Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vibration Dampeners - Loud printer? Here's the solution!
So I took some time the other night to design and test some rubber vibration reducers that go between the frames and the steppers. I have seen (heard lol) SIGNIFICANT reductions in vibrations after installing these. So I figured I should share the love!

These are printed out of black NinjaFlex.

For those who have not upgraded their printers to a ninjaflex compatible hot end I have put together some kits on eBay. The links below are for both the 1.0 and 2.0.

XYZPrinting Da Vinci 1.0 Vibration Reducers / Dampeners

XYZPrinting Da Vinci 2.0 Vibration Reducers / Dampeners

Or for those of you with a compatible hotend you can print them yourselves if you have some ninjaflex lying around.

The two thicker ones are for the Y and Z axis, the medium on is for the X axis, and the thin on is for the extruder stepper.

[Image: Dav1.0.JPG]
[Image: IMG_20150205_242206493.jpg]
[Image: IMG_20150204_233015925.jpg]
[Image: IMG_20150204_232429488.jpg] https://forum.voltivo.com/images/Davinci...ducers.zip
Thank you for posting the model files! As I mentioned in the other thread, I'll be printing these, even if just to explore and play with new types of filament Smile

On the subject of vibration, but perhaps slightly off topic: I currently have the davinci over this Ikea side table , which has wheels, and I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing... Would removing the wheels result in a less noisy printer/better quality or perhaps on the contrary the wheels help by acting as vibration dampeners?
It depends really.. Idk the foam feet on the bottom of the davinci's do fairly well at not transmitting the vibration from the printer to the work surface.
Just revised the eBay listing for a lower price!
Just relisted these and the new links are posted bellow, now will SHIP INTERNATIONALLY!

[url=http://www.ebay.com/itm/251874252546?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
Hi;
Do you get anymore of this for sale?
The ebay listings are ended.
Quote:Hi;
Do you get anymore of this for sale?
The ebay listings are ended.

I do, but since im on spring break I took them down yesterday. They will be back up next week when i get back. Thanks, Alex.
Just wanted to say that I bought these and just got all but the extruder dampener on. It is already not that loud of a printer being enclosed, but definitely cuts down on some of the harsh frequencies and the biggest difference is with the noises you get on acceleration and sharp changes in direction. Well worth the cost, Thanks.
Thank you for the review Nick, I am glad to hear they worked out for you.
The links have been updated and I will ship overseas now.

XYZPrinting Da Vinci 1.0 Vibration Reducers / Dampeners

XYZPrinting Da Vinci 2.0 Vibration Reducers / Dampeners
Hey Alex, I finally printed these today on flexible filament. Question: are they supposed to be printed at 100% infill?
Quote:Hey Alex, I finally printed these today on flexible filament. Question: are they supposed to be printed at 100% infill?

Sorry for the delayed response, I stopped watching this thread. Yes they are suppose to be 100%, but they would be fine if you have 3+ top and bottom layers if you didnt print at 100%
I tried both configurations, 100% infill and 3 layers + 45% + 3 layers, but didn't notice any significant difference. Anyway I've only installed vibration dampeners for the X and Y steppers and I can't really say that the printer is any less louder now... my biggest source of noise is still -by far- mechanical, coming from the bushings and the rods when the head moves in certain ways.
Quote:I tried both configurations, 100% infill and 3 layers + 45% + 3 layers, but didn't notice any significant difference. Anyway I've only installed vibration dampeners for the X and Y steppers and I can't really say that the printer is any less louder now... my biggest source of noise is still -by far- mechanical, coming from the bushings and the rods when the head moves in certain ways.

Hmm, well I don't know about your printer, but it may be pretty quiet already. I know the case with mine was the vibration from the steppers.
Do you have any plans to renew this eBay listing?
(05-16-2016, 08:40 PM)Debio Wrote: Do you have any plans to renew this eBay listing?

Hi Debio, I can print them for you and post them if you're in the uk.
Davinci 1.0 with repetier 0.92 & E3D hotend
Slicer - Simplify3d 

Nah, I'm on the US west coast. Thanks, though.

I think I'm probably going to end up giving in and upgrading to Titan + E3D v6 anyway, so hopefully I'll just be able to print them.

I do wonder about the debate over whether this is normal or caused by incorrect current from the drivers. I would love to try fiddling with the current, but I have one of the later 1.0A boards where the drivers have been integrated onto the main board.
I have an E3D on my Dav 1.0, it prints flexibles reasonably well but only at really low speeds (10mm/s max).
A better extruder should certainly help with this. I've been considering a Titan myself.
Slicer - Simplify3d 

(05-18-2016, 07:27 PM)scobo Wrote: I have an E3D on my Dav 1.0, it prints flexibles reasonably well but only at really low speeds (10mm/s max).
A better extruder should certainly help with this. I've been considering a Titan myself.

With the mod pack I posted on this forum I'm able to get excellent prints ninjaflex prints at 30mm/s with my e3dv6.
(06-05-2016, 05:53 PM)Nickjallday Wrote:
(05-18-2016, 07:27 PM)scobo Wrote: I have an E3D on my Dav 1.0, it prints flexibles reasonably well but only at really low speeds (10mm/s max).

With the mod pack I posted on this forum I'm able to get excellent prints ninjaflex prints at 30mm/s with my e3dv6.

Could you post a link to the thread.

Edit : never mind, I found it.
Slicer - Simplify3d