Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wireless Printing (OctoPi)
I'd like to set up wireless printing for my Duo 2.0J. Wondering if anyone with experience can make a suggestion as to the best solution and what the implications are - note that I'm looking for wireless printing and not wireless transfer. The WiFi USB card solution seems to be wireless transfer but still requires a visit to the printer to initiate the actual print.

Based on what I want to achieve, it seems an OctoPi solution is the best one - as I understand it it allows for remote printing and (with a RasPi camera module) remote monitoring of the print as well.

Couple questions:
- Do I need to downgrade the firmware or can the Octoprint software control 2.0J firmware? Does it have limitations (i.e.: no hardware control)?
- Do I need to install repetier?
- Are there any HOWTOs or guides for doing this with the Davinci Duo?

References:
http://octoprint.org
https://guysoft.wordpress.com/2013/08/04/octopi/
You would have to be running repetier firmware.

I print on my 1.0 with a raspberry pi and octoprint. There is, simply put, nothing better that i have played with.

Oh, about the camera ' do a google search because there are many inexpensive cameras that work with octoprint via usb. Im using one i picked up from amazon for 5 bucks.

Kieth

I print on my 1.0 with a raspberry pi and octoprint. There is, simply put, nothing better that i have played with.

Oh, about the camera ' do a google search because there are many inexpensive cameras that work with octoprint via usb. Im using one i picked up from amazon for 5 bucks.

Kieth

Kieth
Perhaps not quite as neat a solution as repetier/Octoprint but I have an old netbook permanently connected to the printer. Doesn't take up much room. I can connect to the netbook using remote control software and therefore control the printer remotely too with the stock firmware/software. I can control the netbook/printer with any browser, even the ipad.
I use an older Android phone as a webcam fitted inside the front door of the printer.
Davinci 1.0 with repetier 0.92 & E3D hotend
Slicer - Simplify3d 

All I just purchased a Trendnet Wireless USB Print server for around $45 on Amazon. I plugged my Da Vinci Duo into it and then loaded the client software on my PC. Works perfectly and I'm running the stock firmware on my printer. Now I no longer have to keep hooking it up via a long USB cable to my pc. I kept rolling over the dam cable etc (really annoying). The model # of the trendnet device is "TEW-MFP1" and if your interested you can find the spec's here - http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Wireless-...int+server

FYI - I'm running Windows 8.1 and the client software works.

Cheers

[Image: WirelessPrintSrvandDuo.jpg]
I actually have a guide I put together in the User to User Support section of this forum. Feel free to check it out!
Quote:All I just purchased a Trendnet Wireless USB Print server for around $45 on Amazon. I plugged my Da Vinci Duo into it and then loaded the client software on my PC. Works perfectly and I'm running the stock firmware on my printer. Now I no longer have to keep hooking it up via a long USB cable to my pc. I kept rolling over the dam cable etc (really annoying). The model # of the trendnet device is "TEW-MFP1" and if your interested you can find the spec's here - http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Wireless-...int+server

FYI - I'm running Windows 8.1 and the client software works.

Like the sound of this. I'll need to check it out.
Davinci 1.0 with repetier 0.92 & E3D hotend
Slicer - Simplify3d