Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A few questions
I spent a few hours on the forum as a guest, and thought I should create an account to say hi.
I just got my Da Vinci 1.0 from newegg. They had a deal where you basically buy the printer and get 2 extra filaments for free. So if you are looking for another printer (or your first), take a look there I think the shipping was about $15 more, but small price to pay for 3 extra filament cartridges. I don't know if it matters, but it was the Canadian newegg site.
So, I am really new to this whole 3D priting thing. I have researched a lot into many aspects of 3D printers, but not so much the different software (Untill I orderd the printer) then I discovered meshlabs and meshmixer. As far as software to actually print to the printer, I have only experienced XYZware.
Now, obviously I want to save money on filament (Who doesn't) so I need to do something about it. I consider myself a computer expert (I hope so, repairing them is what I do got a living) but have no knowledge of programming or electronics. I have moderate experience with firmware upgrading and stuff, and upgrading to custom/reverting to stock doesn't seem too hard, and is something I am confident in doing. So, now that you know a bit about me, hopefully you can make some suggestions.
First, I have heard if you downgrade to 1.1E, you are no longer required to use the filament cartridge, or something. Is this the case, and if so, what (if any) are the downfalls?
Secondly, this Repetier firmware that is out there. Will it allow me to use other filaments (I can't find this information anywhere) and although it would make sense to me it would, I want to make 100% sure.
Third, are there any downsides to the Repetier firmware? And if I switch to it, can I still use XYZware to print? Can you suggest other programs? Are the bugs worked out, and is the community generally satisfied that the firmware is good, stable, and won't cause issues, or is it still essentially in the development stage where some people are still experiencing some problems?
Forth, what benefits are there to it? I know someone asked, and he was told to search, but gods honest I have been on this form for at least an hour (probably closer to 2) just reading. This is where I read that 1.1E allows you to use non-cartridge filament, and where I found out the name of, and the videos to walk through the install of Repetier. So I would really like to know what, other then using other software, and the ability to bypass the cartridge chip (I assume) are the other benefits, if there are any. Will it allow me to set my own extruder temperature so I can use PLA and other plastics for example? Set the heated bed to 100 degrees so I can boil water (kidding).
Finally, I expect I will be using ABS for my printing (unless perhaps one day I find benefits to PLA. So far I have only seen downsides) however still intend (if I get a re-setter) getting one that allows full custom programming of the chip VIA USB. So for this question, I would like to hear suggestions. Upgrade the firmware, or get a resetter?

Thanks in advance to those that took the time to read, and a lot of thanks in advance to those that take the time to answer the questions directly. I look forward to hearing from you.
Edit: To add another question I forgot about
Shadow Wizard. Im using XYZ abs set at 1st layer bed-90, extruder 205, then 2nd layer bed 70.
Getting the bed plate level is important.
Read my noob story.

This forum and others helped in my Davinci decision making purchase . The printer arrived w/ no damage and printed the sample vase very well. There is a vibration noise running X- to X+. The belt is tight as can get, but the belt lower loop vibrates. Also now same type vibration running Y+ to Y-. It doesnt affect prints. Only annoying.
Im on the 2nd cart-blue. Blue seems to print better. After that, Ill buy a roll of ExcelFil ABS. I have a WCTEK resetter.
Using 1.1.G FW, XYZWare host modded, Slicr3, and Solidworks. After trial and error I concluded using the right software and control helps for better prints.
I dont expect this to be a precision machine. You can buy 6 Davincis for the price of an Ultimaker2.
First models were done in Tinkercad.
Just starting to learn SW. Have made 2 ASMBLs. Same prints came out better from SW than Tinkercad. ah-ha moment.
Round objects had facetted sides. SW has a control for triangles. Played w/ the deviation and angle. The more triangles the smoother the surface. another ah-ha moment.
Then on to Slcr3. In the beginning Slcr3 made the prints worse. Until I found a video explaining the settings and whats best. Mostly it was the speed. ah-ha.
Yesterday changed the Z offset to .97. Better, getting close. ah-ha.
Circles and holes are offset by 0.5mm. Like 2 semi circles were joined together offset. This one I cant figure out.
The modded XYZWare seems to take forever to load on my PC. Using a 8ft USB2 cable. ?

Id like to thank those who offered their talent, experience and time helping us less fortunate, who have neither.

Heres my next challenge- Convert to PLA

[Image: plafan01.jpg]
Well thank you so much for the information, but I read through it twice.. and it doesn't answer even one of my questions; so I am assuming I am reading it wrong. Can you please clarify what questions it answers, and where, because I honestly cannot figure it out.

Quote:Shadow Wizard. Im using XYZ abs set at 1st layer bed-90, extruder 205, then 2nd layer bed 70.
Getting the bed plate level is important.
Read my noob story.

This forum and others helped in my Davinci decision making purchase . The printer arrived w/ no damage and printed the sample vase very well. There is a vibration noise running X- to X+. The belt is tight as can get, but the belt lower loop vibrates. Also now same type vibration running Y+ to Y-. It doesnt affect prints. Only annoying.
Im on the 2nd cart-blue. Blue seems to print better. After that, Ill buy a roll of ExcelFil ABS. I have a WCTEK resetter.
Using 1.1.G FW, XYZWare host modded, Slicr3, and Solidworks. After trial and error I concluded using the right software and control helps for better prints.
I dont expect this to be a precision machine. You can buy 6 Davincis for the price of an Ultimaker2.
First models were done in Tinkercad.
Just starting to learn SW. Have made 2 ASMBLs. Same prints came out better from SW than Tinkercad. ah-ha moment.
Round objects had facetted sides. SW has a control for triangles. Played w/ the deviation and angle. The more triangles the smoother the surface. another ah-ha moment.
Then on to Slcr3. In the beginning Slcr3 made the prints worse. Until I found a video explaining the settings and whats best. Mostly it was the speed. ah-ha.
Yesterday changed the Z offset to .97. Better, getting close. ah-ha.
Circles and holes are offset by 0.5mm. Like 2 semi circles were joined together offset. This one I cant figure out.
The modded XYZWare seems to take forever to load on my PC. Using a 8ft USB2 cable. ?

Id like to thank those who offered their talent, experience and time helping us less fortunate, who have neither.

Heres my next challenge- Convert to PLA