Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
XYZHUB DAVINCI WIFI + Ethernet (no mods to the printer)
Hi,

There have been many requests for a WIFI adapter for the DAVINCI printer and while we tried the SD-card mod and internal mod, none of them really worked reliably for everyone (and without messing with wires).

So ...

After spending the last few weeks testing hardware versions & (many) USB-to-IP replicating software solutions to make the DAVINCI wireless (reliably) with minimum efforts to the end-user, I believe to have came up with a truly plug-and-play solution using a Raspberry PI B+, a WIFI adapter and a custom distribution of debian with a usb to ip replication stack that works. More importantly, I wanted to create a solution that did not require opening the printer and voiding the warranty or risking cutting the wrong wire *and* would work with any windows/mac/linux box xyzware or other. Note that while this solution works great for any Davinci (or other) 3D printer, it can also be used to share other assets like USB drives, digital cameras etc.

To get this to work, you will need a linux Debian distribution (or other compatible distribution) for the raspberry pi, 1x raspberry pi b+, 1x 8gb sd card, 1x compatible WiFi adapter (look ebay/amazon), 1x power adapter, 1x case and an Ethernet cable for initial setup. You will also need the usb to ip replicator software from virtualhere.com (visit their site to understand how this concept works). I can tell you that you will need to mess around with scripts etc to get it all working reliably on the Pi, but it's not that hard really.

If you do not want to mess around with assembling/coding (shameless plug coming), the formidable newborn code-named XYZHUB is available from my site (http://wctek.com/shop) for the cost of the bare parts + a litle extra to cover assembly+testing+warranty and custom scripts/web browser interface and to help fund further product developments.

Have fun and happy wirelessing!

F3

[Image: xyzhub_label.jpg]
Can be used with Da vinci Aio with scanner ? Scanner cameras are 2 different usb devices and you need to connect with original name and device descriptor or xyzscan doesn't work.
Do you have step by step instructions for how to install the software?

Thanks
(12-21-2014, 04:49 PM)I have never posted in a forum before, so hopefully this works right... damn near any USB device is compatible with Virtualhere. I used the Raspberry Pi with Virtual Here for a while, but it seemed like the Pi would start to bug out after a while. Currently I am running a Netgear ReadyNAS RN102 with Virtual Here installed, with a 7 port usb hub connected to it to share USB Dongles and USB hard drives with sensitive engineering documents that I do not want freely floating around on my home or work networks. Virtual Here client is a great stand alone .exe file that I have used on windows 7 - 10 64 Bit mode. The price for the license is well worth it, and Michael, the creator of the software, has excellent customer service skills. He is located in Australia, so factor that in when you are trying to contact him. Around 8 PM PST seems to be pretty good from my personal experience.  fr333n3rgy Wrote: Hi,

There have been many requests for a WIFI adapter for the DAVINCI printer and while we tried the SD-card mod and internal mod, none of them really worked reliably for everyone (and without messing with wires).

So ...

After spending the last few weeks testing hardware versions & (many) USB-to-IP replicating software solutions to make the DAVINCI wireless (reliably) with minimum efforts to the end-user, I believe to have came up with a truly plug-and-play solution using a Raspberry PI B+, a WIFI adapter and a custom distribution of debian with a usb to ip replication stack that works. More importantly, I wanted to create a solution that did not require opening the printer and voiding the warranty or risking cutting the wrong wire *and* would work with any windows/mac/linux box xyzware or other. Note that while this solution works great for any Davinci (or other) 3D printer, it can also be used to share other assets like USB drives, digital cameras etc.

To get this to work, you will need a linux Debian distribution (or other compatible distribution) for the raspberry pi, 1x raspberry pi b+, 1x 8gb sd card, 1x compatible WiFi adapter (look ebay/amazon), 1x power adapter, 1x case and an Ethernet cable for initial setup. You will also need the usb to ip replicator software from virtualhere.com (visit their site to understand how this concept works). I can tell you that you will need to mess around with scripts etc to get it all working reliably on the Pi, but it's not that hard really.

If you do not want to mess around with assembling/coding (shameless plug coming),  the formidable newborn code-named XYZHUB is available from my site (http://wctek.com/shop) for the cost of the bare parts + a litle extra to cover assembly+testing+warranty and custom scripts/web browser interface and to help fund further product developments.

Have fun and happy wirelessing!

F3

[Image: xyzhub_label.jpg]

(03-15-2015, 04:15 PM)I have never posted in a forum before, so hopefully this works right... And it did not post in the right place the first time around. damn near any USB device is compatible with Virtualhere. I used the Raspberry Pi with Virtual Here for a while, but it seemed like the Pi would start to bug out after a while. Currently I am running a Netgear ReadyNAS RN102 with Virtual Here installed, with a 7 port usb hub connected to it to share USB Dongles and USB hard drives with sensitive engineering documents that I do not want freely floating around on my home or work networks. Virtual Here client is a great stand alone .exe file that I have used on windows 7 - 10 64 Bit mode. The price for the license is well worth it, and Michael, the creator of the software, has excellent customer service skills. He is located in Australia, so factor that in when you are trying to contact him. Around 8 PM PST seems to be pretty good from my personal experience. thepicmaster Wrote: Can be used with Da vinci Aio with scanner ? Scanner cameras are 2 different usb devices and you need to connect with original name and device descriptor or xyzscan doesn't work.