Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modding Marlin Firmware
Hello everyone!

I'm still working on my Da Vinci 1.0 mods - I have so far removed the stock motherboard and replaced it with Ramps 1.4/Arduino Mega. I have Marlin running on my Ramps 1.4 setup and things are really coming together, I just have some more calibrating to do with my motors and I'll be all set to begin my first prints.

With Marlin, I'm using the RepRap Discount Full Graphic LCD screen with the breakout board that came with it, and the results are looking really good - except for one thing. That buzzer is a truly awful, nightmarish sound. I know that I could disable it entirely, but I still like noise. My idea was to work with Marlin to, in the events when the buzzer would sound, activate a small servo motor to give a soft chime on a bell. I know it sounds bizarre, but aesthetically, I have big plans for this printer.

Ramps 1.4 has both aux pins and pins for a servo motor, so I know that it's possible, but I'm stuck on what to do with the firmware? I have created an arduino sketch to move a micro servo motor 45 degrees forward and backward very quickly, the hammer hits the bell, and I'm all good there. Now, how do I put that sketch into my Marlin firmware to execute every time it would otherwise set off the buzzer? Any ideas? I have located the buzzer definition section in the Marlin firmware, but I'm not sure how to change or redirect it towards the servo instead - any ideas?