Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
12V Power Failure ( 0030 Error , Light & motor not working )
I have two Da Vinci have same problems with losing 12V power issue. The symptom are LED light is not on & stepper motor not working but everything else works fine.
LCD & ARM controller all functions. If you have original firmware it will show 0030 error after boot.
If you check the control board you will see the R3 0 ohm resistor burn out. Usually that happen when the hotend cable is broken (cut by sharp edge of the carriage) create a short. So make sure you also check those cables.
Here is the photo for the burn out R3 resistor

The fix is easy just need to solder a wire and bypass the resistor. [Edit] (with pcb_man's suggestion ) Should replace with 1206 size fuse for safety!
[Image: R3_fail.jpg][Image: R3_fix.jpg]
I think I would be putting a surface mount fuse in there. Looks like they intended for that resistor to be a low cost fuse. Pretty cheesy!
If you find a good 1206 fuse or similar type with right current rating please let us know. I am trying to figure out the current rating of that 12V line.
I think these 10A 1206 Fast reacting fuse should be a good fit.
10A
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en...ND/2037170
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en...ND/1963366
12A
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en...ND/2037171
Anyone has the power supply spec. for the Da Vinci? Current rating for each voltage.
12V (1) ,12V (2) ,5V ,3.3 V
If anyone knows I can start to look for correct fuse for the Da Vinci board.
The resistor is used as a fuse. Nothing cheesy at all - its a standard engineering practice. I would strongly suggest for the long term to order the resistor and replace it. Reason being if you experience another short you might burn traces or vias on the board which will be much more difficult to fix. Another alternative would be a polyfuse, but really, the 3 cent resistor is reliable.

BTW, while the 10 amp fuse might protect against a short circuit, I doubt those traces are rate to carry 10 amps. So, if some odd failure occurs that draws 10 amps exactly you might still end up with a damaged PCB. The fuse is there to protect the PCB not the power supply. (Most switch mode supplies have built in protection.)

Kieth
Just a update for the fix. Just got the parts and installed. 10A fuse works great.
10A current limits is base on Reprap's PCB fuse current limits design. 5A for Stepper motor driver, 5A for hot-end.
If anyone want the fuse type like RAMBO board's fuse with fuse folder use 0154010.DR, you may need to modify the PCB a little bit to solder the holder
Surface Mount Fuses Nano 1206 size High i2t 10A Fast Blow P/N: 0458010.DR

Another option: P/N: 0154010.DR
[img]
Hi
You must have one of the first version because the resistance on my motherboard are not placed at yours. Besides, I do not have here, they were replaced by diodes between + VCC and GND
I think I must have the early version PCB board, my another friend have same PCB I have. But have place can put fuse is not a bad thing though Smile .
[quote]Just a update for the fix. Just got the parts and installed. 10A fuse works great.
10A current limits is base on Reprap's PCB fuse current limits design. 5A for Stepper motor driver, 5A for hot-end.
If anyone want the fuse type like RAMBO board's fuse with fuse folder use 0154010.DR, you may need to modify the PCB a little bit to solder the holder
Surface Mount Fuses Nano 1206 size High i2t 10A Fast Blow P/N: 0458010.DR

Another option: P/N: 0154010.DR
[img]
i think i have the same problem you did.

Were you able to find the resistor ? i have a 1.0 first gen
If you have the same pcb( R3.1 )I have, it should located at the left side of the board, near the 4pin power connector. Check the photo at the first few post. You should be able to find it.
yeah i have the exact same one.
i guess what i'm asking is did this work for you ?
replacing the resistor with the 10 fuse or were you able find the 000 resistor ?

i have the same problem and i'm trying to get my printer up and running again.

thank you.
replacing the resistor with a fuse will work. However, the rate and time delay of the fuse opening will not be the same as the resistor. They exist to protect the circuit board and power supply. It is my opinion a resistor should be reinstalled.you can purchase the resistors on eBay, Amazon, digikey, and MCM electronics.

Kieth
IMHO, they used a resistor because it is at least an order of magnitude cheaper than a fuse.
On the datasheet for a typical zero-ohm 0805 size resistor, they can carry 2 amps. On a 1210 resistor, it's 2.5A. Hard to say what they will stand before they burn.
For myself, I would put an SMD fuse in there. When those resistors burn up, they typically ruin the circuit board from heat before they open. No point in letting that happen if you were lucky enough to have it open without lifting the pads.

If one of these would fit, I'd use it. SMD fuse socket
Quote:i guess what i'm asking is did this work for you ?
replacing the resistor with the 10 fuse or were you able find the 000 resistor ?
Well, I tried two things.
First I Just short them ( in the newer PCB there is no 000 ohm resistor ) It works quit well, no issues for me I use it for few weeks.
Since I am putting the printer in my office ... I decide to replace it with 10A fuse. I never have issue since.
Of course before you replace it, check your cable first...... both machine I fix all have wire issue (wire was cut)
Solve the root cause first. then you should be fine. I recommend use 1206 10A fuse to fix it.
Quote:
Quote:i guess what i'm asking is did this work for you ?
Well, I tried two things.
First I Just short them ( in the newer PCB there is no 000 ohm resistor ) It works quit well, no issues for me I use it for few weeks.
Since I am putting the printer in my office ... I decide to replace it with 10A fuse. I never have issue since.
Of course before you replace it, check your cable first...... both machine I fix all have wire issue (wire was cut)
Solve the root cause first. then you should be fine. I recommend use 1206 10A fuse to fix it.

Thanks Steven,
I really appreciate the help. I don't need change anything else on the pcb to install the 10a fuse ?
can you share link to where i can buy the correct fuse?
sorry, i can solder but i'm a noob at electronics.
Quote:[where i can buy the correct fuse?

1206 10A
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en...ND/2620103
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en...ND/1963366

Both will work, the first one will cost you $0.89 USD. The shipping will cost more :p
Make sure you buy enough of them.
btw to follow up, i used what what you recommended and everything seems to be working fine now. i haven't printed anything yet but i will test it out soon. i also had 2 busted bearing mounts which i fixed.
thank you so much for your help.
I think that I am having a similar issue. My heater and LCD won't work. I have the newer board, and i don't know which resistor I should be looking for, Can I use a multimeter to go through all of the resistors, and when I get nothing it means that it is the bad resistor? One of the LED's isn't lit on the back, I believe the LED is is D2, I have attached a picture for anyone that is curious. Any help would be greatly appreciated.