Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toshiba FlashAir firmware 1.1.I mod (how to)
This information is 100% at your own risk if you attempt it.

I am backtracking on what I previously said about telling you how to mod the firmware- I have thought about it and see no harm in telling you how to make your own firmware mod so you can use your printer to print what you want. Smile

PLEASE NOTE: This thread is ONLY for discussion of this very minor firmware mod to allow a dos 8.3 filename from the Toshiba FlashAir to work on the printer. PLEASE help keep this thread clean - if you have a question regarding unbricking, other firmware mods, setting up the FlashAir, etc, I respectfully ask that you make a new thread.

This mod has NO purpose other than to get FlashAir upload to the sd card working on firmware 1.1.I This has only been tested with a Toshiba Flashair 8gb Class 6 card, using firmware 1.1.I, with the latest xyzware at the time of this posting. It may not be necessary to do this for other cards or methods, so do yourself a favor and dont mod the firmware if you dont need to. Yes, I previously modded their other firmware, and you can do the same if you carry what you learn from this to the older firmwares. Sorry. I am not writing all this to tell you how to make 1.1.Q

This is the BARE MINIMUM you can modify to allow a dos 8.3 name to be sent to the sd card via wifi and be able to print it from the menu on the printer. It should not effect your ability to print from XYZware.

You must already have the FlashAir car configured and working. PLEASE start a new thread if you need help with that! This is for FIRMWARE discussion only.

Here we go:

1) Download firmware F10_20140417_FW_V1.1.I_RELEASE.bin from the XYZ site. Run, because once they see this it probably wont last long. :-)

2) Open the file with your favorite hex editor. Im cheap, so I am using Free Hex Editor Neo, available here: http://download.cnet.com/Free-Hex-Editor...ml?tag=dre

3) See the attached picture for the specific locations to modify. CAREFULLY modify ONLY those locations.Your edit history should look EXACTLY like the screen capture attached if you are using Neo. If in doubt, start over,

4) Save the file. It can be anything you want, just end it with .bin

5) Disconnect from the internet.

6) Open XYZware. Click about, then firmware upgrade. You will get an error. Click OK. A dialog will pop up. Locate to the file you saved in step 4. The printer will be updated and reboot. There should be no obvious changes. The menu will look exactly the same as before.

7) Slice your favorite STL. Save the gcode as "SAMPLE01.GCO"

8 ) Open a browser to http:FlashAir/upload.cgi Choose the SAMPLE01.GCO that you saved in step 7. Click submit. It should upload. No changes will be apparent from the printer end

9) At the printer, press HOME>UTILITIES>BUILD SAMPLE>DEMO>YES and your file should be build if you successfully altered the firmware. If not, start over.

TO DO: In slicer settings bump the ratio from 1 to 1.05. The current settings appear to not dispense enough filament. I am working on pinout to allow an open source firmware to be installed on the printer, so I do not plan on spending more time on this hack job. Wink

Please feel free to test and post your results.

Maybe OLIVER (If he see this) or someone else can write a script to directly mod the firmware. Regardless of what anyone thinks, I believe the firmware is protected by copyright, at least in the USA, and I recommend that you do not release modded versions. I can see no prohibition of patching the file since everything modified is plain human readable text. Regardless, *I* will not ever be releasing modded firmware that is not open source.

BRICK RECOVERY: You can repeat steps 5-6 and upload the OEM firmware any time you want unless you semi-brick the printer. If you semi-brick the printer you will need to reset the board, install the ATMEL driver, and use ATMEL SAM-BA to flash the OEM firmware (preferably without first erasing the micro). As of now, I do not believe it possible to permanently brick the micro, although I have determined that incorrect firmware is very capable of causing hardware failures. This will be a topic for another post.

:woohoo:

Kieth

>Edit: Minor updates on slicer settings, corrected "there" to "their"[Image: 1.1.I_MOD.jpg]
Hi Kieth,

Did you ever think of using the Transcend WiFI card? It looks like someone has root access on the card, so maybe it would not require modding the Davinci firmware... just a thought!

http://haxit.blogspot.ch/
I looked at the Transcend before deciding on the FlashAir. The transcend has the same "all caps" filename issue, which by itself would have forced a firmware change. In addition, you can not easily control the directory the file is uploaded into. To make it worse, the card is 2-3 times the cost of the Toshiba.

