Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cooling fans for extruded plastic and the tool head
This thread will document my progress on setting up a cooling fan for the extruded plastic. I have a Da Vinci 2.0 with two cooling fans on the tool head. Each fan is independently controlled by the mother board. I have already tweaked the Repetier Firmware so I can control the second fan from within Repetier host. Right now I am modeling a new part. A shroud for the fan that will take the air from this second fan and blow it onto the extruded plastic.

In this thread I plan to attempt to help other people do the same kind of thing with other versions of the Da Vinci 3D printer.
As I mentioned before I have two fans on the back of my tool head. But I know that there are some Da Vinci 2.0 printers with only 1 fan on the back. I am convinced that the electrical wiring is already in place to connect a second fan on these models. In this thread I plan to help those people do exactly that.

The Da Vinci 1.0 only has a single fan on the back of the tool head. It is also only wired for a single fan. In this thread I plan to help other people get a second fan working one of two ways. #1. We could take a look at the mother board and see if we can find where the wires should go in order to wire up a second fan for our use. #2 Or we could repurpose the wiring for the one fan it has. In this case I will suggest that we work out ways to provide power to the original fan so the tool head will continue to be actively cooled. The trade off will be that the fan will always spin. Not a bad trade off if you can get a new second fan working that is controlled by the repetier-host.

In the next few days I will be continuing my efforts to get my new fan shroud to work.
If any of you are willing to work with me to get a second fan working on your printers then please reply to this thread. You will most likely end up needing to do some or all of the following:
Compile and install new versions of the Repetier firmware.
A little light rewiring.
Possibly some soldering.
Maybe some 3D modeling. (probably not)

The first thing I would need from any of you that are interested is a full description of what Version of printer you have and some pictures of your printer. Specifically a picture of your tool head where your fan(s) plug in. I want to be able to see if you are already wired up for the second extruder.
Here are the instructions for the Da Vinci 1.0. Please reply to the TOPIC if you have any suggestions/corrections pictures or video tutorials that would be helpful and I will add them to these instructions.

Thank You

The Da Vinci 1.0 only has the circuitry to support a single fan that can be controlled by the motherboard. Therefore the only way to have the Da Vinci 1.0 cool your extrusions in a controlled manner is to repurpose the circuitry for that one fan. These are the instructions to repurpose those circuit connectors for your new cooling fan. You will still need a fan to cool the tool head.
1. Collect all the materials you will need.
a. A 50 mm DC electric fan
b. A new cooling fan shroud to attach to your printer tool head. I recommend this thing.
c. A 5 volt power supply. (An old cell phone charger should work.)
d. Wire cutters.
e. Wire connectors.
f. Repetier Firmware for the Da Vinci 1.0 and the ability to install it.

2. First thing is first let’s make sure you can control the fan from within the software. If you can’t get this very important part to work then there is no point in even attempting anything else.
a. Get a copy of the Repetier Firmware for your printer. This is discussed in several other threads on this forum. I suggest here where they belong.
[strike]b. When you are ready and able to compile and upload the firmware to your printer then you are ready to make the following three changes to the code in the Configuration.h.
i. #define FEATURE_FAN_CONTROL 0 \\Change this line from 0 to 1
#define FEATURE_FAN_CONTROL 1 \\Like this
and
#define FAN_PIN -1 \\Change this line from -1 to ORIG_FAN_PIN
#define FAN_PIN ORIG_FAN_PIN \\Like this
and
#define EXT0_EXTRUDER_COOLER_PIN ORIG_FAN_PIN \\Change ORIG_FAN_PIN to -1
#define EXT0_EXTRUDER_COOLER_PIN -1 \\Like this
[/strike]
That was all the old way. This is the current code change you will need to make.
you must not change anything in code you just show -change must be done in top of file

// ################## EDIT THESE SETTINGS MANUALLY ################

#define DAVINCI 2 // "1" For DAVINCI 1.0, "2" For DAVINCI 2.0 with 1 FAN, "3" For DAVINCI 2.0 with 2 FAN
#define MODEL 0//"0" for first generation (jumper JP1 to reset ) , "1" for new generation (jumper J37 to reset)
#define REPURPOSE_FAN_TO_COOL_EXTRUSIONS 0 //Setting this to 1 will repurpose the main Extruder cooling fan to be controlled VIA M106/M107
//Warning: for DaVinci 1.0 need to add a permanent fan with power supply to cool extruder

// ################ END MANUAL SETTINGS ##########################

set
#define REPURPOSE_FAN_TO_COOL_EXTRUSIONS 1 to get M106/M107 working, do not go deeper in configuration file

Thanks to LUC for pointing this out.

c. Compile and upload to the printer.
d. Connect to the printer in Repetier Host. Under Manual Control tab click on the little Fan Icon to turn the fan on. If your fan starts to spin then you did it right and you can move on to the next steps.
e. PLEASE NOTE!!!!!! Right now if you attempt to print anything your cooling fan will not automatically turn on so your extruder could overheat the filament in the threaded throat and jam up. SO DO NOT PRINT ANYTHING.

