Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trimmer line
Alright guys, I have finnaly started able to use the trimmer line as filament since I was able to boost the extruder up to 230-235c. I also set the bed temp to 100c, The only thing I have noticed at the moment, is that it starts to warp and shrink very fast. Should I try a hotter temp? or hotter temp for bed?
As well as setting the bed temp a little higher, you could try building a skirt around the model, going up to it's full height. This helps trap some heat and reduces warping. Also, maybe a brim would help. Start with 10mm and see how it likes that.
Keep in mind trimmer line is basically "trash plastic." Even if it claims to be nylon (or whatever) it is very likely a mix of different flavors of nylon (or whatever), and most likely contains modifiers and other plastics/fillers that will make consistency hard to achieve. Even spool to spool same color same brand might be hard to get consistency from. If it is plastic that adsorbs water (like abs) there is no moisture protection, adding to the trouble. (What are the fillers made from again? You never know, LOL)

Not meaning to discourage, just telling you its an uphill battle, the street is icy, the tires are bald, etc. :-O

Please keep us posted. Smile

Kieth
Hahaha yeah, I want to test higher quality nylon trimmer line from amazon. I grabbed this $3 200ft from walmart just to test. It isn't horrible. But that issues was the only issue I have had. I have been looking at the other actual nylon filaments and they say to use 60-70c bed temp. I had it set to 100c do you think it would have caused that effect of curling upwards?
Quote:. If it is plastic that adsorbs water (like abs) there is no moisture protection, adding to the trouble....

Kieth

Please explain this.

I am going to be making a series of parts for RC boats, even maybe an entire hull, and this is fairly troubling news to hear. How absorbent are we talking? Will a cup "leak" over time? Will strength be affected? If I have an object that the solid voids are honeycombed at about 20% +/-10%, will water get trapped inside?
Well I did a little research on my own, and the results are kind of scary for applications in water environments.

http://www.marplex.com.au/technical/A%20...Drying.pdf

It appears that submersion in water for about 1 day will cause the plastic to become saturated with water. It seems to work by matching the humidity of the environment around it. It will also dry at about the same rate, so it will again match the humidity of the environment.

What this seems to mean to me is that if you have a "solid" box with a low % (or any % really) of infill, it will transfer the moisture from the exterior of the box, to the interior. If it's submerged, it will eventually fill up. The object can be dried out just by moving the item to a dry environment.

I would assume this means we should be printing in as low a humidity environment as possible? That would reduce "sputtering" I would assume?