Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Really Odd, Extruder Gear Deformed?
So... this is probably one of the stranger things I've seen. My DaVinci 1.0 all of a sudden started having problems loading and printing. It would heat fine, but no filament would come out. I've already done a print-head disassembly and acetone soak... twice. Didn't help. I tried reloading the filament, but had the same problem. I pushed down hard on the filament while it was loading, and that caused it to extrude straight out of the head [no curling, so it's not a clog]. Finally, thinking I might have burned out my extruder motor, I disassembled the whole chassis. To my great surprise, I found a massive dent in my brass extruder gear. Honestly, it looks like someone tried to load a small metal pipe into my 3D printer. Most of the teeth on the front half of my gear are ground away and almost non existent. Is this normal...? I seem to remember when I got my DaVinci that the extruder gear didn't have a massive canyon in it. The difference between the undamaged part of the gear and the damaged half is almost two mm. If this isn't normal [which I assume it isn't] does anyone have any suggestions on fixes? Whatever this is has completely crippled my 3D printer.

Thanks in advance!
(01-05-2016, 08:47 AM)Atlas Wrote: So... this is probably one of the stranger things I've seen. My DaVinci 1.0 all of a sudden started having problems loading and printing. It would heat fine, but no filament would come out. I've already done a print-head disassembly and acetone soak... twice. Didn't help. I tried reloading the filament, but had the same problem. I pushed down hard on the filament while it was loading, and that caused it to extrude straight out of the head [no curling, so it's not a clog]. Finally, thinking I might have burned out my extruder motor, I disassembled the whole chassis. To my great surprise, I found a massive dent in my brass extruder gear. Honestly, it looks like someone tried to load a small metal pipe into my 3D printer. Most of the teeth on the front half of my gear are ground away and almost non existent. Is this normal...? I seem to remember when I got my DaVinci that the extruder gear didn't have a massive canyon in it. The difference between the undamaged part of the gear and the damaged half is almost two mm. If this isn't normal [which I assume it isn't] does anyone have any suggestions on fixes? Whatever this is has completely crippled my 3D printer.

Thanks in advance!

Did you get this resolved?  Do you have some pictures? 

Kieth