3. Provide alternate power to your existing cooling fan.
a. Locate the cooling fan on the back of your printer tool head.
b. Locate the wires to that fan and cut them in the middle. Yes I said cut the wires.
c. Wire up your fan to the alternative power supply. (old cell phone charger.) Your fan should now spin when you have it plugged in.

4. Connect your new 50 mm fan.
a. Connect the new fan to the wires that used to power the original fan.
b. Connect the new fan shroud to your tool head (snap it into place)
c. Place the new fan into the fan shroud so that it will push air into the shroud rather than pull air through.

That’s it you are all done. You now have a cooling that that is controlled by gcode.
Here are the instructions for the Da Vinci 2.0. Please reply to the TOPIC if you have any suggestions/corrections pictures or video tutorials that would be helpful and I will add them to these instructions.

Thank You

The Da Vinci 2.0 has the circuitry to support two fans that can be controlled by the motherboard. Therefore we can repurpose the circuitry for one fan and still cool the tool head. These are the instructions to repurpose one fan.

1. Collect all the materials you will need.
a. A new cooling fan shroud to attach to your printer tool head. I recommend this thing.
b. Repetier Firmware for the Da Vinci 2.0 and the ability to install it.

2. First thing is first let’s make sure you can control the fan from within the software. If you can’t get this very important part to work then there is no point in even attempting anything else.
a. Get a copy of the Repetier Firmware for your printer. This is discussed in several other threads on this forum. I suggest LUC branch. He has done some amazing things for the Da Vinci 2.0. Make sure you have his version of the variant.cpp in place or the firmware will not work.
b. When you are ready and able to compile and upload the firmware to your printer then you are ready to make the following three changes to the code in the Configuration.h.
i. #define REPURPOSE_FAN_TO_COOL_EXTRUSIONS 0 \\Change this line from 0 to 1
#define REPURPOSE_FAN_TO_COOL_EXTRUSIONS 1 \\Like this
c. Compile and upload to the printer.
d. Connect to the printer in Repetier Host. Under Manual Control tab click on the little Fan Icon to turn the fan on. If your fan starts to spin then you did it right and you can move on to the next steps.

3. Print out the Cooling fan shroud that I mentioned above. ABS works best. This one was designed to use a 50 MM fan but a 40 will work as well.

That’s it you are all done. You now have a cooling that that is controlled by gcode.
Hi
I look forward, I expect the pictures because I want to add a fan to the PLA but I do not know which component added on the motherboard.
I have added a fan to the PLA, but it is connected to external power.
The only problem is that it only works on Repetier and not on the original firmware.
Otherwise I would like to see pictures of the new generation 2.0, if you can take photos Smile
I will post several pictures on Monday.
Thank you
Wow this thread is really convenient to me! Smile Today I just installed a second fan to cool down the extruded filament on my Da Vinci 1.0. I had an old 50mm fan lying around that came long ago with my PC's motherboard, so I thought why not repurpose it. Unfortunately I have no clue about CAD so I went ahead and printed this mount (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:447903) which is for a similar sized fan, although mine is round rather than square, so I had to do some tinkering. Basically I removed the tray part and left only the clip-on and the duct. Then attached the original fan's mount with glue and used hot silicone to fill the holes (it's ugly but it works). The fan is powered by an external 12v DC adapter, and truth be told it doesn't really seem to be pushing much air, but it does already make a difference in some prints. I can now print correctly small sided cubes, and do a lot of bridging that was simply impossible before. The design of the duct could be improved a lot to fit this particular fan and have a greater airflow, but I'll leave that to when I have time to learn some CAD Smile

Here are some pics:

the original print
[img]

In action
[img]
On my Davinci 2.0 I have 2 extruders and 1 fan only
The connector on main board for Fan2 is present but looks like full motor extruder is on it or label is wrong

[img] [img]
How long have you had your 2.0? I got mine like 3 weeks ago and it has 2 fans. 1 for each extruder. I think they might have changed the design which is a good thing. I have also noticed several other things that I think they may have changed compared to stuff I have read on the 1.0's.
I got it mine in May, should be one of the first I guess
Thank you for the pictures and the descriptions. My printer is on my desk at work and I will not be able to take pictures of it until Tuesday. However I wanted to type up some more details about the 2 methods that I think we can get your Da Vinci 2.0 SF (Single Fan) and the Da Vinci 1.0 rigged up with controlled cooling fans.
There are two ways we can do this. I think this first way I will suggest is going to be the best solution. However it may be a little more difficult to do.

