readings are:

Left extruder - 14 c
Right extruder - 14 c
Bed - 19 c

Ambient - (bulb type wall thermometer) 62 f or 16.67 c

Not precise, but at least in the same range, hope this is helpful.
Very interesting...wonder if they are all different due to resistor tolerances? Mine was reading 29C hotend and 20C bed and another user on Github reported 9C hotend and 19C bed...