Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Repetier on DaVinci Duo 2.0 flashing procedure
I'm at abit of am im pass right now. Here's my story:

I've just bought my Duo, and run through the first 2 cartridges, and successfully reset each cartridge for 260m (or whatever the number is). I've run through a few hundred meters on both when the other day XYZ software complained that is an invalid cartridge. I was under the understanding that 2.0.0J firmware shouldnt exhibit this behaviour, especially after I disabled connections through my firewall to the Windows desktop client.
Oh well, I planned on 'upgrading' it anyways - just not so soon.
It seems an intermediary step might be to install the hacked XYZ Windows software just to get my feet wet, and (hopefully) allow the printer to continue printing using my reprogrammed cartridges. However, I have read the hacked XYZ doesn't yet fully support the Duo. So that's out.
I won't buy more cartridges - so that option is out.
The only venue left as I see it is to jump into Repetier, who a few at least have working decently on the Duo.

My problem is such:

Shorting jumper 'J4' is referenced in numerous 1.0 how tos. J4 isnt found on the Duo motherboard. So, I soldered headers to both unpopulated jumper locations, and deduced after more research that It's in fact jumper J1 on the Duo.
I tried to short it, apply power, wait a few seconds, remove power, remove jumper, reapply power, then connect USB. The printer does not get erased, and still shows up in the device manager still as the DaVinci Duo.

I am wondering how those that flashed the Duo 2.0 did so?
Also, do I have any other options but to flash Repetier for a solidly running 2.0 with no requirement to use the cartridges?

Thanks
on duo flashing method is same as 1.0 except the soldered headers to is unpopulated as you mentioned
so or your connection is not correct or you use a wrong JP
do you have a picture of the connector location you use ?

My duo is like this one :[img]
Yes, mine is like this too. From the picture I attached you can see the jumpers I installed where the header exists within the red and blue circles.
I tried using JP1 (red circle). Finally in desperation I tried JP2 (blue circle). Both do not erase the flash.
It shows up as" XYZPrinting, 3D Printer Da Vinci F Duo (Com x)"

[img]
yes red one is the correct one - I suggest to try again - I got some faillure too sometimes because contact was not good,
usually I do :
contact when power on,
then remove contact
then contact again
then switch off still with contact,
then power on still with contact ,
then restart you should have black lines - it works for me
Thanks, I'll try your method. I've tried mine >10 times already. I'll also confirm the traces weren't damaged during my solder.

I was able to get the printer working again in the meantime. I noticed that the firewall wasnt properly configured. I reconfigured it, and now I don't get anymore complaints about my reset cartridge.
I'll try the reflash tomorrow after I'm done my current print jobs.

Is there a tested and true configuration file for the Duo? Is there anything else I need to have a smooth first experience when printing using repetier?
ho you soldered a 2 pins connector- I did not, I just use the 2 pins on a jumper and that is enough to do the bridge between the unpopulated contacts by pressure
configuration file depends of what fw you use and what settings have in it actually
Ahhh, I thought it was going to be an answer like that.
Can you make a recommendation?
I just want to start off with at least a fairly stable setup without the heads smashing into things they shouldnt as I've read can happen.
I may say, review the start and and end code of your slicer as they are not always good for 2 extruders (i have tested slic3er and cura) the starting extruder is the current used one - so it is better to set what extruder(s) you want to use - on my side I prefer cura
Also you may need to calibrate the exact position of the second extruder as I can see not every one as same values some steps difference
I have used http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:12069 but mostly the first one
I'm preparing to change my firmware over to the modified Repetier-Firmware-0.92 for the Davinci Duo. I've determined that I have a dual fan 2.0 and that I need to short jumper JP1. I've run across a bit of a problem - the videos I've seen show this board with either headers soldered on or at least softer contact pads. If you take a look at the attached image, you'll see that on mine the left contact pad is empty. Is this normal? Does this mean I'm not able to flash my firmware?[Image: IMG_0005.jpg]
I recently did the upgrade (firmware and host) on a 1.0 and am quite happy with it. It took a long Saturday, but I have print accuracy down to very small fraction of a mm, and fairly smooth edges that only need minimal sanding, at 0.1mm layers. I just made a very small test print, and printed it many times changing only one variable at a time. And used calipers to measure whats printed.

A few notes :
"External Layers First" really helps with dimension accuracy.
Perimeter at 1/2 nozzle size makes smoother edges. (currently it is nozzle size, hrm)
"Retraction" makes smoother tops, "Wipe" seems to be worse.
"Z offset" tuned after leveling, to make a 1mm thick print actually be 1.00mm thick. This solved the "wider" first layer problem too. It's probably different for each head, mine is 0.25mm.
Has anyone tried using the XYZ printing flash utility with the Repetier firmware instead of shorting the jumper as outlined in this following thread?

https://forum.voltivo.com/showthread.php?tid=7966

Basically it states that if you renamed the repetier firmware the default XYX Printing firmware file you can flash your printer.

I'm thinking of switching from the default J Firmware to Repetier firmware via this method. Let me know if any of you try this and it works.

Cheers