It was later proved that this first method will not work

Step #1. We need to identify the exact two pins on the mother board that we need to use to connect the new cooling fan. The picture of the motherboard that LUC provided is what we need to look at. I will take a picture of my Da Vinci 2.0 DF (Dual Fan) mother board. This picture will be a close up of the exact pins that my second fan are connected to.

Step #2. We need to figure out how to connect some new wires to those pins. Run those wires through the printer and connect them to a new fan. Preferably with some kind of a quick release connector.

Step #3. We need the correct version of the Repetier Firmware that will control this new cooling fan. I already have a working model of this. LUC has my code that I used to get that to work. He has a repository where he is sharing this code. I will let LUC provide the link because I am not sure if he thinks everything is ready to be shared out yet. I know that he is working on adding some new features and bug fixes for the Da Vinci 2.0. I think it is ready for the Da Vinci 1.0 but like I said I will let him explain what is ready and what is not. We will eventually need to write up step by step instructions on how to configure the firmware for the cooling fans. We don’t need to provide step by step instructions on how to install the firmware because that has been done many times in many threads on this forum.

Step #4. We need to determine the best options for attaching the cooling fan and shroud. For the Da Vinci 1.0 I agree that this item on thingiverse.com is the best option. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:447903 For the Da Vinci 2.0 DF I am modeling a different type of shroud that attaches to the back of the tool head. I have printed 2 versions and I think I will make a few more changes for a third and possibly final version. When I am done I will upload it to Thingiverse.com and provide the link in this thread. The Da Vinci 2.0 SF will be a little more difficult. Looking at the picture LUC provided I think I can modify my new custom shroud to allow us to connect a second fan. However to be honest it might be easier to modify the one that works for the Da Vinci 1.0. Either way it will be a little bit of work but I think I can do it. I am still a novice at 3d modeling but I think I can figure it out.

This second method will work

These are the steps for the second direction we could go. This way is not as preferable but it would be easier in my opinion. Essentially what we will do is we will repurpose the wiring for the original fan and use that to cool the plastic.

Step #1. We need to find a way to provide new power to the cooling fan that is used to cool the Tool head right now. Some of you have already done this so it should be easy. All we need is a [strike]12[/strike] 5 volt DC power source. This will make it so this fan is no longer controlled by the printer but the trade-off would be worth it.

Step #2. Wire up a new fan to where the old fan used to connect. This should be done using a quick release connector. You could reuse the original one but that means you would need to cut wires.

Step #3. We need the correct version of the Repetier Firmware. If you already have loaded a version of the Firmware then I will help you make the changes to the code that will allow you to control the fan in Repetier host. [Oscahie] You mentioned that you cannot control the fan in the Repetier Host software right now. That is no surprise. Tuesday I will work on instructions on how to modify the firmware to make that work.

Step #4. Same thing as other method. We just need to come up with fan shrouds for the different printer models.
Hi
For the second fan, it should connect as the first fan, that is directly on the connector on the extruder 2 (if present). It seems to me that every son of FAN1 and FAN2 are wired (for they also return the information temperatures)
I noticed something and I do not know at all what's the point: On Da Vinci 1.0, There are the little plug with green wire. They go to the engine Z. A door sensor before they decided not to place?[Image: davinci1_0.jpg][Image: davinci2_0.jpg]
Thank you for the picture of the Dav1 main board. I think the green wires are input connections. Possibly intended for the door sensor like you suggested. We wouldn't get anything more that 3.3 volts out of those. We will need [strike]12 volts [/strike]to push the fan. (Correction we need 5 volts.)

I see the empty space where the second set of fan, temperature sensor, filament jam sensor would connect. When I get back into the office (and back to my printer) I will map out exactly which pins my fans connect to. After that a brave soul can attempt to solder some wires into there to make sure we can spin a fan.
Hi here some pictures and finding on my dual extruders board
Fan is 5V - I did not mesured just read on fan - check picture 2
I do have unsoldered but wired location for Fan2
the Fans wires seems the blue ones on each extruder connectors on main board - I just did continuity check of signal to validate it - I will solder a connector and connect a fan later to play with the pins you found Aaryn

[img] Fan is 5V, but my second connector not soldered seems wired
[img]
[img]
Wonderful!!! Thank you LUC. The green and blue wires are what we need then. For the people with a Da Vinci 1 they can try to solder wires onto the mother board where the green and blue wires would normally go.
Fans are 5 volts. Yes you are correct. My memory sometimes.... I will edit my previous post with the correction.
As promised. Pictures to show my progress on the new fan shroud for the Da Vinci 2.0 DF (Dual Fan)
Here is a link to my picture repository. https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=F7...lder%2cjpg

I have included pictures of my setup before I did anything.
Pictures of Version 1 and Version 2 of my new fan shroud.
I will have to make several changes to the Shroud. I just discovered that I measured wrong and I will pinch the shroud between the tool head and the back of the printer. More to come soon.
EDIT: It was later proved that this method will not work. Please see the next post for a solution that does work.

