Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to 3D and got the Da Vinci! Opinions.
There was a deal on Newegg this past weekend I had to take. $349 shipped for the Da Vinci 1.0A. I rationalized this as a both a useful and fun new skill and hobby, as well as a college graduation gift to myself. I've got a couple questions though.

I've known about 3D printing for a while and it seems like a great new hobby to pick up, but price deterred me until I saw this. The past couple days I've been reading and absorbing everything I can about 3D printing and the Da Vinci. I'm pretty technical and like to mod and tinker with all my tech toys so I'm not afraid to dive into any of that.

So far from what I've gathered the best route to go as a long term hobby is to flash the Da Vinci to Repetier and use this paired with Slic3r in order to get the most control, improve quality, and to use spools instead of cartridges. I'm not afraid to do this, I'm just wondering if there is any benefit to waiting until my warranty expires. Obviously if something goes wrong it wont be covered but 90 days is nothing anyways. But I've also read XYZ is shady and will autoupdate your firmware or brick your unit. I definitely don't want this to happen. I just got my printer today and haven't hooked it up yet because of this. I don't want to be blocked out of flashing it by waiting 90 days and some update comes along that I have to wait for someone else to find a workaround for.

Should I flash now or wait?

Also, what are the "must do" physical modifications for the Da Vinci in regards to longevity, usability, print quality, etc (within reason in regards to affordability for a newbie)? I've read about people replacing certain parts with stronger versions they printed themselves. Saw a guy who made a fan mount for cooling prints through the side handle. I don't mind having to learn the methods for adjusting everything.

Any recommendations are welcome. Any good links to resources and readings are appreciated! Thank you!
Hi;
A Da Vinci 1.0A for $350? Are you talking about the da vinci 1.0, right? Because the 1.0A is around $799.
I have the 1.0 for $399. I have it for less than a month, and I kind of love it. I downgrade it to 1.1.J to use the resetter. It works fine for me, just the XYZ software is kind of slow and buggy sometimes, not too bad for this price. I suggest you use it as stock for a month, and decide flash it with repeater or not. Even buggy, but I still love this printer.

By the way, I used Loreal Paris Studio hairspray Extreme Hold as glue for printing, works great and easy to clean.
Quote:Hi;
A Da Vinci 1.0A for $350? Are you talking about the da vinci 1.0, right? Because the 1.0A is around $799.
I have the 1.0 for $399. I have it for less than a month, and I kind of love it. I downgrade it to 1.1.J to use the resetter. It works fine for me, just the XYZ software is kind of slow and buggy sometimes, not too bad for this price. I suggest you use it as stock for a month, and decide flash it with repeater or not. Even buggy, but I still love this printer.

By the way, I used Loreal Paris Studio hairspray Extreme Hold as glue for printing, works great and easy to clean.

Maybe I should have said 1.0a... The slightly updated 1.0 thats PLA ready, has a different mobo, and a couple aesthetic things like the magnet on the door and 3D PRINTER on the door. I believe those are the differences from what I've read. Not the 1.0 AIO.

Either way after some more reading I decided to keep it stock for a little bit after reading about some issues on the 1.0a and some people having issues with layer shifting (x-axis?). Newegg has $5 off cartridges until tomorrow so I picked up 4. Limit 2 per color and only natural and green in stock.

Thanks, I'll give the hairspray a try. Wont get to play with it until this weekend.