Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simplify3D Machince Control
So I purchased Simplify3D (S3D) today, and have been struggling to get it to control the printer Via usb. I can get it to connect, and I can turn on and off the Heaters, but i cannot figure out how to have it send a job to the printer, or any of the other options like jog.

To get it to connect I just unselected the wait for startup command under communication in the firmware configuration window. If anyone has any suggestions I am open to them otherwise I will be emailing S3D in the morning asking for my money back...
I thought I read somewhere that it only worked with that software of you sliced it and then imported the Gcode into XYZWARE. Correct me if I'm wrong.
that would be what you would do if you werent running Repetier firmware like i am. I want to be able to manually control the printer in S3D like I can in Repetier host. I feel like it is impossible that am the only one who wants to do this.
it is this one? : http://www.simplify3d.com/software/supported-printers/

they said they support XYZprinting Da Vinci 1.0/2.0/2.1 so I guess not using repetier FW but stock one no ?

Edit: Someone already said it does not support any davinci repetier fw https://forum.voltivo.com/showthread.php?tid=8053 but J one
Yep I read that post, but I asked again, because the were too quick to dismiss that it didn't work. I was indeed ABLE TO CONNECT, and control certain aspects. Frankly the OP of that thread didn't know what he was talking about and everyone else who replied seemed like they had no first hand experience with the issues. I think if someone who is more familiar with both the da vinci repetier firmware and S3D were on here they could figure this out...

As for their website I believe they are are talking about the models, but since they support repetier firmware on other brands I would think that we can get this setup...
I would also like to know how to get full use of simplify3d with da Vinci.
Er Mah Gerd!!! They did it! Today they launched a new version of Simplify3D with direct support for the flashed DaVinci 1.0 and 2.0's!!!!!
Er mah gerd indeed thanks for info!
Quote:Er Mah Gerd!!! They did it! Today they launched a new version of Simplify3D with direct support for the flashed DaVinci 1.0 and 2.0's!!!!!

I am thinking about getting Simplify3D. I am just trying to understand. Do you need to be running custom FW and not 1.1.J?
Quote:
Quote:Er Mah Gerd!!! They did it! Today they launched a new version of Simplify3D with direct support for the flashed DaVinci 1.0 and 2.0's!!!!!

I am thinking about getting Simplify3D. I am just trying to understand. Do you need to be running custom FW and not 1.1.J?

I looked at this as well. From how the support page reads, you can take an out of the box Da Vinci, so long as it doesn't have 1.2.3 FW and control everything via USB. Can someone here confirm? I'm on 1.0G and would love to run this, but don't want to plunk down $140 if it doesn't work.
Look here:
http://www.simplify3d.com/support/hardwa...vinci-1-0/

has firmware requirements for Machine Control Panel Control, I have the latest firmware for my 1.0, can't jog the printer manually using the Machine Control Panel with the latest firmware, but I can send it print jobs!
Quote:Look here:
http://www.simplify3d.com/support/hardwa...vinci-1-0/

has firmware requirements for Machine Control Panel Control, I have the latest firmware for my 1.0, can't jog the printer manually using the Machine Control Panel with the latest firmware, but I can send it print jobs!

oops forgot to say im running 1.2.3 firmware
I believe it must be on something prior to 1.2.3 in order to have full functionality (as per support page). Can anyone else confirm?
I was told by Simplify3D when I had it that you would have to be on Reptier, but I could be wrong.
Here's some of the answers you are seeking, directly from Hai@Simplify3D:

I will be happy to help answer your question regarding Simplify3D Software support for the XYZprinting Da Vinci 3D Printer.

With the latest firmware, you can take advantage of all of our slicing options and benefits. Tons of customizable options, easy to remove support structures, multiple settings for objects, etc. You can also use Simplify3D Software to send files you slice directly to the Da Vinci 3D Printer.

In terms of full support, with the newer firmwares, we do not support manual jogging via the Machine Control Panel, however, with the older firmwares you are able to jog the printer. With the newer printers such as the AIO, however, there may not be a firmware version compatible with jogging, but we know there is older firmware for full control on the Da Vinci 1.0 and 2.0. I believe any firmware prior to 1.2.3 allows for manual jogging on the 1.0 and anything 2.0 or older works for the 2.0

We do not have a trial version of the software, the only available version is the full retail copy we provide to all of our customers.

In terms of future full support for the newer firmwares [i.e. 1.01+], we are constantly working hard to incorporate support for new printers and new firmwares, you should see how long our to-do list is! With such a long list, we have to prioritize how we proceed, so you may or may not see future support for the newer firmwares, it all depends on its priority and how successful we are with it. I think that's a long way of saying, we're looking into it.

Hope that helps answer your questions!
I just emailed him about repetier firmware. I don't really want to go back to XYZ since I have an E3D hotend now.
I bought Simplify3d a few days ago. I am running FW version 1.1.G and Simplify3d does NOT connect to the printer correctly.

I have a support request in, but so far all I've gotten is the generic "have you tried this". My initial email answered all of those questions. I still waiting for a response to my reply. I'm holding out hope, because the slicer in Simplify3d is much faster than the XZPrinter software.

BTW - When I attempt to connect with Simplify3d I get this:

Attempting connection at \\.\COM3...
Testing plaintext communication protocol...
Testing binary communication protocol...
Testing alternate communication protocols...
RECEIVED: XYZ_@3DConfusedtart
RECEIVED: MDU:daVinciF10
RECEIVED: FW_V:1.1.G
RECEIVED: MCH_ID:3DP01PGBXTH44XXXX
Attempting RTS reset and trying again...
Connection failed.'
Quote:I just emailed him about repetier firmware. I don't really want to go back to XYZ since I have an E3D hotend now.

Hear anything? Seems like it world require Repetier.
Any progress on this? Considering purchasing Simplfy3d but wanted to see someone have success with this before spending the $.
Quote:Any progress on this? Considering purchasing Simplfy3d but wanted to see someone have success with this before spending the $.

I am interested as well, as slic3r doesn't quite cut it for me, plus it would be awesome not to have to add headers and base64 encode.