Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Settings In Simplify3D (Running Repetier 0.92)
Just got Simplify3D, but it's printing off the right side of the bed. Any ideas? Running Repetier 0.92 on the printer.
Did you ever get this resolved? I'm having the exact same problem...
I can't quite remember now... but I have attached my S3D process file to include start and end g-code which has been working great for me. I just adjust these settings depending on layer height, infill, etc.
For some reason I couldn't upload the file... maybe I'm missing something.
Anyway, here's my configuration xml. Paste it in text editor and save as "something.fff"

ABS
Medium

Rectilinear
45,-45

G21 ;metric values,G90 ;absolute positioning,M82 ;set extruder to absolute mode,M107 ;start with the fan off,G28 X0 Y0 ;move X/Y to min endstops,G28 Z0 ;move Z to min endstops,G1 Z15.0 ;move the platform down 15mm,G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length,G1 F200 E3 ;extrude 3mm of feed stock,G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length again

M104 S0 ;extruder heater off,M140 S0 ;heated bed heater off (if you have it),G91 ;relative positioning,G1 E-1 F300 ;retract the filament a bit before lifting the nozzle, to release some of the pressure,G1 Z+0.5 E-5 X-20 Y-20 F{travel_speed} ;move Z up a bit and retract filament even more,G28 X0 Y0 ;move X/Y to min endstops, so the head is out of the way,M84 ;steppers off,G90 ;absolute positioning
Random Song

From what you can tell so far, is Simplify3D worth the price? Im starting to get really frustrated with slic3rs support generation, its easier for me to design supports in Sketchup and I suck at modeling. I feel like I barely know enough to get successful prints, and cant determine if simplify will make things easier or will cause me to start punching my beloved printer. Wink
Dave, thank you for this. I put it in a file and placed it in my profiles directory, but it won't show up in simplify3d for some reason. I even edited an existing profile I created (with notepad) and now that one won't show up.

No loss though as I am able to pick out the g-code information for start and stop. I'll add those in and see if it helps.

Thanks again.
Quote:From what you can tell so far, is Simplify3D worth the price? Im starting to get really frustrated with slic3rs support generation, its easier for me to design supports in Sketchup and I suck at modeling. I feel like I barely know enough to get successful prints, and cant determine if simplify will make things easier or will cause me to start punching my beloved printer. Wink

I am by no means an expert (very new to 3d printing) but have been very impressed with Simplify3d. I recieved my Da Vinci (first 3d printer for me) a couple of weeks ago. Since then, I have gone from bone stock printing, to using the xyz mod and slic3r, to using Simplify3d (just purchased it over the weekend). Still learning a great deal with all of this, but I feel for me it was worth the investment into Simplify3d.

Have you seen this video:
[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D968RL1Z6l4[/url]

This guy give a pretty good review and focuses on supports. Might be worth a watch to help make your decision.
Kevin,

Unless I pasted the incorrect code,

You should be able to click the "Edit Process Settings" button, then click "import" and select the profile you've saved.

I would add screenshots, but I seem to have poor "forum skills" when it comes to uploading files.
Quote:Kevin,

Unless I pasted the incorrect code,

You should be able to click the "Edit Process Settings" button, then click "import" and select the profile you've saved.

I would add screenshots, but I seem to have poor "forum skills" when it comes to uploading files.

Dave, sorry, yes i did get it imported. I meant to come back and update my post but work got in the way. Thank you again.
If you are not currently satisfied with functionality of your printer, simplify3d will not make it better. Personally, I got to a place where my printer was reliably running repetier and fed through octoprint on a raspberry pi. I started slicing on slic3r, but eventually switched over to Cura. At that point I was able to take most models, slice them, drag them into octoprint an click print. It was as close to drag and drop as I felt I needed, and I also had a webcam connected so I could check up on the print from my phone.

If you are satisfied with the capabilities of your printer, I do think S3D will take slicing to the next level, and I have seen an increase in print quality as I've transitioned from Cura to S3D. Obviously, the ability to manually specify where supports will be generated is great, but I think there are other benefits as well. In my experience, S3D slices extremely quickly when compared with Cura (I guess that's why I paid $150?). Also, the ability assign different slicing processes to different sections of a model, or a different model all within one print is pretty cool. I also think the sparse infill option can be useful depending on the application.

As I understand it now, the ability to change slicing parameter throughout the model is limited to the z-direction only. I hope that in future updates they extend this feature to be defined within specific volumes, not just specific layers. For instance, Recently I printed the T-Rex shower head and it turned out great. I could have saved a lot of material if I had been able to increase the fill density around the shower nozzle, but keep a lower fill in the rest of the model. This is the main feature I wish they would add, however it seems to me to be a fairly difficult problem to solve so I'm not expecting it anytime soon.

Hope those thoughts help you decide what you want.
Have you had any success so far?
Thx for this, I also went the octoprint/slic3r route and recently replaced the hotend because I was tired of fighting with it. Id say Im unhappy with my knowledge of 3d printing overall, not necessarily the printer. Reading your description steered me away from throwing money at the problem versus becoming more familiar first. Ill give cura a try to see if it can get me a little bit further and go from there. Thanks for taking the time to write that up!
Quote:Have you had any success so far?

Yep, that did the trick. Dead center on the bed! I went ahead and printed a quick test with that profile and it turned out great! Quick question, I noticed you have the nozzle diameter set to .41 as opposed to .4. Was that just fine tuning you did are do you have a different nozzle (I thought the Da Vince had a .4). Sorry for the newb question and thank you for the help!
Oh. That's definitely a typo in my config Smile
Thanks for letting me know.
I am starting using S3D and it is really better than Cura+Repetier for what I can see
One thing I have noticed anyway : there is no progression of printing on LCD or ETA - is there any setting or post-processsing command for this ? I was not able to find out

Thanks,

EDIT : I think there is a mistake in profile above : F{travel_speed} is not replaced in GCODE and this wrong command may block the printer
[strike]Luc, Are you connecting directly to a davinci running rep firmware? I just got paid for a print job and picked up simplify, cant seem to connect to it though.[/strike]

Nevermind, unchecking wait for start got me in. Without tweaking a single thing Im already getting a better print from the same model in slic3r. I really like slic3r, its what I learned on, but it was starting to leave alot desired.
Quote:Luc, Are you connecting directly to a davinci running rep firmware? I just got paid for a print job and picked up simplify, cant seem to connect to it though.

I am running rep firmware and connecting directly through usb. I remember I had to change a setting though. Look (in s3d) under tools/firmware configuration. There is a tab for communication. I think for "flow control" it had none. I changed it to hardware flow control and it started working. Also, in the machine control panel make sure you have the right port and baud rate. Hope this helps.
Yes - I use it directly with my 0.92 on Davinci - as Kevin mentioned, it need Hardware flow and uncheck wait for start as you found.
A lot of settings but also better quality

I also use it with my Makerbot clone but not connected for this one, I use wifi SDCard and I think to print from SDCard with my DaVinci as I noticied some strange pause during printing
So it is randomly pausing while still in contact with the print for you too, huh? I searched simplifies forums and didn't see folks complaining about it so I thought it was expected or something. If definitely kept me awake thinking the print failed every time it paused. I didn't observe any ill effect from the pauses, but I still don't like it. Wink
yes I did several 8h prints and no issue - but as they are long print I did not wanted to mess up S3D when printing to check what is happenning, not sure if there is a way to save the log of the terminal and see it after print is done - need to check