Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calabrating Issue
Hi Guys, need some advise.

My bed was out a bit so I re calibrated the bed. It used the probe on the right hand extruder for the calibration of the bed.

Now just before printing it wants to calibrate to see where the bed is, but then it wants to use the left hand extruder. There's no probe on the left and now the nozzle is to close to the bed to print.

I have tried to take a feeler gauge to make op the space for the missing probe ( Think it was 2mm if I remember correctly) but no luck.

Tech support is not getting back to me.

Any Advice?

Thanks guys
Riaan
No one that can comment on the problem :ohmy:
The best advice you'll get is to stop using auto-leveling, because it's simply not reliable. Better to manual leveling, the procedure is explained in multiple threads over this forum and on the internet Smile
Quote:The best advice you'll get is to stop using auto-leveling, because it's simply not reliable. Better to manual leveling, the procedure is explained in multiple threads over this forum and on the internet Smile

I have tried it already with paper and feeler gauge. No luck

it doesn't matter how high or low I calibrate the bed the nozzle stays to close, it scrapes the thin layer of glue off the bed every time.

will see if I can upload a video on you tube later.
I cannot think of an occasion where the printer will attempt to auto-level on the left extruder. Can you describe exactly what you are seeing that led you to that conclusion?

Search the forum for manual leveling. I have found that the method using a piece of paper provides the best results. After you have leveled the bed using the paper method, go through the auto-leveling process (but don't make any adjustments) and at the end allow the printer to save the results, which it presumably uses to compensate for leveling discrepancies.

It is not an exact science (unfortunately.) The bed design allows for a lot of slop/movement and the OEM glass tends to deform when heated. In the case of the duo, carriage design can also impact your leveling strategy. On my duo, the right extruder is a bit lower than the left. Until I get around to fixing that, I default to calibrating to and printing with the right print head.
Quote:I cannot think of an occasion where the printer will attempt to auto-level on the left extruder. Can you describe exactly what you are seeing that led you to that conclusion?

Search the forum for manual leveling. I have found that the method using a piece of paper provides the best results. After you have leveled the bed using the paper method, go through the auto-leveling process (but don't make any adjustments) and at the end allow the printer to save the results, which it presumably uses to compensate for leveling discrepancies.

It is not an exact science (unfortunately.) The bed design allows for a lot of slop/movement and the OEM glass tends to deform when heated. In the case of the duo, carriage design can also impact your leveling strategy. On my duo, the right extruder is a bit lower than the left. Until I get around to fixing that, I default to calibrating to and printing with the right print head.

As mentioned above I have tried the paper calibration with the same results. I will upload a video. When I'm back in office tomorrow.
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slmr8Ajx54s[/video]

Please have a look. excuse my voice Confusedilly: I don't sound vary good on a recording.

From what I can tell it wants to use the missing probe on the left hand extruder to se where the bed is before printing??????????
Hi Riaan,
What you are observing is bed homing, not an attempt to calibrate on the left extruder. This is as designed. If you look above the bed next to the slide rails you will see a black, u-shaped optical sensor. When the bed homes, a 'flag' that it attached to the bed will interrupt the optical sensor so that the printer knows definitively where 'home' is.

I don't see any functional problem in the video whatsoever... From what I could see the printer put down an appropriate 1st layer strip (however it is tough to tell for sure from the video). The strip did come off the bed very easily, which will probably pose a problem.

What happens if you allow the print to continue? Are there quality issues?
Quote:Hi Riaan,
What you are observing is bed homing, not an attempt to calibrate on the left extruder. This is as designed. If you look above the bed next to the slide rails you will see a black, u-shaped optical sensor. When the bed homes, a 'flag' that it attached to the bed will interrupt the optical sensor so that the printer knows definitively where 'home' is.

I don't see any functional problem in the video whatsoever... From what I could see the printer put down an appropriate 1st layer strip (however it is tough to tell for sure from the video). The strip did come off the bed very easily, which will probably pose a problem.

What happens if you allow the print to continue? Are there quality issues?

Thanx for clearing the homing function.

As to the strip it comes out plat and peeling out to the sides of the nozzle. It comes off easily as I don't have any glue on the bed in the video.
As soon as it starts the second layer it knocks the print from the bed.

My first few prints came out nice. Then after about the 6th object I printed the parts started to warp badly, so bad that it just comes lose from the bed or the whole model came out screw.
I then did a auto calibrate and it failed. I then calibrated it until it said success, after that the nozzle was as close to where it is now.

I have calibrated it with the paper method. Tried it with a feeler gage the same way as with the paper making sure the glass is 99+% level with the nozzle.

I have done all 3 these methods 20+ times the last few weeks with the same result every time.

I have a lot of work standing still at the moment, loosing money every day the printer is standing still. I cant explain how frustrated I am.

I have also logged a ticket on the Da Vinci website, but no one is coming back to me.

PS: Excuse my grammar, I am Afrikaans and my English is a bit poor.
Riann,
No worries... Your English/grammar are quite good!
When you used the paper method, you want to adjust the bed so that 2 sheets of paper slide under the extruder heads with slight resistance - and very important to get the same resistance above each adjustment point. It is also important to do the paper leveling with the bed and extruders heated, since heat expands these materials and impacts overall height. If the heads are clamping the paper down too tightly, your bed is too high.

Also take note if you have more paper resistance on one extruder vs the other. If one is tighter, then you'll want to favor that one as you calibrate and use that one as your default printing head. In my case, the right one is lower and if I print with the left extruder the right print head drags across the print, often pulling it off... (I still need to rectify that on mine, however I rarely print anything that requires both extruders.)

Finding just the right amount of paper resistance takes practice and requires experimentation & multiple iterations until you master the technique. It is a frustrating process to learn at first, however once you've done it a time or two you will get the hang of it.
Hi Guys

I have been struggling for more than 70+ hours already. That's almost 2 months of my salary gone.

I am at a point that I want to return the printer but I'm not getting any response from XYZ... I have logged tickets on the website and I have sent e-mails. NO LUCK

Do u guys have a contact I can phone on Skype?

I have now celebrated the bed probably 100+ times. I don't think its a calibrating issue. If I take the feeler gauge at different thickness's and put it on the metal flanges where the printer calibrates from; the nozzle still sits at the same spot each and every time, no matter what I do. Even if I move the bed lower before printing (without calibrating it) , the nozzle still scrapes the thin layer of glue off the bed.

Can it be a firmware issue?

I have also taken the nozzles out to see that everything is clean.

Regards
Riaan
Okay I finally got a response from a Kristel. I hope to get a phone call soon
Kristel gave me quite a few frustrating calls. She does not sound very clued up at all, and could not sort the printer out.

Now the tech support stopped again. It has been almost a week now and no response.

I don't think it is a calibration issue any more.

Where must the bed stop if u click on the Home axes? Mine stops the nozzle 4.3mm above the bed? From the instructions I got it should be 0.2mm

[URL=http://s812.photobucket.com/user/Mal-jan/media/exampels/20150417_230737_zpsebbqjtlr.jpg.html"/>[/URL]