Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stainless Steel PLA
Does anyone know a cheap way to polish the stainless steel pla without using a rock tumbler?
x
x
Barry, did you start giving me negative karma again for some reason? If so, I'm done trying to help you lol...
No but that's really weird. I never responded because I knew about the nozzle tip wearing down and I just researched some more on the topic. Not me but thanks for helping me.
Looks like some one is spamming the negative karma because I have -4 now. But honestly it doesn't bother me it's just a number.
I've only posted on here twice recently so I figured it was you or the guy who started the other thread...
With Bronzefill I've had decent results using a dremel with a wire brush wheel although I haven't yet had results as good as some of the pictures online.
Davinci 1.0 with repetier 0.92 & E3D hotend
Slicer - Simplify3d 

Have you gotten PLA working? I've heard conflicting results with the 1.0 and 2.0 with stock extruders. I'm hesitant to try PLA if I don't have a 'yes, it definitely worked for me' from someone.
Yes, PLA prints great on my 1.0 although I modded the stock extruder with extra heatsinks and relocated the extruder fan.
It was a very easy mod though and I can also print with the other types of filament listed in my signature.
Slicer - Simplify3d 

I picked up a cheap rock tumbler and I'm using stainless steel screws for the media. I ran a bust print last night for a few hours and checked it before bed and it had a light shine to the print. The print held up fine and did not lose any detail. I'm using one drop of dawn soap to lower the film on the print. I will post pics if it comes out well. I will run it for a good 24 hours
Interested to hear how you get on with the screws.
I have a tumbler too but have had poor results using shot type media.
Slicer - Simplify3d 

Here is the raw printed bust and the bust ran in a rock tumbler for 12 hrs with stainless steel screws of different sizes. It's far from a mirror finish but you can definitely can notice a sheen to it. I may try a smaller media like bbs to try and get a smoother finish. But before I do I want to run it for another 12 hrs as recommended by the manufacturer.

[Image: image-15.jpg][Image: image-16.jpg]
That's certainly better than the results I got with small round shot.
What type of filament is that ?
Slicer - Simplify3d 

This is proto-pasta stainless steel pla. I am going to run it tonight another 12 hrs as recommended by protopasta. I am using different sizes of stainless steel screws. I might try something like steel bbs to see if it further helps the finish. I think the smaller the media the finer the grit is. So starting with larger pieces of media to get a semi smooth sheen, then switching to a smaller media may be like changing grits in theory. My only issue with the steel PLA is the supports I used were too close to the print which resulted in small holes near the chin.
I don't think you'll get much from BBs, too smooth and not high enough speed. Screws work because of the sharp edges on the threads. Try adding really small screws.
You could also try glass blasting media or sand (especially "play sand" which has a pretty uniform grain size to it, and usually about $5 for a big bag at a hardware store).

You can also polish (after tumbling) with metal polish.
Thanks Tom,

I heard about using play sand but my tumbler says not to use sand. I have no idea why... I will experiment around I think for a while. I guess I will try to take it as close as I can with the tumbler and finish the surface with a 1500-200 high grit sand paper.
Quote:This is proto-pasta stainless steel pla.

Maybe just the light in your picture but it has the look of Bronzefill about it.
Is it not quite hard wearing on the Da Vinci nozzle ?
Slicer - Simplify3d 

I told ya man... soda bottle and a power hand drill. Ghetto tumbler. Run what ever f'in media you want, because replacing the drum (soda bottle) is cheap.

Kinda surprised you didn't just print yourself a tumbler lol