Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what does custom firmware do for me?
So please excuse my ignorance folks, I've been browsing the topic but what does installing the custom firmware allow you to exactly do with the printer, control extruder and bed temp? Print with PLA? Bypass the proprietary cartridges and use your own? Also, how do you actually control these settings? Thanks!
Yes all of these and use any slicers and hosts - so no more limitations that current FW has
Hi Jacob. I moved your post because it is a generalized question and really had nothing to do with development of custom firmware.

Please use the search function. Most, if not all, of your questions have been answered.

If you have any other questions please let us know.

Regards,
Kieth
Quote:Hi Jacob. I moved your post because it is a generalized question and really had nothing to do with development of custom firmware.

Please use the search function. Most, if not all, of your questions have been answered.

If you have any other questions please let us know.

Regards,
Kieth

Sorry Kieth, I appreciate you letting me keep the topic open!

So with the firmware flash, you output the code and temp settings with the Slicer of your choice and then import them into XYZWare still and it'll actually use the settings instead of that header information being essentially worthless?
One you flash Repetier to your printer you no longer use XYZWare at all, but Repetier Host, Pronterface or similar compatible host software. You may use whatever slic3r is supported in that software and basically change anything. Beware though that the Repetier firmware for the Da Vinci is still being developed and tweaked, so you should expect to come across some quirks and issues, and things not working like in the official firmware, but mostly you'll be able to print just fine.