Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Repetier & XYZ clarification please :unsure:
[size=CMS2CMS_LARGE]I'm somewhat confused on the different softwares and 3rd party filaments, so please help me clarify some things..:unsure:

If I stick with XYZware, I will need to use the reset chip for the stock filament. However, if I want to use different filaments that require nozzle and bed temp changes, I will need to change that by a combination of 3rd party slicing, adding stock headers and footers into the gcode with the different temps in the code. (?right?)

IF I use the Repetier hack, I won't need the filament resetter, and I can use Repetier for my changes like any open source printer does.

Is that the crux of it? I want to be able to experiment with the other filaments (t-glase, wood, ny :unsure: lon, etc....) and just have the easiest way to adjust the temps. [/size]
For all purposes your understanding is correct. You can also change the temps with the cartridge reset hack. Keep in mind the rest hack requires older 1.1.g firmware and older versions of xyzware. While repetier isn't perfect, I can tell you that unless I sell the printer or won't be going back to stock. Wink

Kieth
I am new to 3D printing and have no experience with CAD, coding, or hacking anything. I just got a Da Vinci 1.0 and haven't even had a chance to use it yet. I apologize in advance if this is a question that I should already know the answer.

I saw that the Repetier software can be used on the da Vinci printer, which will allow more control over the printing process and allow different filament to be used. It looks like the firmware from XYZ is stored on an SD card, so is it possible to have the XYZ firmware on one card and Repetier on another card, then just swap them out if I need to? That would be pretty handy, if it is possible.
Sounds interesting. You should try it. Although, part of the process of switching to RH required flashing the board clean. which means XYZ Ware wouldn't be able to recognize the printer.
The firmware is store on the card after it is updated using xyzware. so there is not really a way to "swap" firmware without actually flashing.

And to really experiment with temps, RH is the way to go, being able to adjust temps and speeds on the fly is invaluable.