Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Filament problems after E3D install
#1
I have recently installed a brand spanking new E3D v6 extruder on my DaVinci 1.0. I have four or five rolls of ABS from a name brand manufacturer, the rolls are kept in a plastic bin with a couple of large containers of desiccant and have worked fine with the OEM extruder and a knock-off MK8 that I was using for a while. However with the E3D any of the name brand rolls print horribly. The top and bottom layers have gaps in the extrusions and the layers are not sticking worth a flip (see picture.) I have adjusted extrusion and bed temps and feel like I have them pretty well dialed in. I am confident that my thermistor table is set correctly #8 with R29 removed on the main board for a Semitec 104GT.

I have picked up an assortment of filament samples from various places online, and was able to make a great print with one of the ABS samples. But it was in a vacuum sealed bag until I actually used it. The one good print in the picture is the filament sample.

I suppose the name brand filament rolls could have all absorbed moisture somehow, but I don't see how. I hate to just throw away all these rolls of filament but I can't figure out what to try to get them to print decently.

Any suggestions?

[Image: 20150930_202547.jpg?dl=0]
Reply
#2
put your rolls in a sealed bag with a lot of desiccant for some days - and you may use this kind of cleaner after : http://voltivo.com/product/filament-cleaner-blocks
Reply
#3
Thank you. I actually have one of those blocks, it came with the ExcelFil samples I ordered. It has not seemed to make a difference so far but I will make certain that I use it consistently. I will try the plastic bag thing too and report back in several days. Unfortunately I have a gas stove and I cannot set the temperature low enough to dry out ABS that way.
Reply
#4
the blocks will help only after desiccant action but they are not mandatory.
Reply
#5
If you have access to a temperature controlled oven (like a reflow) you can bake the filament around 180F to dry it out. Food dehydrator could work too, but haven't tried.
Reply
#6
Quoted from another source:


ABS, (Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene, Type: extruded):

Drying Temperature:
Range: 70°C to 93.3°C, (158ºF to 200ºF).
Average: 80.9°C, (178ºF ).

Dry time:
Range: 2 to 4 hours.
Average: 3.2 hours.
Reply
#7
I am sure I can find somebody with an appropriate oven or a food dehydrator to try. However, other than what was in use at the time, the rolls have been kept in a plastic bin with a tight lid and lots of desiccant. I mean I am more than willing to work on drying out the filament but in the meantime are there any other possible issues I should look into?
Reply
#8
Sure you tightened everything down properly on the E3D? Did the final tightening with the hotend at temperature?
Reply
#9
I did tighten it out of the printer, I connected the heater to a 12v supply until it was a very scientific "pretty damn toasty" and then tightened it. It looks like it is easy enough to get to any way so I will check it again.

I am leaning more in favor of the moisture issue (it seems to be obvious to everyone but me.) It turns out that desiccant in fact does not last forever and there is a limit to what it can absorb. The two pint sized desiccant containers in my storage bin have been in use for six to eight months, and this is Florida after all.
Reply
#10
Silica gel dessicant? Bake it in the oven on a cookie sheet at 200F for an hour... silica gel can be reused, just has to be dried out.
Reply
#11
OK, After a considerable number of iterations trying different things, I am finally printing again. Needless to say, the issue was not moisture however I now have a filament storage that is very well de-humidified. The extruder seemed to be partially clogged, I could add a bit of force to the filament feeding in and it would extrude fine--on it's own it would skip about twice as much as it would feed. Tightening and loosening the idler both made matters worse. I cleaned the tube and nozzle repeatedly with marginal results. I tried multiple different gears, a couple of different idler bearings, and three extruder assemblies. I could make minor improvements but still not close to good enough. Finally more in desperation than anything else, I tried every little suggestion I came across. Somewhere in the midst of using metal polish on a string to get inside the heat break tube, dropping olive oil in the top of the extruder, putting oil on a sponge to run the filament through, and heating the nozzle with a small torch; the problem was fixed. Not sure what fixed it, not sure I care.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)