Ok, For those of you with a Da Vinci 1.0

You can try the following if you are brave enough. I take no responsibility if you break something. Will someone please attempt to do this and let the rest of us know the results.

Look at the pictures attached to this post. I also have better copies here in my picture repo. The picture of the Dav1 board is not that great. Can someone post a better copy with a close up of the pins?
onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=F768B966A5...&ithint=folder%2cjpg

In these pictures you should see the empty pins that you can solder wires to for the second fan.
There are 6 empty pin slots. You want to connect to pin #4 and #5 if you start counting from the left.

Now for a way to get the firmware to work for you. I am going to walk you through how to change the code yourself to get it to work. When I write up the final instructions all of these code changes will be done and easy to download.

If you have a working copy of the Repetier firmware that you already know how to compile and upload to your printer then make the following changes.

In userpins.h
#define ORIG_FAN_PIN 25 \\This line should already be in there
#define ORIG_FAN2_PIN 4 \\Add this line

In Configuration.h
#define FEATURE_FAN_CONTROL 0 \\Change this line from 0 to 1
and
#define FAN_PIN -1 \\Change this line from -1 to ORIG_FAN2_PIN
#define FAN_PIN ORIG_FAN2_PIN \\Like this

Compile and upload the firmware. That should make it so you can control this new fan from within Repetier Host. Please let me know if this works so we can better develop the instructions and steps. Probably a good idea to take some pictures as well.

Thank You in advance.[Image: Motherboarddavinci1_0withpinshighlighted.jpg][Image: MotherboardDavinci2withfanpinshighlighted.jpg]
For those of you with a Da Vinci 1.0 who want to take the second approach.

It is up to you to supply power to the fan that cools your extruder. Here are the instructions for modifying the firmware to highjack the current fan pins and repurpose them to control your extrusion cooler fan.

These instructions assume you already have a working copy of the Repetier firmware and that you know how to compile and upload to your printer.

In Configuration.h
#define FEATURE_FAN_CONTROL 0 \\Change this line from 0 to 1
and
#define FAN_PIN -1 \\Change this line from -1 to ORIG_FAN_PIN
#define FAN_PIN ORIG_FAN_PIN \\Like this

EDIT: I forgot that you need to disable the firmware from using this fan for the extruder as well. Otherwise the fan will spin when the extruder gets hot.
#define EXT0_EXTRUDER_COOLER_PIN ORIG_FAN_PIN \\Change ORIG_FAN_PIN to -1
[b]#define EXT0_EXTRUDER_COOLER_PIN -1 \\Like this

Compile and upload the firmware. These changes will make it so you can control the fan from within Repetier Host. You still need to make sure you have a fan that cools your extruder. Please let me know if this works so we can better develop the instructions and steps.
Hi
To add a fan to the Da Vinci 1.0, it is not enough to just weld the two wire, there are also some transistor and resistance welding: /
DOH! I was afraid of that. :pinch:
Are you sure?
Ok. Thank you for trying.

If that is the case then the only way I know we can get a fan to be controlled via the Firmware would be the second method I have discussed. Provide external power to the existing fan then use the wiring from the existing fan to power a new Extrusion cooling fan. The firmware changes I posted earlier today should work for that. Wait... I just thought of a bug that would be caused by what I suggested. I will edit my Previous post.

If anyone is interested. I have finished V3 of my custom Fan Shroud for the Da Vinci 2.0 DF. New pictures are in my Pictures Repo.
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=F7...lder%2cjpg
I had to physically switch my two fans so that my shroud would attach on the right side (facing the printer). The firmware did not change. I want to fix a few more things before I post the STL to thingiverse. Two problems I see right now. It can crash into nozzle cleaner on the right. The vent holes are too small now and not perfectly aimed.
I think I have finished my work on the Da Vinci 2.0 cooling fan shroud. I posted it here on Thingiverse.com.
It works best when it is created using ABS plastic. Soon I will go back and update the Place holder posts near the top of this thread and write up all of my instructions.

LUC. I will also try to modify the one that snaps onto the Da Vinci 1.0 so that you can use it on the Da Vinci 2.0.