Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just ordered my Da Vinci, where do I start with Repetier?
Hey guys!

This is my first post here, so forgive me if I'm not up to date. I just ordered my Da Vinci the other day as my first 3D printer and it is yet to arrive, but I'm already starting to think of how I may like to get it set up. I heard you guys have figured out how to make it use Repetier, and I'm wondering how I get started with that once I get my printer and do a couple of the test prints to make sure everything is working ok. I have zero experience with coding, but I have built my own computer and installed mods on my videogames, so I'm thinking with some detailed instructions I'd be able to manage Smile

So where do I start? All suggestions will be appreciated Wink
suggestion 1) please go through the development forum and read it all. reading and understanding this stuff is like learning French. you might know some stuff, but not this. Took me awhile just understanding Arduino, much less figuring out the axis'.

Suggestion 2) If this is your first printer, Stick with the original software and proprietary filament until you understand enough to get yourself out of trouble when you accidentally softbrick your printer. replacing the XYZ ware file so your can read g codes is the first thing you should do (in the Desktop software related (XYZWare and others) dept.)

I would not attempt to do anything else with it until you understand what youre reading on this forum. Even with me knowing a decent amount of things pertaining to arduino, Repetier, Axis', steppers, filament, why it curls....etc, it still took me a week (coupl hours a day), a lot of reading, and more forum help before I got it running and printing on RH.

I'm not sayin.......Im just sayin.... :whistle:
Something to consider,

I had 0 3d printing experience when we got this little ball rolling. Out of the people that got this ball rolling I have the least programming and electronics experience.

I see it a little different. If your going to go swimming, jump right in and get used to the water. it's not that bad once your in.
Quote:Something to consider,

I had 0 3d printing experience when we got this little ball rolling. Out of the people that got this ball rolling I have the least programming and electronics experience.

I see it a little different. If your going to go swimming, jump right in and get used to the water. it's not that bad once your in.

Hmm, I was kind of thinking along those lines too, especially if the Repetier software is much different from the xyz software. Why bother learning the ins-and-outs if a software I'm ultimately going to need to replace once I get more advanced?

But do you guys think I'd be able to get the printer "stable" enough for regular use just by going on youtube videos and forums suggestions? I think that's the main question here.
My thing was of you're going all in as Joshj said, I would have chose a kit (I had a Rostock for my first) and learned from scratch. I was just saying that you're buying a ready made printer. Enjoy it by using what it came with before you start hacking and slashing. I work and have kids, so for me learning this stuff takes me more time than people being able to sit in front of one for 4-8hrs at a time. I'm not saying you cant learn faster, Just saying print a few things before having your printer non functional for a week trying to figure things out. I spent 1200.00 on the Rostock Max and took me close to 6 weeks before my first print. But I learned a lot. :blink:
yeah, but with my tight budget I feared that my first printer will most likely be my *only* printer for quite some time, so I wanted to make my dollars count and the Da Vinci seems to be the best hardware for the price. What I'm trying to figure out is how much a really have to understand what I'm doing before I "break-in" the firmware, or if I can just follow someone's instructions and get the same end result. With the help of Youtube and the Tom's Hardware forums I was able to buy and assemble my own computer, and I still don't know EVERYTHING about how it works in there, lol!
Well the issue with a kit as I see it will require allot more fiddling than just with the firmware. So to even make a "first print" will require HOURS of work. Then after the first print fails, the question becomes why? was it my hardware assembly or the firmware calibration, or a mixture of the two. I am very glad I got the da vanici instead of first building one from a kit. Good build volume, good hardware, excellent processor on it, and it works within 5 minutes of pulling it out of the box.

So my suggestion.

Open it and print some items from thing verse that you think are cool, as is in stock form.
update to firmware version G
use an older version of xyz ware
buy an arduino from radio shack and give the chip flashing a GO.
update machine software(firmware) with the super easy meathod through xyzware and learn the ins and outs of the slic3r.

There are quite a few slicers out there and it seems each excels at different tasks. Play around with them.

Most of all have fun and enjoy your new toy, errr um tool.