Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1.0A – No power to extruder heater fix
BUMP. Any ideas please guys?
I am having the same problem. I shorted the R271 pin which fixed the problem for awhile but now there is another issue. I must have damaged another component - I should have added the fast blow fuse. duh.

The left pin shows 12V when grounded to the chassis. I was also able to get the hotend to heat up by bypassing the ground on the board and connecting it directly to the chassis.

My guess is I destroyed the part of the board that controls the connection to the ground. - optocoupler, resistor, etc.

It is not an overly complex board so my guess is that they use an optocoupler between the atmel and hotend ground to control the temperature.

Does anyone know the complete trace between the micro controller and the hotend ground?
I recant that last statement is looks like the extruder is controlled by a mosfet TPCC8067-H . http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/...24293.html

Could have the mosfet have damaged?
Well,
It happened to me too. The R271 blew. Actually... Did not blow. It looked perfect, no physical evidence of it "popping."
Let me go over how much of a super easy and fast this is to fix.
First, the problem and something to beware of.

I was keeping the extruder nozzle clean with the wire brush as usual, I recall now while I was scrubbing the hot end I bumped the thermocouple wire and noticed a slight flicker to the LEDs that illuminate the inside of the cabinet. I must have caused a short at the thermocouple, or shorted the heater wire maybe... Either way just be careful not to bump the wires of either the thermocouple or the heating element with the wire brush.

After cleaning, I tried to print and error 0014 and no heat to the extruder...

I have 4 Da Vinci 1.0 printers and I run hundreds of hours a week on them. To say the least I have had my greater share of issues. However, to switch to another brand of printer at this point now that I'm a bit of an expert would be a greater loss. Tonight finding this post saved this printer from being shoved up XYZ's you know what since I only had about 560 hours on this specific printer...

Anyway,
After checking the connector at the extruder and doing some other test I found this post... luckily...

1. I put a multi meter into the extruder heater connector at the mother board.
2. Ran load filament command.... no volts at the meter and error 0014 again.
3. Cycled the power on the printer, ran load filament again, then quickly used a pair of tweezers to jumper R271 before the 0014 alarm went off again.
But instead.... We have 12V and heating!
4. Said some choice words and stomped around the shop for a bit getting my soldering station....
5. Put a chicken gob of solder over R271 to be sure to jumper over the ceramic resistor.
6. Test by running load filament command again, and all still works. Smile
7. Cut the positive wire of the extruder cable about 1" from the motherboard connector and soldered in place a automotive type Mini ATM fuse rated at 3amp.
8. DONE and all works perfect again.

The automotive Mini ATM fuses are super common and cheap and you have your choice in 1 to 1.5 amp increments. I keep these type of fuses around for project builds.

Hope this helps someone by not getting overwhelmed at the diagnostic and fix for this!
Thanks!
Shawn
So I had this problem and I did the repair. Now I have a new problem. When I turn on the printer, the printhead automatically starts heating up, and it doesn't stop until I get the 0014 error. Autoheat is not selected in the settings, and all my firmware is stock. I've checked the heating element and the thermistor and they both seem to be working. Not sure if I messed something else up on the motherboard, but looking for any answers that will get me back up and running.
FYI I think R271 is actually an SMD fuse not a resistor, it is the silk screen marking that is wrong not the component by the looks of it.
I fixed the R271 with a dob of wire and when it was altogether I started a demo print and the inline fuse I added blew...grrr ... have checked the repair plus the connector and can't find the problem. When I test the extruder heater plug off the board I get a beep from the multi meter so I have continuity there.
Once the MB is back in place the screen lights up as usual and then when the extruder goes to heat up the inline fuse blows again. I'm at my wits end and still can't find the problem. Any ideas anybody??
Pete
First of all, thanks a lot FireBookDuo, i had the same problem with the heater and you saved me a lot of time.

Maybe I can contribute a small detail. There is actually no need to solder to solve this problem ( I hate soldering SMD, my hands are just too big for that...)
A simple way to fix this is by using a double screw terminal and cutting the yellow 12V wire from the power unit, as shown in the following picture.
Please mind that the screw terminal reconnects the cutted yellow wire as well as connects the white cable from the heater (that was disconnected by the faulty resistor) to 12V. Still have to add the fuse holder.

Hey, so I just flashed my 1.0a J37 from fw 2.1.2 to repetier 92.10 using arduino 1.6.9. Used code Da Vinci 1 and Model 1. I had a rough start but I finally got it booted up with repetier fw. But I have no control over the printer. I can't jog at all from the printer nor from repetier. It always gets stuck while trying to heat. Temps stay at 27° C for both extruder and bed.

