Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Da Vinci 1.0 Does not print on Repetier
Question 
Alright guys, I am running out of ideas. I bought an XYZ Da Vinci 1.0 Printer off ebay a few days ago for a steal. Now however, I am dealing with several headaches. Go figure.

First off. I printed the xyz keychain and twisted vase samples from the printer directly almost without issue... however the printer kept asking if the filament was installed correctly, and i would just keep hitting yes, they were short prints. 

When I tried to print using XYZware, the print would just be a mess of random axes..... i tried printing a gopro mount and ended up with a spider web that didn't even resemble the base of the object. 

So i flashed my printer to Repetier .92 and at first I thought i was good to go... i stumbled across a tutorial on how to calibrate the table and then started working on that. I spent 8 hours trying to calibrate the table down to -1.475-1.5  and i finally got that.... and then found out that the calibration numbers where never consistent... leading me to believe that the sensor was off. 

So i said f**k it and tried to send a print from Repetier host... and the first thing i noticed was that when i told the printer to heat up in the software... it wouldn't actually heat up... but when i told it to preheat-abs on the printer it would. Also, I was able to get realtime heat info reporting to my macbook. And i can control table position with my mac as well.

Heres where it gets weird.

I tried to print a batman symbol... and when the print started, i noticed it was just running along the table without extruding filament... so I tried to extrude over the dump bin and when i send the command from my computer, I can't extrude at all. It doesn't try to extrude at all.... unless i go on the printer and tell it to load. then it makes piles of filament. 

Also, after i prime the extruder like this... and try to send the prints, the printer just stops and sends the error code to Repetier host "request pause, out of filament" even though it is full of filament. 

So whats the deal? Am I an idiot when it comes to the software? or is the printer faulty somewhere? I want to upgrade to a e3d V6 print head asap... but i figure I should at least be able to get a couple basic prints out of the way, such as the mounting brackets for a v6. 

I've requested a new print head from XYZ... hopefully they don't tell me to screw off since i bought my printer on ebay. 

At this point however, I am really at a loss for ideas with this thing... I can't even print a spool holder.... i mean i guess i have no need for one since the printer keeps failing to print. or feed, or whatever.

thanks in advance for all of your help!
(02-11-2016, 06:35 AM)DSchmidt54 Wrote: Alright guys, I am running out of ideas. I bought an XYZ Da Vinci 1.0 Printer off ebay a few days ago for a steal. Now however, I am dealing with several headaches. Go figure.

First off. I printed the xyz keychain and twisted vase samples from the printer directly almost without issue... however the printer kept asking if the filament was installed correctly, and i would just keep hitting yes, they were short prints. 

When I tried to print using XYZware, the print would just be a mess of random axes..... i tried printing a gopro mount and ended up with a spider web that didn't even resemble the base of the object. 

So i flashed my printer to Repetier .92 and at first I thought i was good to go... i stumbled across a tutorial on how to calibrate the table and then started working on that. I spent 8 hours trying to calibrate the table down to -1.475-1.5  and i finally got that.... and then found out that the calibration numbers where never consistent... leading me to believe that the sensor was off. 

So i said f**k it and tried to send a print from Repetier host... and the first thing i noticed was that when i told the printer to heat up in the software... it wouldn't actually heat up... but when i told it to preheat-abs on the printer it would. Also, I was able to get realtime heat info reporting to my macbook. And i can control table position with my mac as well.

I tried to print a batman symbol... and when the print started, i noticed it was just running along the table without extruding filament... so I tried to extrude over the dump bin and when i send the command from my computer, I can't extrude at all. It doesn't try to extrude at all.... unless i go on the printer and tell it to load. then it makes piles of filament. 

Also, after i prime the extruder like this... and try to send the prints, the printer just stops and sends the error code to Repetier host "request pause, out of filament" even though it is full of filament. 

So whats the deal? Am I an idiot when it comes to the software? or is the printer faulty somewhere? I want to upgrade to a e3d V6 print head asap... but i figure I should at least be able to get a couple basic prints out of the way, such as the mounting brackets for a v6. 

I've requested a new print head from XYZ... hopefully they don't tell me to screw off since i bought my printer on ebay. 

At this point however, I am really at a loss for ideas with this thing... I can't even print a spool holder.... i mean i guess i have no need for one since the printer keeps failing to print. or feed, or whatever.

Hi,
I would check the thermistor type in your firmware config.h file, make sure its set to 5 for the stock Davinci extruder thermistor. The bed thermistor is 300K custom, so you will have to either replace it with a standard type or try and choose a type that works decent.

As far as the filament error I would check and make sure the Filament Sensor portion in the firmware config.h is commented out until you sort out the other problems. HTH

Cheers,
MarkB
(02-11-2016, 07:06 AM)MarkBot Wrote:
(02-11-2016, 06:35 AM)DSchmidt54 Wrote: Alright guys, I am running out of ideas. I bought an XYZ Da Vinci 1.0 Printer off ebay a few days ago for a steal. Now however, I am dealing with several headaches. Go figure.

Hi,
I would check the thermistor type in your firmware config.h file, make sure its set to 5 for the stock Davinci extruder thermistor. The bed thermistor is 300K custom, so you will have to either replace it with a standard type or try and choose a type that works decent.

As far as the filament error I would check and make sure the Filament Sensor portion in the firmware config.h is commented out until you sort out the other problems. HTH

Cheers,
MarkB

Thanks for the info MarkB! Ill look into the config.h file. However, would you know if that would also fix my issues with the direct drive on the extruder? i can tell it to extrude and the drive doesn't even spin. The only thing that triggers the drive to spin is hitting the load sequence... when the firmware tells the printer to run 60mm through. 

Thanks again,
Andrew
If the extruder problem was just an issue with the filament sensor, I would think that it would not move through the printing positions without extruding, I would think it would sit idle with an out of filament error. Is there a setting for "dry run" printing that may be set? That prevents heating and extruding while going through the motions.
- Phillip
Information 
(02-11-2016, 08:14 PM)prpickett Wrote: If the extruder problem was just an issue with the filament sensor, I would think that it would not move through the printing positions without extruding, I would think it would sit idle with an out of filament error. Is there a setting for "dry run" printing that may be set? That prevents heating and extruding while going through the motions.
- Phillip
Just checked dry run, it is currently disabled.
Also, thermistor setting is at 5.

So far it will heat and extrude when you run the loading process, after that, it cools back down unless you set preheat in the settings.

EDIT : For some reason running repetier on my mac was causing the issue. Switched to a windows 10 system and I'm using repetier host and server together, it is working now, however the filament sensor is defective and so is the z probe sensor... not a surprise given XYZ's quality control.

Next up, e3d v6 hotend. Smile  Thanks for your help guys