Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Extruder thermistor not being read
Hopefully someone has some insight. Currently I am getting service code 0014 ("Temperature of extruder reach to warning range limited"). Machine is reading 10 degrees Celsius. Unplugged the thermistor, checked it on a volt meter, seems to be reading properly (~95Kohms at 27oC (rough estimate of the temp)). I have had it go back to working twice, but it never makes it through the calibration step.

Looking for advice.

Relevant background: Was running 1.1A when this started and the original XYZware from pre-order back in March or April. Have been using the original filament chip reset for a few months with no issue. Updated the software to 1.1.29.4. This started at the end of the first bed leveling before my print. Then removed 1.1.29.4 and replaced it with original, still has this issue. Then updated firmware to 1.1.G. Did not solve this. Could XYZware have done this without my updating the firmware?

Thanks all,

Craig
Most likely you have a broken wire. The weak points are near the zip ties and in the top back center where the wires enter the build chamber.

Kieth
Did have a broken write, the yellow one. Fixed it but still only ever reading ten degrees in monitor mode. Measuring the resistance of the circuit hot and cold it does seem to be working by multi meter, but no change on the display or printer function. Could it need to be reset or something?
I'd be beer suspicious there is another write broken. Maybe trace the wire to the molex on the circuit board and measure the thermistor directly at the molex/pcb. While possible there is a failure on the pcb, unless the input was exposed to direct power I would be surprised if it is much more than a wire. (It could be exposed to power if multiple wires were damaged/frayed. )

Kieth
Thanks,

I was thinking about replacing the whole cable, but haven't had any luck sourcing a new one. If I do have to replace all the wires, is there a type that I should use, or avoid? Thanks for the help.

Craig
Any wire that is fine stranded and flexible should work. You might consider an old mouse cable for low current items like sensors.

Kieth
Any wire that is fine stranded and flexible should work. You might consider an old mouse cable for low current items like sensors.

Kieth

Kieth

Kieth

Kieth

Kieth

Kieth

Kieth
Replaced the wires from about an inch from each end and it works now. Suitable substitute for the wires, so far, has been a 6 wire phone cable. Hopefully the sheathing on it will keep them relatively protected.

Cheers,

Craig