If using repetier I get sensor/decouple error fix then use M999. I also see Error:M114 in the repetier log. If trying to heat from the printer, after about 15 seconds the temp changes to "dec" and stops trying to heat. I checked resistor/fuse R271 (with a multimeter) on the back and it's NOT blown. I even tried shorting it just to check. Still no heat to the extruder or bed. I also manually checked for raising temp by hand, neither extruder nor bed even gets warm, even turned off the decouple check to troubleshoot and still doesn't heat up.

Is it possible the heating pins changed? The fan turns on when I try to heat and thats about it.

Any ideas? It's killing me that it's not working. Thanks.
(12-05-2015, 05:56 PM)astroball Wrote: So I had this problem and I did the repair. Now I have a new problem. When I turn on the printer, the printhead automatically starts heating up, and it doesn't stop until I get the 0014 error. Autoheat is not selected in the settings, and all my firmware is stock. I've checked the heating element and the thermistor and they both seem to be working. Not sure if I messed something else up on the motherboard, but looking for any answers that will get me back up and running.

I have the same exact issue? Any luck with fixing it?
Hello,

i am new here. I have the da vinci 2.0 Duo. Last week i had the thame Problem. I bricked the R 271 an the multimeter now says 12V. The Printer head have  both 8 Ohm  when they are cold. Now the Head ist heating but stopp with the same Error

Quote:So I had this problem and I did the repair. Now I have a new problem. When I turn on the printer, the printhead automatically starts heating up, and it doesn't stop until I get the 0014 error. Autoheat is not selected in the settings, and all my firmware is stock. I've checked the heating element and the thermistor and they both seem to be working. Not sure if I messed something else up on the motherboard, but looking for any answers that will get me back up and running.

Does any one know what the Problem is?
Sorry for my bad english Wink

ostseehuepfer

Ps: after having a look to a lot of pictures from the mainboard i am confused: the white Cable is connected to the left connector and the red throug the right  or vice versa?? 

-> http://3dtoday.ru/upload/resize_cache/ma...180840.jpg

Could that be my problem that i reversed the heaters?!
I indeed reversed the red and white Calbe. Left is white right is red. I reversed them yesterday evening.... Now the Printer Heats up to 220 degree and starts printing. Tomorrow i clean the table and make a complete test print.

maybe some one else did the same  -> The cable leng seems red is better left...

greetings

ostseehuepfer
Ostseehuepfer,
Thanks for the reply amd follow up. I dont have a duo I have an AIO, but i will look into if maybe I have crossed wires .
Thanks again.
Anyone else have any insight into my problem?
Dave
Awesome thread guys. I had this same issue on my 2.0A Duo on the Left Extruder. Caused by wire brush cleaning and bumping/shorting the heater or thermistor wires.

Since mine was the 2nd extruder, R271 was not the issue, but it was R272. Mine did not have any visible issues, but no continuity across it. I did the same fix of shorting a wire across it, and adding in-line fuses to the + side of the wires heading up into the printer. This was a life saver. Had I not run across this thread, I was going to order a whole new printer, swap the main boards, and then return it lol. This was much better for time and my conscience.

Thanks again!!
David Big Grin

Attached Files Image(s)

Hey guys,
Tried switching wires. Still overheating. Starts ramping up as soon as I power it on.
Any thoughts?
I also bypassed the resistor/fuse at J4 in my 1.0a, using the suggestion in the thread to tap into the yellow +12V wire and to put a fuse inline. It worked briefly, but now it's back to blowing fuses (4A and 5A). Any further suggestions?

I checked my heater and it's 3.4ohms. That's a bit low, but it shouldn't result in more than 3.5A, so I don't know why it's blowing fuses.
(06-26-2017, 08:10 PM)arpruss Wrote: I also bypassed the resistor/fuse at J4  in my 1.0a, using the suggestion in the thread to tap into the yellow +12V wire and to put a fuse inline. It worked briefly, but now it's back to blowing fuses (4A and 5A). Any further suggestions?

I checked my heater and it's 3.4ohms. That's a bit low, but it shouldn't result in more than 3.5A, so I don't know why it's blowing fuses.

Did you figure this out arpruss?  I have the same issue.  The added fuses blow immediately after I turn the printer on, not when I heat the head. I'm sure there is something obvious I am missing.
(04-09-2018, 05:02 PM)cojohnso Wrote:
(06-26-2017, 08:10 PM)arpruss Wrote: I also bypassed the resistor/fuse at J4  in my 1.0a, using the suggestion in the thread to tap into the yellow +12V wire and to put a fuse inline. It worked briefly, but now it's back to blowing fuses (4A and 5A). Any further suggestions?

Did you figure this out arpruss?  I have the same issue.  The added fuses blow immediately after I turn the printer on, not when I heat the head. I'm sure there is something obvious I am missing.

In my case, what happened was that the + connector on the heater module was shorting to the metal casing of the print head, which metal casing was grounded. But I think this would normally result in fuse blowing once heating starts, not once the printer is on. So you probably have a short elsewhere.