Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PLEASE BE ADVISED OF THE POWER CONNECTOR FOR THE HEATER
My printer quit working during a 5 hour print 2 hours into it last night. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

My tester was out in the garage so I did some quick trouble shooting as it was already 1:30 AM. wiggling the connector it instantly started gaining temp, AND THE CONNECTOR FOR THE EXTRUDER HEATER INSTANTLY STARTED GETTING HOT. I noticed this as a weak spot before, BUT IT IS A FIRE HAZARD. This morning I awoke and promptly went out to the garage and got out my tester and found 12v at the board for the heater and then 12v at the male pins of the connector and continuity on the heater itself. I proceeded to solder on high current deans style connectors and I know I will never have this issue again.

Lower cost amazon deans

There are a few other RC high power connectors that would also work, but I have allot of experience dumping 90 plus amps at 24v through these connectors and I now feel much much better about my printer.
Hi joshj,

Could you share some pics of your setup?

thanks
The connector is def a weak spot. So is the wire tie where the extruder wires flex at a sharp point during some moves. My extruder (heater) wire broke at about 150 hours. They replaced it free, but I didnt actually install it since I just fixed the wire... Really, I think the wiring is going to be the weak point on this printer.

Kieth
As requested,

There are many styles of connectors used for RC batteries and motors that would be better than what comes with the machine. I like these though and they are chaep and readily available. please excuse the pile of nasty tardis in the bottom of the printer.

Anyway the connector is the red square in there. it has a female end coming from the control board and a male end on the extruder end. they hold together sometimes too well and there is no fear of them coming apart. it would stall the machine or break wires before it puller the connector apart.

[img]
OT- i thought I was the only one leaving a pile in the bottom of the printer. Lol Smile

Kieth