Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Extruder gears/stepper sounding very rough
So my extruder gears seems to have developed an issue recently, prints fine for a few minutes then starts making grinding/creaking/clicking noises.
I’m not actually sure whether the noise is coming from the gears or the stepper motor.
Strange thing is, it still seems to be printing fine but the noise is very annoying and something’s clearly not right.
A few things I’ve ruled out :-
It’s not jamming or clogging. I’ve taken it apart, checked and cleaned it. Filament is extruding fine during the noise.
It’s not filament related, I’m getting this with all types including ABS.
It’s not a bed levelling issue, I have a 0.2mm gap all round the bed and the first layer prints fine.
This seems to be a different issue from when filament swells and jams. I’ve had that before when experimenting with PLA.
The fact it’s fine for a few minutes before the noise starts leads me to suspect a heat issue somewhere and/or possibly wear in the gears or the stepper.
I haven’t made any recent changes to my setup which has been fine for months.
Any thoughts ?
Davinci 1.0 with repetier 0.92 & E3D hotend
Slicer - Simplify3d 

https://forum.voltivo.com/showthread.php?tid=8370
https://forum.voltivo.com/showthread.php?tid=8527
Cheers Tom, I'll give the "stupid fix" a try later.
I'm hoping to avoid the hassle of having to replace the gears but it might well come to that. Are they know to cause this problem when they get worn ?
Slicer - Simplify3d 

Yes, especially the idler
Well, the stupid fix didn't work for me. Sad
Guess I'll try printing your idler wheel next Tom.
Which would you recommend, the one with teeth or without ?
Slicer - Simplify3d 

Finally solved it ! Smile
I printed an ABS idler wheel and was about to replace the stock wheel but when I took it off, I noticed a lot of gunk (grease and dirt) behind it and on the shaft. So I cleaned it up and re-greased the shaft. I decided to bung the stock wheel back on to see if cleaning it had made any difference and hey presto, the clicking's gone. It's quiet as a mouse again, yay. Smile
Slicer - Simplify3d