Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Extruder Heats Automatically (won't cool)
So after about 245 hours of printing with my Da Vinci AiO I decided to try PLA. I reset one of my cartridges with the xyzPro to read PLA and the proper temps. I also changed my settings in Simplify 3D accordingly. Thirty minutes into an hour print, the filament jams and I cancel the print. After canceling I got error 0014 "please turn off". Rebooting only produced the same error code so I wiggled the thermistor wires and rebooted again. Code is gone!! Yay!

Now the extruder just heats up. When its sitting there idle it is heating up and burning the plastic. I swapped cartridges back to an ABS cart but still having the same issue. After a reboot it instantly begins heating the extruder without any commands and will not cool down. The thermistor seems to be functioning decent enough showing room temp if powered down for a long period but climbs to over 200 right away. I checked the resistance and got a 95k reading instead of 100k but it was still a little warm.

Any ideas on what would cause it to constantly send power to the hot end heater?

Open to all thoughts as I have not seen this issue discussed before, Thanks!!
No ideas?

I am stumped. I have a new extruder unit from XYZ I am going to try but I feel like the nozzle is just following firmware protocol which may have been corrupted which will not be solved with new nozzle.

I am running stock firmware but using Simplify3D to upload files.
(09-09-2015, 01:56 AM)CuztomDesign Wrote: So after about 245 hours of printing with my Da Vinci AiO I decided to try PLA. I reset one of my cartridges with the xyzPro to read PLA and the proper temps. I also changed my settings in Simplify 3D accordingly. Thirty minutes into an hour print, the filament jams and I cancel the print. After canceling I got error 0014 "please turn off". Rebooting only produced the same error code so I wiggled the thermistor wires and rebooted again. Code is gone!! Yay!

Now the extruder just heats up. When its sitting there idle it is heating up and burning the plastic. I swapped cartridges back to an ABS cart but still having the same issue. After a reboot it instantly begins heating the extruder without any commands and will not cool down. The thermistor seems to be functioning decent enough showing room temp if powered down for a long period but climbs to over 200 right away. I checked the resistance and got a 95k reading instead of 100k but it was still a little warm.

Any ideas on what would cause it to constantly send power to the hot end heater?

Open to all thoughts as I have not seen this issue discussed before, Thanks!!
Hi there, Wondered if you found a solution?

I have a 1.0 that had 0013 error. So I replaced it with a 1.0A board. I now have 0014. At 20C multimeter reads (@the board) 2.2k and slowly increasing whereas on my mates printer side by side it reads a solid 1.3k
As soon as I turn the unit on, the extruder starts to heat and gets bloody hot in a minute while the temp says 10C " please turn power off" if I try to do a cartridge change (test).
Wondering id a new extruder unit will fix it. And which to buy?
Hi,

I don't know about the AIO, but on the 1.0. you can go into settings and turn on a setting called "Auto heat", which I believe keeps the extruder at a temperature so that it is always ready to print.  Perhaps you activated this when you were using other software?

Check your settings, and see if you have an option for "Autoheat" and, if so, switch it to off, and see if that helps.

This probably isn't your issue, but it's worth a try...

Cheers,
(06-12-2016, 11:08 PM)Jeff B Wrote: Hi,

I don't know about the AIO, but on the 1.0. you can go into settings and turn on a setting called "Auto heat", which I believe keeps the extruder at a temperature so that it is always ready to print.  Perhaps you activated this when you were using other software?

Check your settings, and see if you have an option for "Autoheat" and, if so, switch it to off, and see if that helps.

This probably isn't your issue, but it's worth a try...

Cheers,

It is in pieces at the moment waiting on a thermistor. However if you are correct I would expect the temperature display to go up but instead it reamains at 10C (below room temp).
Thanks for your input.