Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Great Repetier Experience
I just want to take a moment and thank Luc and the others on this forum and the other davinci forums out there. I was hesitant to load the firmware on my printer and was contemplating spending $100 so I could reset my cartridges and said WTF?! and jumped both feet in and flashed my firmware. I checked the back of my printer and I had the old board with the regular SD card so I loaded the old XYZware for one last time, loaded the binary and everything went super smooth. Flashing was super easy. Then I had to calibrate the printer and once calibrated prints were noticeably better.

Then I grabbed a Raspberry Pi I had sitting around collecting dust, loaded octoprint on it, hooked up a raspberry pi camera and BOOM! instant awesomeness. Every printer should be controlled wirelessly like this.

Next I printed a spool holder for my bulk filament and I did my first print yesterday with some bulk filament (Matter Hackers Glow in the Dark) and the print quality was AWESOME! In fact, I lubed all of my rods including my Z rods and my Z wobble issues seemed to become a non issue. Next it's shimming the bearings to see if I can get rid of this damn squeaking that has developed otherwise it'll be open heart surgery.

So Thanks again for all the great tips and sharing that happens on this forum.
Actually my printer also started squeaking after I lubricate the X axes ...
In the subject of squeaking, I also regularly hear loud noises when the head is traveling on the X axis. So I've been testing manual jogging at different speeds and it seems that my printer is particularly loud at speeds of 3700-3900 mm/min, so I've adjusted the travel speeds in the slicer (Cura) to a minimum of 4500 mm/min (75 mm/s), and it certainly makes a difference. X-only traveling is a lot less noisy now.
Quote:In the subject of squeaking, I also regularly hear loud noises when the head is traveling on the X axis. So I've been testing manual jogging at different speeds and it seems that my printer is particularly loud at speeds of 3700-3900 mm/min, so I've adjusted the travel speeds in the slicer (Cura) to a minimum of 4500 mm/min (75 mm/s), and it certainly makes a difference. X-only traveling is a lot less noisy now.

That's exactly what I'm seeing. It's not too loud except when jogging in the X which is why I decided to put some lube on all of the rods. It's a lot better with the lube now but still pretty noisy. I'm thinking it's probably related to the bushings that aren't enclosed though. I'll play with the speed this weekend and see if a particular speed makes a difference. Thanks for the feedback. I have to say though outside of Luc's firmware installing Octoprint with a camera was one of the best moves I've made. I'm able to upload gcode and kick off the print and then monitor it all remotely with the camera. That's great!
me only happen when moving right to left, so I guess when I lubricated some durty stuff went to left bearing
I notice it mostly when it's changing directions but i wouldn't rule out the possibility that something got into the bearings. It's very likely. I did clean the rods before I lubed but who's to say something didn't get in before this.
Squeaking when traveling on the X-Axis is primarily a function of the idle pulley the X-axis belt is looped around. The stock design for that pulley is horrible. The stock design is a nylon pulley with a pin pressed through it that rides in a set of cuts on the plastic carrier piece. This means that the pin rotates directly against carrier piece and will eventually induce wear on that part. The squeaking is a function of the pin rubbing into the carrier or the pulley rubbing against the carrier side walls

Easy temporary fix is to flood the area of the pulley pin with grease, but that will only be temporary. You will see wearing occur on the pin channel that will ultimately result in additional slop or ir-repairable damage to the carrier.

There are a few options out there to address this. Ultimately, the ideal solution is to provide a bearing mount for the pulley. Personally, I designed and printed a 2-part pulley that accomodate a 2 small bearings [6mmx3mmx4mm, I believe] one each side and re-used the pin from the stock pulley. My pulley is also slightly narrower so that it doesn't rub on the sides.
I just want to share this. I printed the same model (yoda with chin supports) from thingiverse both sliced in Simplify3D with .100mm layers and both printed on the same Printer. The Yoda in blue is done on the stock firmware and the Yoda in white done using Repetier. The difference is night day..

http://www.thingiverse.com/make:109125[Image: yoda10020150205_065306.jpg][Image: 20141223_070413.jpg]