Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which parameter should I change? (Failed large print)
Having now printed two (small) succesfull objects with luc's 0.92 on my "J37" Da Vinci, I wanted to take it a step further. In fact, one of the reasons for me to change firmware was to be able to up the temperature as I always got delamination with the stock firmware extruding ABS at 215 deg for taller objects.

So I decided to try with a larger box I previously printed with the stock firmware, but where I got severe delamination. I used a raft (3 layers/pillars), 90/230 deg, 0.2 mm layer height, 0.35 mm first layer height, 50 mm/s perimeters, 30 mm/s small perimeters, 70 mm/s infill, 50 mm/s solid infill and 30% first layer speed. I used XYZWare blue filament.

I had to stop when it started the first layer after the raft (the raft came out perfect), as can be seen from the attached photo. Can anyone recommend which setting I should change (or maybe recalibration of bed height?). As I am quite new to this 3D printing, I don't really have a feel for what is wrong just by looking at the prints...

I tried looking at http://reprap.org/wiki/Print_Troubleshoo...rial_Guide but couldn't really find something similar...[Image: IMG_0162.jpg][Image: IMG_0160.jpg]
I just tried to calibrate the extruder feedrate; this however did not help as the value was spot on... Tonight I will try to lower the bed a teeny bit to see if that's the problem...
Quote:Having now printed two (small) succesfull objects with luc's 0.92 on my "J37" Da Vinci, I wanted to take it a step further. In fact, one of the reasons for me to change firmware was to be able to up the temperature as I always got delamination with the stock firmware extruding ABS at 215 deg for taller objects.

So I decided to try with a larger box I previously printed with the stock firmware, but where I got severe delamination. I used a raft (3 layers/pillars), 90/230 deg, 0.2 mm layer height, 0.35 mm first layer height, 50 mm/s perimeters, 30 mm/s small perimeters, 70 mm/s infill, 50 mm/s solid infill and 30% first layer speed. I used XYZWare blue filament.

I had to stop when it started the first layer after the raft (the raft came out perfect), as can be seen from the attached photo. Can anyone recommend which setting I should change (or maybe recalibration of bed height?). As I am quite new to this 3D printing, I don't really have a feel for what is wrong just by looking at the prints...

I tried looking at http://reprap.org/wiki/Print_Troubleshoo...rial_Guide but couldn't really find something similar...

Looks like you are trying to print too fast. I have never got mine to print faster than 20 to 25 mm/s. I may be wrong but every time I have tried to go higher the nozzle clogs up and I get the same thing that is in your pictures.
I also tried lowering the speed, but not all the way down to 20 mm/s; I will give that a try after I have recalibrated the bed...
Don't use a raft. There is no reason for it with a part like this and it will cause these delamination issues you are having because if you look at the sliced model the acctuall print sits about 1/2 a layer above the raft.
Well, I actually do need a raft. If I don't I get unacceptable warping at the first layer. Since the model is about 6 cm high and starts with a plate 4 mm thick, it doesn't really matter (for the higher layers) whether I use a raft or not. But for the lowest layers I need holes in the corners to be relatively precise and without a raft this seems impossible to do.

Now, if I could print in PLA it would probably be much easier for this object...