Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to compile and flash printer on stock firmware?
I have luc's latest source from github, and I have adruino ide installed. I've compiled, but how do I flash my printer running stock J firmware? All the instructions I'm finding on the forum is for the recompiled bin file, using early version of xyzware to flash.

Do I need to somehow take the compiled .hex file from adruino ide and make it into a .bin?

Thanks!
The ATSAM part uses a usb bootloader, you just need to flash the bin file already made (check XYZ Software Repository ) with Atmel's samba application .
Quote:The ATSAM part uses a usb bootloader, you just need to flash the bin file with Atmel's samba application .

When you say bin, are you speaking of the compiled .hex file from arduino ide?
to flash :
same pre process as to flash binary: use Jumper to erase stock
and use the button upload in arduino IDE (the one close to compile) after selecting the correct COM

1 ) Install Arduino IDE1.5.8 BETA (which supports Arduino DUE, same CPU as DaVinci XYZ 1.0)
2 ) Start Arduino IDE, open repetier.ino
3 ) Turn your printer off, shorten jumper JP4 (ERASE), turn the printer back on. Wait a second. Turn it off again, remove the jumper, turn back on.
4 ) At this point you printer is in erased state, so it will look exactly like erased Arduino Due. Windows users might need to install Atmel SAM-BA drivers.
On Mac the port will be recognized as an USB modem.
5 ) From IDE set Tools->Board to "Arduino DUE (native USB port)", Tools->Port to your printer's serial port.
6 ) push the Arrow button on tool bar to compile and upload fw
Arduino uses
github.com/arduino/Arduino/blob/1.5.8/build/windows/bossac.exe
Luc,

As usual, THANK YOU!

James, thank you as well.
If you compile FW I also suggest you do my modification in arduino sources :
https://forum.voltivo.com/showthread.php?tid=8138
Quote:If you compile FW I also suggest you do my modification in arduino sources :
https://forum.voltivo.com/showthread.php?tid=8138

Curious why this is not in your source files already? Also I assume if I compile from source I will get the latest commits on github?
because it is not in FW sources but arduino sources under windows 32b should be c:\programs files\Arduino\hardware\arduino\sam\system\libsam\source\USBCore.cpp
under 64b C:\Program Files (x86)Arduino\hardware\arduino\sam\system\libsam\source\USBCore.cpp
Ahh. Makes perfect sense. I'm new to arduino, as you can tell. Smile
It is better to provide the fix like this instead of providing file because of potential update provided by arduino
Luc,

just wanted to say thankyou for all your work geting repetier to run on the Davinci. I just flashed my firmware (using arduino1.5.8 on a mac) and ran my first print (from repetier-host on windows).

After one false start where the print lifted from the bed after a few layers I got the z-home position set in the EEPROM config so the first layer sticks. I ended up with z-home set to -3.05

--
Jon
Quote:After one false start where the print lifted from the bed after a few layers I got the z-home position set in the EEPROM config so the first layer sticks. I ended up with z-home set to -3.05
What caused false start and bed lifted ? sorry I try to understand what is your question
sorry - no question. Just saying that my first test print lifted from the bed due to extruder too far from bed on first layer. Now that I have z-home position dailled in it's printing perfectly.
Ho great
If extruder was too far you may need to calibrate bed if issue happen again - now you have a good printing you may no need but if happen again there is a function in maintenance : manual leveling to adjust bed
I also use the auto leveling function without saving result to EEPROM to see if my bed is well leveled by checking if the 3 values of Z-probe are consistent
I noticed that in v1.0-RC1, "Binaries have timeout for disconnected usb to avoid hang up." Is this modification to USBCore.cpp still necessary if I use the uncompiled FW source code instead of the binary? I saw that Issue #43 is closed, but it's still listed as a known issue in README.md.
not sure to understand your question,
binaries have usbcore.cpp fix but
if you compile fw from sources it is up to you to add this fix or not in arduino files
Thanks