Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heater Element
Hello All,

I have searched the net and these forums, but couldn't find anything to answer my question. I recently bought a Davinci 1.0 at auction. As mentioned in another thread, the 0 ohm resistor was blown for the 12v power. I replaced the resistor, all is well except the head doesnt heat up. After investigating, a wire broke off the "heater" and also the thermistor basically fell off the nozzle.

On to my question.....my "heater" is not a "cartidge", its a Thermal Cutoff Fuse SF226E 227C10A/250V SEFUSE. The wires do not connect on one side, but one wire to each side. I ordered a replacement "heater" but after searching around, i'm not sure this was ever a factory original piece? I did order a heater cartridge (40w, 6x20mm) that I will use instead as the original wires aren't very good. I will also get rid of the factory connector for the heater.

Anyway, were there printers with this "fuse/resistor" used for heating or did someone throw it in there?

Thanks,
ELuZioN
Are you getting error 0013? This is my issue and I have eliminated :
the hotend PCB
The heat bead thermistor
The power supply
All cables except those in the hot end although I get the same +/- 3k resistence reading of 136.3k between the two machines.
So as far as I can see, that leaves the main board.
Anyone got an idea?
Thanks
Eluzion- can you post some pictures of this heater in the machine? It seems possible someone replaced the heater and maybe the hot end. The40 watt heater should work. There may be an upon race on the pcb if you bypassed the fuse before you corrected the problem that caused it to fail. I've also seen one of the transistors there switched the heater on and off fail from a heater short.

Troy- this sounds possibly that you have the burned resistor on the pcb.

Kieth
I don't have a picture of it but if you google "Thermal Cutoffs Fuse SF226E 227C10A/250V SEFUSE" there will be pics or an eBay link. I did not bypass the circuit, I replaced it with an identical 0 ohm resistor and the board traces are fine. When selecting "Clean Nozzle" the head never heated up, stayed at 23/24 C. I actually got lucky as one of the wires that was attached to the Thermal cutoff had broken inside the insulation or I would have taken out the resistor I replaced or possibly damaged the board when I tried to test it. I just received my 40W heater and should be good to go in a few days when I have time to put it back together. I have 12V at the plug to the heater (in test). I'll get rid of that plug with a Molex connector or solder if I am lazy.

At this point I'm firmly convinced someone replaced the stock heater with this Thermal Resistor, for what reason I am unsure. Luckily it was an easy fix and it doesn't look like it damaged anything permanently. The display shows 6 total hours of use, and the two cartridges of filament are nearly full. I did some adjustments and tests, the motors all work fine and the bed heats up nicely. The new heater and thermistor are all that's left to test.

Regards,
EluZioN
I took a picture of what was in there, horribly soldered and all. Hopefully it will attach. Smile[Image: IMG_0088_3.jpg]
That is definitely not the stock heater. That's very interesting that someone replaced it with that instead.
Hi Kieth,
I have replaced the heater, still not quite spec 3.6 ohms but rather 3.8-3.9. Still getting the error 0013. I have the FW 1.1 j board, the one with the SD card on the far side not the microSD in the centre.
So I'm not sure which resistor you think might be sus, ie no R271
Thanks
Troy, please Measure voltage between each thermistor wire of the bed and ground and tell me what you get. I'm leaving toward someone shouted heater write to thermistor damaging the pcb. The voltage measurement will help tell.

Kieth
Hello All,

I got the new heater installed (soldered) and everything seems good to go. I did a load and clean nozzle, feed and plastic comes out, so surely going in the right direction. All that's left to do now is calibrate the bed and try a test print Smile

Regards,
EluZioN
Hello Everyone/ Kieth
I came across a scenario where my extruder stopped reaching 230c it heats up to 220c and then continues to fluctuate below 220c.Because of this i replaced the extruder heater and Checked/secured the thermistor. When that didnt work i completely changed the Extruder with a new one from XYZ. Unfortunately, even a new extruder didn't solve my problems. I am beginning to believe i may have shorted out the Motherboard when swapping out the heating element, But if I did would it even reach 220c? nothing looks burnt or damaged on the mother board.
I am a newb so i appreciate any help with repairing and problem solving.
Can you verify for me with a picture of the board?

Kieth
Quote:Can you verify for me with a picture of the board?

Kieth

I am unable to uplaod a photo small enough and compressed it as small as possible.
Quote:

Kieth

I am unable to uplaod a photo small enough and compressed it as small as possible.

I didnt mean to send that message as i was not done. I have the original first release of Da Vinci 1.0. I will continue to try to find a way to post a photo.

https://forum.voltivo.com/showthread.php?tid=8214

The photo of the da vinci 1.0 in this thread is the mother board that is on my 3d Printer . Thanks Kieth/Makers.
Kieth
Few things,
1, check the led lights on the main board near the power connector when the heater is on. If they are dimming or going out the resistor near the associated light may be bad. Test the resistance, there are threads telling how to do this.
2, if the resistor are good but led is dimming or going out you may have a bad power supply.
3, double and quadruple check the connections to the heater, especially in the black connector. Perhaps run temp wires from the motherboard to the heater to make sure.

Sorry that's all I can think of right now...

Kieth
Quote:Few things,
The voltage readings from my resistors.
R16 -3.39
R15 -1.57
R17 -10.23
R22 registers no voltage read. It is right above the the connector for the heating element. So i am guessing that the r22 103 resistor needs to be replaced? This is the first time I have ever done anything like this, thank you for making me capable.

1, check the led lights on the main board near the power connector when the heater is on. If they are dimming or going out the resistor near the associated light may be bad. Test the resistance, there are threads telling how to do this.
2, if the resistor are good but led is dimming or going out you may have a bad power supply.
3, double and quadruple check the connections to the heater, especially in the black connector. Perhaps run temp wires from the motherboard to the heater to make sure.

Sorry that's all I can think of right now...

Kieth