Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Printing With Support Material / Maximum Dimensions
First off I want to say thanks to all the people who made the custom firmware possible Wink .

I have been tinkering around with the RH firmware on my DaVinci 1.0 and after a few misprints, bed leveling, etc. I was able to print some really nice models. However, I have run into a couple issues . I have tried searching the forums for others with these problems to no avail. I am still pretty new to 3D printing so It is possible that I am just being a bonehead. Anyway, I'll get to the point.

First, I have had some trouble with the support material generated by Slic3r. It can be VERY difficult to remove. When I was using the XYZware I could remove the support material quite easily using only my hands and fingernails; It flaked right off the prints. With Slic3r, the supports are very thick and rigid. I invariably have to use some kind of tool to remove it. I have tried a ton of different combinations of pattern spacing, pattern type, interface layers, interface spacing, and so on. Is there a way to get supports that are not such a pain to remove?

Second, I have had some trouble printing objects that utilize the full 200 mm build area. I have modified the xmax and ymax values in the EEPROM slightly and adjusted the "printer settings" under "printer shape" so that when I place an object in the center in RH it actually prints in the center of the build plate. However, I have created a model (golf disc) that has a 200 mm diameter attempting to use the full build volume. When I position it in RH it fits in the build area when centered, but after I run Slic3r, the disc gets moved off the build plate. I tried running the print anyway thinking it may just be a display error (keeping my finger on the power switch of course), but when printing the initial loop the extruder tried to go past the "0" location in the Y direction causing a loud click :ohmy: . Has anybody printed a model with a full 200 mm length, width, or height with success? If so maybe I just need to refine my settings.

I will be more specific about my EEPROM settings later, I am away from my printer at the moment.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have!
Quote:First off I want to say thanks to all the people who made the custom firmware possible Wink .
Second, I have had some trouble printing objects that utilize the full 200 mm build area. I have modified the xmax and ymax values in the EEPROM slightly and adjusted the "printer settings" under "printer shape" so that when I place an object in the center in RH it actually prints in the center of the build plate. However, I have created a model (golf disc) that has a 200 mm diameter attempting to use the full build volume. When I position it in RH it fits in the build area when centered, but after I run Slic3r, the disc gets moved off the build plate. I tried running the print anyway thinking it may just be a display error (keeping my finger on the power switch of course), but when printing the initial loop the extruder tried to go past the "0" location in the Y direction causing a loud click :ohmy: . Has anybody printed a model with a full 200 mm length, width, or height with success? If so maybe I just need to refine my settings.

This is possibly because RH is passing some coordinates to slic3r for the print center other than 100,100. Check the console log in RH when doing the slicing, you should see something like:

\slic3r.exe --print-center X,Y

If your X,Y is not 100 then your sliced object won't be centered. In that case you'll have to adjust the printer settings in RH.

This is assuming that your build plate starts at 0,0 and your X,Y home coordinates are negative. If you have 0,0 for home coords then your print center won't be 100,100 anyway. I've actually initiated a discussion about this on github, for whoever want to chime in: https://github.com/luc-github/Repetier-F.../issues/70