Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Additional fan control through S3D?
This is a long shot, but I thought I'd ask anyway.
I'm just getting into printing with PLA on my 1.0, I've designed and printed a layer fan to combat part warping, I can control fan speed with a fan controller (installed a PC PSU, so no issues finding power).
What I'm curious about is this: is there an extra set of contacts on the board that could control an extra fan that I can solder to? And if there are, is it possible to control the fan speed through software (I'm using Simplify3D).
I just know, with using a fan controller I will forget to turn the layer-fan on/off when switching between ABS/PLA.
Any feedback or alternative suggestions are welcome.
Thank you,
Anton
Anton, if you are using repetier firmware and a dav1.0, you can repurpose the extruder fan for an object fan that can be controlled via gcode. Then you just run power to the exruder fan and leave it full on.

I have an empty FAN2 header on my board that ive been meaning to install pins on to test out, but the above method has been working for me so I havent gotten around to it yet,
There are several threads discussing how to re-purpose the connector of the stock extruder cooling fan so you can use it as layer cooling fan controlled via gcode. Needless to say that you'll need to use the Repetier firmware.
hi

I connected the fan directly from the extruder on the motherboard. (two pins of the middle of the FAN2 connector). The fan will remain on when the printer is on.

I plugged my cooling fan PLA on the extruder and I activated the control over repetier[Image: m5NMMYih.jpg]
Thank you guys for your help Wink
I did not want to go with Repetier, no reason other than I didn't want to spend time flashing the printer (will probably end up flashing the firmware later anyway for curiosity's sake)
In Simplify3D there is an option that controls the main fan's speed on per layer basis. I thought I would take Nepenthy's idea and plug my layer fan into the main fan connector on the extruder, and run the main fan at 100% (hard wired into the PSU) . That however, proved to be impossible since the setting for the fan control in S3D does not actually control anything. This was also verified with S3D tech support- even though there is an option in the setting menu to change fan speed it does not work with da vinci printers since the only fan in the printer is meant to run at 100% whenever anything is being printed. Bummer.
So with that in mind, I decided to leave the stock fan/plug alone. I wired the 2nd fan into this: http://www.amazon.com/Unique-Goods-Digit...1XDJ03RNXE which in turn got it's 12V directly from the power supply. It's a bit on the pricier side, but it controls the speed and gives you a speed % readout.
So far I am pretty happy with how everything worked out.
I have printed a bunch of stuff in PLA now, and the results have been excellent! I got a sample of Woodfill, Bamboofill, Bronzefill, Copperfill in the mail today, so I am very exited to see if the printer can print those reliably.[Image: IMG_0876.jpg][Image: IMG_0877.jpg]
Dude, it takes like 5 minutes to flash the printer and you'll get it up and running fully unlocked, like a new, better printer. If you are planning to do it eventually then you are wasting your time by not doing it now Wink
Yeah, i guess I should have mentioned there needs to be firmware changes in order to control the fan via gcode, mainly just implementing repetier.
But I mirror oscahies comment, you have already reached the ceiling on what you can control with stock firmware. 5 yr olds rival my attention span, so if I can happily flash and function on repetier, Im confident anyone can.

Nice looking implementation though. U could also use your new switch and manual speed control for a side fan, once you switch to repetier and control the object fan via code. Wink
Thanks guys.
I didn't realize that flashing takes that little time/effort. Do you know if there's a one-stop-shop guide on flashing, and if there is, could you point me in the right direction please.
As far as my test prints with Woodfill and Copperfill are concerned- they were a failure, surprise surprise . Woodfill printed for about an hour before becoming unable to feed the filament through, and Copperfill printed for all of 2 minutes. Oh well, time to try some new things I guessSmile
https://forum.voltivo.com/showthread.php?tid=8441