Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
is someone have a way to backup firmware ?
Hello everybody,

my xyz printer is on 1.1.A firmware and i want to back it up before make any change on it . Is someone have a way to back it up ?

I'm relatively noob on this kind of procedure

thanks

best regards
AFAIK, the only way to back it up would be via JTAG, and that is assuming they did not lock the read bits. You could also double check the CD that came with the machine just in case. Personally, as long as you can get 1.1.G I would not be to concerned. The earlier firmwares have more bugs, and the later firmwares have -apparently - print suicide code that causes print errors if the filament is reset.

Kieth
Mikael - if you are still on 1.1.a could you stay on it for another day or two? Just in case someone comes up with an easier way to grab it. I'll ask on a couple other forums too.

Kieth- by saying this, Im not insinuating your take on how to grab the firmware isn't valid or true. Smile
hello tryervol,

i'm still on 1.1.A and i can wait for a while , no prob

mikael
Try is right. Nothing wrong with waiting to try. I didn't mean to say/imply just to give up and upgrade. Just trying to convey it isn't super critical, if you can't, imo.

Kieth
Big Grin
Since I'm maintaining the SW/FW repository it would just be cool to have it for the sake of completeness.
hello everybody ,
I've downloaded atmel studio 6 and Sam ba but i haven't any jtag interface to connect to xyz board . Is it possible to make one with for exemple arduino uno or is it possible to download FW with usb connection ?

best regards
mikael
There are jtag schematics on google. To use usb I believe you would need to make connections for the programming port. You *might* be able to read the chip from the programming port. I know they cut loss of corners, so hopefully the programmers didn't lock the read bits.

Let us know what you find.

Kieth
Could it be done with one of these?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Convenient-Mod...3f322382f9

I have one, so if it can be used, I can try use it, even though I'm already on G.

If not, would something like this work?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AVR-JTAG-AVR-U...2c830398d4

cheers
hello kieth ,
i've tried to connect atmelstudio ,bossa, sam ba ,and arduino ide due version to xyz with the usb connection and nothing work (they don't see interface)for moment (under windows ). Where is the programming port is it the same (due have 2)? is it the uart port on the board(in this case what is cabling ? do i have to do it under linux ? do i have to modify .inf of progs ?
Sorry if i'm boring you with noob question

best regards

mikael

i'm back under linux with sam-ba and normal usb connection it sees my printer as a ttyACM0 i tell it board is a at91sam3x8-ek sam-ba tries to connect and seems to fry after telling :
I- Waiting ...
-I- TCL platform : Linux
-I- SAM-BA CDC 2.12 on : linux
-I- Connection : /dev/ttyACM0 (target(comType) = 0)
-I- Board : at91sam3x8-ek
-I- Traces Level : 4
-I- target(handle) : file7

it's better then under windows but not what we expect for the moment .
if someone have an idea it is welcome
mikael
Under windows, just follow the first post in the custom firmware thread. You will have trouble getting it to connect as a da vinci printer. Once the custom firmware is installed the arduino ide should do the trick no problem.

Kieth
if i understand the first thing i do is erase so how can i backup firm if i erase before ? I've another prob : I haven't jp4 ( mention in the post) on the board only jp1
[Image: 20140531_164025.jpg]
hello again
So i've backup something with bossac (bossac -r bckup140531.bin) witch is 512 ko file. Is it normal firmware are228-234 ko .or do i have to restick the area to backup?
I have attach the file if you want to have a look

best regards
mikael

I've edit it since i've post and everything is FFFFFFFF so i don't think it's a good file .sorry i think i can't backup now firm1.1.A and have to upload 1.1.G in it https://forum.voltivo.com/images/bckup140531.zip
Of course it shouldn't be all fffffff Wink

I'm not sure. It might be possible, assuming you haven't reset the printer with jp1 (if you have your only option is to install firmware since the chip would be erased), to edit the files of the atmel ide to read the chip - but I don't have experience to do that as the previous places I worked always had the right development tools. I honestly think the jtag is the best way to try to read the chip. The second would be via the usb programming port for which connections to the board would have to be soldered in. (Download the data sheet from the atmel website. )

Doubtful this helps. But hopeful this helps. Smile

Kieth
Also, I think I was tired and you misunderstood what I was trying to convey. Once you reset or install new firmware the old is lost forever. I thought you new that and were trying to program the chip... ?

If you haven't reset, then I would order or build a jtag if you want to read the chip.

Kieth
hello kieth , first thanks for your patience i'm french and i don't always understand everything . i new if i don't do wright the firmware is lost forever (i have few experience with satellite decoders, arduino uno, megatronics card of my other printer and other stuff like that ) that's why i was waiting for having maximum info because i don't know principes of new atmel chips. but i ve missed something (founding jp4 i think) so i reset the chip and loose firmware forever. i've install firm 1.1.G and restart the printer . i will try to put repetier firm because i need to control temps ( especialy parts that are preventing from cold extrusion )for testing exotics filaments that are not for the moment in store. i have another xyz on the road and will try again to grap firm later maybe whith jtag interface that i haven't yet . thanks again for patience and excelent work you have done with your tutos.

best regards
mikael