Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anybody tried J firmware?
No download link, and no way to find out what nefarious things XYZ did inside it. :evil:
Just wondering if anybody has tried it and does it work better?
I accidentally installed it today...looking for a way back? Anyway, I re-printed an arduino bumper from thingiverse and it came out slightly better. I will have to play with it some more before I draw any conclusions.
I've updated the software repository with version J, go check it out.
Edit: When I say check it out, I meant check out the software repository post. I dont mean go install version J Smile

Also, someone over at soliforum updated to J and say that they cant revert back to previous version.
Have you tried installing previous version of XYZWare, and checking if you can revert to FW G for example?
I'm betting they put in a check for old versions of XYZware to stop people from loading Repetier with XYZware.
Since there are plenty of other ways to do it, it's not going to accomplish anything but making additional people mad at them.
Looks like trying version J will probably guarantee having to load Repetier as the next step.
Unless they burn the fuse in the chip, nothing stops you from jumping JP1 to reset the micro. Then use sam-ba or bossa to install whatever you want. They would have to be fools to burn the program fuse, because then they would never be able to change the firmware without replacing the chip or doing a motherboard swap. There is no way their firmware is stable enough for them to lock the chip. JMHO.

If you are not aware --- if you are using custom firmware you can also use a terminal program, like Putty, and connect at 1200 baud then disconnect. This connect/disconnect at this particular baud rate will instruct the chip to erase.

Ill look into it later, but if anyone knows I would like to know if they updated the USB drivers or changed the hardware ID with this firmware. I'm thinking they might have done one or the other since previous xyz versions, so I have also read, do not recognize the printer. Anyone? (I would check, but I'm in the middle of a 16+ hour print. If no one knows I will test and verify it in the next few days.)

Kieth
I can confirm that J firmware works with version 1.1.28.5 of XYZware without any changes. It "might" even print just a little bit better with J.
I was a bit afraid they might make a tighter lock between host and firmware, just to be d*&ks, but it doesn't seem to be the case.
Could someone confirm that the filament chip can still be reset under the firmware J?
I just loaded Repetier firmware from XYZware 1.0.0.23 with "J" firmware in the printer. Easy peasy. No complaints from the printer or the software.
Sounds like the reports of not being able to downgrade either didnt swich to older XYZ or had some corrupt drivers. As expected, downgrading also confirms there is no chip lock.

Kieth
I'm running J and have just tried to downgrade to G. Disconnected from the net and brought up the info screen and clicked on firmware upgrade expecting to get a file location box, but No. Instead all it say's is that there is no internet connection so try again later. Does this mean they are trying to block downgrading in this version?
If this is the case, how do I now get G into my system?
You need to install an earlier version of xyz to downgrade.

Kieth
Thanks for the info Keith.
Just an update. Did as suggested and downgraded to G no problems. Reprogrammed carts working fine now :cheer:
I accidentally uploaded to J when I had a reprogrammed cart installed. It printed fine. Then I changed carts to a non-refilled one...it printed fine. However, when I went back to the one that was in the machine when I upgraded the firmware (the reprogrammed one) the print looked HORRIBLE. I just downgraded back to G and I'm going to see how that works out.
I can confirm that the J firmware does cache the cartridge serial numbers and screw up your prints if you try to use a cartridge that has been reset. I am guessing that if the serial matches one in the cache, it slows the extrusion speed down to somewhere below 50% because the extruder barely pushes out any filament. Thought I had a clogged nozzle but a downgrade to G now has the printer turning out perfect prints using a sainsmart filament spool.
Just got rid of it...

Now back to 1.1.28.5 and with G for the firmware version. The mac would not allow any changes at all, when I tried with windows it was not going to let me change it either.

Loaded 1.1.28.5 and away we go, when it says there is a new version available I will be saying NO B)

Now to do some test prints....
Quote:Just got rid of it...

Now back to 1.1.28.5 and with G for the firmware version. The mac would not allow any changes at all, when I tried with windows it was not going to let me change it either.

Loaded 1.1.28.5 and away we go, when it says there is a new version available I will be saying NO B)

I will be looking into this shortly, my chip resetter arrived today

Now that you are back on G firmware, can you still use it on the iMac as long
as you do not let it upgrade the firmware ?

I am on J at the moment, and 1.0.8 on the mac, but I do have VMWare running
windows 7 if needed

Dave
Quote:
Quote:Just got rid of it...

I will be looking into this shortly, my chip resetter arrived today

Now that you are back on G firmware, can you still use it on the iMac as long
as you do not let it upgrade the firmware ?

I am on J at the moment, and 1.0.8 on the mac, but I do have VMWare running
windows 7 if needed

Dave

No problem with 1.0.8 on the Mac, I expect I could have looked and found and got an early version of Mac software but I had windows on another machine and it was easier to use that and Kieth had said I needed Window because the file window would come up if it could not get to the net. I have a chip on the way, probably get here sometime next week. Nice to get few prints done with my own filament at last Smile I will probably change the operating system but for the present I am happy to just use it and get familiar with 3D printing!

Bob