Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nozzle Cleaning in firmware or via gcode
I was thinking of altering the firmware to provide a cleaning menu command and also a custom M code that would clean. This could be used right before the gcode starts the print and after heating the bed and extruder.

Is that a preferred method versus having a small block of gcode that would be inserted each time?

It doesn't seem like there is a gcode standard to follow.
There is a M100 command and cleaning nozzle is in maintenance menu of my FW
That command allows you to manually clean the print head, not to have the extruder go across the wipers at the rear. I was trying to emulate the behavior of the stock firmware.
it use dripbox cleaner to clean nozzle , by moving several time nozzle like stock do, not sure what you mean
I feel REALLY silly. I didn't realize it was there. Smile

Thanks for pointing it out!
I've put a chunk of GCode into Slic3r profiles to basically emulate the MakerBot starting process. Prior to printing it moves to the front left corner 5mm above the build platform, moves to the front left on the build platform. Extrudes a small amount a pauses for a second. Extrudes a line across the build platform. Lifts 1mm, and then proceeds to print.

I've found that this process will remove all material from the nozzle and get a clean extrusion started before printing the part or skirt...which was sometimes a crap shoot as to debris being left in the skirt.

I am running a Bowden Extruder.

Thanks
Could you post that gcode? I'm curious about that.
luc, I noticed the LCD says - Cleaning Nozzle

when you issue the M100. After its done, it doesn't change the text to something else like blanks or Printing... or something. Can it be made to do that? Does it make sense?
Well, M100 is just a command, it does not know what you did before neither what you will do after, if put M100 in your end GCODE display "Printing" , it is weird, same if you just send manually the command.

Clearing the LCD status is not good idea, as you do not know what have been done if you were not in front of printer just before, but adding a end string when cleaning is finished, like "Nozzle Cleaned", can be easily done but it won't be displayed 99.9% of the time because information will be immediatly overwritten by next action.

For commands, the usage is to display last action until new action is done, and this new action will update LCD.
Normaly if nothing happen for a while "Idle" will be displayed.
also when M100 is used during printing the status will be automaticaly updated by host, or printer itself if printing from SD
if you need LCD update or special message, the usage is to add what you want to display using M117
M117 Ready to print
or M117 Printing done
etc...
I've put a chunk of GCode into Slic3r profiles to basically emulate the MakerBot starting process. Prior to printing it moves to the front left corner 5mm above the build platform, moves to the front left on the build platform. Extrudes a small amount a pauses for a second. Extrudes a line across the build platform. Lifts 1mm, and then proceeds to print.

I've found that this process will remove all material from the nozzle and get a clean extrusion started before printing the part or skirt...which was sometimes a crap shoot as to debris being left in the skirt.

I am running a Bowden Extruder.

Thanks

Could you please provide us with this code (what your START and END look like)? Thank you!