Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skinnyed out version of my Hexagon carriage
Here is the latest version of my Davinci MK8/Hexagon extruder. It lost some weight.
I will post it to Thingiverse after I get a successful print.
Changes made to the shape, the hot end is turned 90 degrees so the heater and thermistor wires point straight out from the carriage. This will eliminate the need to bend the wires. Also the shroud for the hot end heat sink fits the fins better.

[Image: new1.jpg][Image: new2.jpg][Image: new3.jpg][Image: new4.jpg]
Looks good so far, I connected to your webcam and was watching your printer print it out.

Would like to see a larger cutout that would handle the E3D hot end. hint hint. Wink
I would have made one already if I knew the dimensions. For fitment, the most important dimensions would be the over all length and diameter. I don't see any other dimensions that would change things much except for length. Length will make a difference in the ability to bed level properly. I think the E3D is longer than a Hexagon.
Maybe this model helps? http://www.thingiverse.com/download:1152801 I don't know how accurate it is though but you could compare with the official measurements in the e3d website.
oh nooo!
I just started to print out your old carriage.

Ok, I'll brint out both and compare them afterwards.
Quote:I would have made one already if I knew the dimensions. For fitment, the most important dimensions would be the over all length and diameter. I don't see any other dimensions that would change things much except for length. Length will make a difference in the ability to bed level properly. I think the E3D is longer than a Hexagon.

I have a spare E3D if you need to use it for fitment.
I think it is a bit longer and wider and the mounting may be different.

I can run it over to you if you want.

-Jim
Markus, My new carriage wont be ready for a while. I still need to come up with a way to retain the stepper motor and I am waiting on a set of reamers for the bearing holes.
The "old" design is what I am printing all my stuff with and it works great. With the new design I addressed a few of the concerns some guys had such as mass and cooling. Other than that it is the same.
I just finished printing one of the new designs using Simplify3d and I have to say it was money well spent. Everything turns out better especially support.

Quote:oh nooo!
I just started to print out your old carriage.

Ok, I'll brint out both and compare them afterwards.
I appreciate that Jim, I think the top should be the same as the Hexagon but from there down it is different.
If you want to meet at the same spot around 3pm that would be great.
Chris

Quote:
Quote:I would have made one already if I knew the dimensions. For fitment, the most important dimensions would be the over all length and diameter. I don't see any other dimensions that would change things much except for length. Length will make a difference in the ability to bed level properly. I think the E3D is longer than a Hexagon.

I have a spare E3D if you need to use it for fitment.
I think it is a bit longer and wider and the mounting may be different.

I can run it over to you if you want.

-Jim
I see the E3D site has engineering drawings, problem solved. Never mind Jim Smile
Quote:I see the E3D site has engineering drawings, problem solved. Never mind Jim Smile

Sorry did not see your message in time to meet you.

If you got the specs off of there site good.
It's not to much different than the Hex.

-Jim
Here is the latest Hexagon carriage design built and working. The white carriage is the 1st design just for reference. You can see the heat distortion around the heater but is nothing serious and causes no problems.

Here is the version 2

[Image: Hex1a.jpg][Image: hex1b.jpg][Image: hex1c.jpg][Image: hex1d.jpg][Image: hex1e.jpg][Image: hex2a.jpg][Image: hex2b.jpg][Image: hex2c.jpg]
More

[Image: hex2d.jpg][Image: hex2e.jpg][Image: hex2f.jpg][Image: hex2g.jpg][Image: hex2h.jpg][Image: hex2i.jpg][Image: hex2j.jpg][Image: hex2k.jpg]