Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Repetier Host firmware bedlevling firmware details
Can someone (luc??) explain what is done with the autoleveling settings? I have been able to get the bed leveled using the autolevel function. At the end of it, it asks if you want to store the settings. What is done with that? Do I need to use the value in the slicer somewhere? If I used the manual leveling, how would that change things?

I have read somewhere about bed compensation, which I believe is something the slicer software would do to compensate for an unlevel bed. Is this related to autoleveling at all?
http://www.repetier.com/documentation/re...z-probing/
I read through the details there and went through some of the source code, specifically the configuration.h file. It confirmed that the firmware is doing a transformation of all the xyz coordinates if autolevel is turned on. It seems like I would want to do a manual level first, then when that is really good, use the autolevel to take out the last bit of bed misalignment. Is that true?

How was the 0.28 Z offset chosen for the z probe? Is this the distance the probe is above e end of the extruded nozzle? I did I a rough measurement and got approx 0.5.

When the bed is at Z=0 should the end of the extruder be just touching the bed?

Why does the LCD show a negative value when probing? Does that mean my bed is that far out of alignment? Should I be trying for >=0 instead?
yes this is the mechanism, it create a position matrix and a zmin average saved in EEPROM
I do not know how 0.280 was measured neither the accuracy, but this should take in account the difference of the Zprop position (not head of nozzlebut just close by) and height of metal plate compared to bed position - so far it current value seems ok for everyone
yes ideal is Z=0

if zmin is negative it means bed it higher than nozzle when homing
it is not necessary to correct it as when printing it will go to right position
I recently switched my Duo to Repetier firmware with OctoPrint as per Luc's write-up. After I manually leveled the bed via the paper method, I was still having 1st layer adhesion issues and poor quality on subsequent layers. I went ahead and did an auto bed calibration from the panel and saved the results to EEPROM. My z=probe values weren't perfect but I tweaked until I got all three readings pretty close relative to each other.

Subsequent prints came out fantastic. First layer adhesion was great, and I got the best quality I've seen out of this machine in my 2 months of ownership. I did notice that the Z motor jogs back & forth maybe 1/8 of a turn as the head moves around the bed, so clearly the firmware is compensating for whatever leveling issues remained. This leads me to believe that auto cal is an extremely important step that has been somewhat minimized due to the inadequacy of XYZ's auto cal.

I am planning on coming up with a way to take advantage of the Z-motor jogging in order to tweak my level. My plan is to print a scaled measurement sticker to put on the Z-motor coupling, and then come up with an index pointer to put on the motor housing. I will then print a large box and note how much the Z motor is moving along the length of the X & Y axes, and use this info to fine tune the bed, followed by an auto-cal again to see how close I can get it. Does this plan make sense or am I missing something?