Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DaVinci 1.0 Using Dual Extruder
Alright so I know that there are a few threads already about converting the 1.0 from one extruder to two but they have not been very popular, I was comparing my printers motherboard to the duo motherboard and they are very similar. Just some missing connections, but I didn't exactly know how to populate the board with those connections. I also read that if someone developed a new carriage to hold this other extruder along with the original, which I am willing and capable of doing. I am not so much worried about the extruder portion of the project mostly because I was planning on developing and marketing my own type of extruder anyway. The main reason that I want to do this is because I really need water soluble support material i'm sick of my parts coming out and looking terrible after removing the regular supports. I am just looking for someone to help me figure out how to populate the motherboard with these connections, any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!
you means you want to populate the missing resistors capacitors, mosfets and driver on the board ?
Yes I would like to know how I would begin to populate the board with those. Thanks.
Converting the davinci 1.0 to dual extruders seems to be a tantalizing idea to a small, but enthusiastic, group of Davinci 1.0 owners. I suspect that it can be done for under $50 and just a few hours of work. The problem is, until someone posts very detailed instructions, this is a risky endeavor. I am an electrical engineer, and I don't have a 2.0 to do a direct comparison, but it appears to me that the 1.0 and 2.0 use the same motherboard. An extra stepper motor chip would be easy to install. It looks like there a few other caps and resistors that would also be pretty easy to add. The extra CMOS would be harder to surface mount to the breadboard, but as long as it had a heatsink and a fan it could be installed upright. And once there is an additional fan back there, I would add heat sinks to the other stepper motor chips to either prolong their life, and/or allow me to upgrade the stepper motors to 1.5A.

The risky parts are:
What is the exact number or components that need to be added? (missing even one flyback diode could burn out the motherboard)
What are the exact values of the parts to be added? (a wrong value could cause severe damage)
What version of firmware would work? (the wrong firmware could really mess things up)

I already bought and installed the E3D v6, so I could use the old hotend as the second extruder (support material? second color? maybe modify the old hotend and add extra heatsink/fan combo?)

So the trade off becomes $50 to add a second extruder vs I could break everything.
Wow... The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence... I have a 2.0 duo but wish I'd gone with the 1.0 for the larger print bed and less hassle since the extruders aren't level with each other.
So you have now another extruder, but you havent installed it right? You're just waiting for someone to post some instructions? Just wanted to make sure thats what you said, thanks.
And I figure that if I have a picture of both motherboards then I feel it wouldnt be as bad I mean I wanted to start playing around with it and testing points to see if there is voltage going to the contacts just to be sure. But as to the firmware, if you get repetier you just have to change a couple settings with some trial and error, and now I am experimenting with learning to write Gcode, but I feel that tweaking the firmware would be the easiest part. And I am not very experienced with electrical engineering but maybe we can collaborate on this if I figure out anything. Thanks again.
Have you tried messing around with the leveling of them because the single extruder is quite a pain. The "smart break away filament" isn't very smart. When you remove the filament from the part, it doesn't remove very cleanly, it leaves the surface very rough and terrible looking, I desperately need dual extruders for water soluble support filament.
Bump! did any one look at this yet?
Your probably better off finding a 3rd party MB that supports dual extruders and putting moded firmware on. It would def cost more but would save the hassle of soldering and screwing up.
I know a aftermarket MB would be better, but this is more of a temp solution. I will probably just end up selling my Dav after I get my other printer built. I have a friend that is a electrical engineer and he laughed at me when I asked him if he could do it. He says that it will be pretty easy (for him at least) so why not lol. I don't have a lot of extra money and more importantly time to dump into this thing so it seems like this is the way I want to go.
(03-26-2015, 12:55 PM)RyanPAlright Wrote: so I know that there are a few threads already about converting the 1.0 from one extruder to two but they have not been very popular, I was comparing my printers motherboard to the duo motherboard and they are very similar. Just some missing connections, but I didn't exactly know how to populate the board with those connections. I also read that if someone developed a new carriage to hold this other extruder along with the original, which I am willing and capable of doing. I am not so much worried about the extruder portion of the project mostly because I was planning on developing and marketing my own type of extruder anyway. The main reason that I want to do this is because I really need water soluble support material i'm sick of my parts coming out and looking terrible after removing the regular supports. I am just looking for someone to help me figure out how to populate the motherboard with these connections, any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

ok thinking outside the box ... what you need is a couple of relays to select the proper extruder and a temperture controler.  Add these items rather than mod your board. And some firmware improvements.  Then you don't trash your board.  anyway it is another way.Idea
s