Kieth
Thank you for your information and sharing this.

Is it possible and if so what would it take to be able to load files with file names accurate to the parts and to be able to store lots on the card for retrieval and printing at any time instead of having to do the upload process every time.
The best I could suggest:

1) store as many files on the SD card as you want. Use flashair to download them, then rename them appropriate and re-up. Then you can print them (obviously one at a time) from the printers menu. Of course, this wouldnt make much sense as you could just save the files on your computer and upload as needed, but it is the closest (easily) possible if the goal is primarily to get the files off the computer

or

2) It would be relatively easy to modify the firmware to replace all three demos instead of just the first - then you could just upload (1) (2) and (3) and print them as needed by picking the correct "demo" to print. While easy, I doubt I will do this any time soon, so feel free to take a crack at it...just follow the hex modifications for the other two demos.

Kieth
For the transcended sd card all you need to do is put 'autorun.sh' in the root directory /
Code:
rcS6
tcpsvd -vE 0.0.0.0 21 ftpd -w /mnt/sd/ &
and you have ftp access to upload what ever you like.
Pho - Have you successfully used the transcend?? I ask because everything I have found indicates their FTP also has the all caps name routine and directory limitations, which are a huge issue. Of course, the information I read could certainly be wrong. Even so, the transcend card is almost 3 times the cost. Ill take a few minutes to hex edit a bin to save 50 bucks, but that's just me. Smile

Anyhow, none of this will matter in a few days with BGM hard at work on firmware. Smile

Kieth
Yea I have and you can upload in both lowercase and uppercase. Though I need to work on the slic3r settings. What do you use for your slicer program and settings? And I saw the work BGM is doing and it looks great can't wait till it get polished up.

They are ruffly the same price:
~$39(Ebay a little cheaper): Air card
~$42:Transcended
Don't see where you are getting $50 over the Air for the transcended.
When I bought the transcend (8gb) I paid 25 dollars. Newegg at the time had (as far as I found) only the 32gb transcend - and it was about 70 bucks. For me, even if they were priced the same I like the convenience of uploading via browser, as opposed to FTP program. In reality, of course FTP is better so it sounds like you have an excellent alternative to my wifi butcher job. Smile

As for slicer settings - this will be a good start for you: https://github.com/jasongao/DaVinci1.0/b...config.ini

Regards.
Kieth
How on earth do I find where to replace these lines of code with neo? I can't find these lines of code any ware.
0x38d45 is the position within the program.
0x47 is the data you want to write in that position. 0x47 is, of course, written in hex.

The gist is you are changing the .bin coding of "SAMPLE01.gcode" to "SAMPLE01.GCO" without altering byte position or program length. If you change the length or byte position you will likely crash (soft brick) the printer. (Thats why I gave the specific address and hex values you should see after your modification.)

Dont forget to make a backup copy of your SD card before you begin.

BTW, as far as I can tell, all development with resets, modding the oem firmware, etc have stopped due to the release of the custom firmware. As such, You might consider the Rep Custom Firmware - you can upload anything you want with transcend/flashair, print from SD card, not need to mess with filament resets, etc. Just flash the firmware, pop in the flashair (or other) WIFI card, alter the appropriate settings, and 'voila.

As always, at your own risk...

Hope this helps.
Kieth
Quote:0x38d45 is the position within the program.
0x47 is the data you want to write in that position. 0x47 is, of course, written in hex.

The gist is you are changing the .bin coding of "SAMPLE01.gcode" to "SAMPLE01.GCO" without altering byte position or program length. If you change the length or byte position you will likely crash (soft brick) the printer. (Thats why I gave the specific address and hex values you should see after your modification.)

Dont forget to make a backup copy of your SD card before you begin.

BTW, as far as I can tell, all development with resets, modding the oem firmware, etc have stopped due to the release of the custom firmware. As such, You might consider the Rep Custom Firmware - you can upload anything you want with transcend/flashair, print from SD card, not need to mess with filament resets, etc. Just flash the firmware, pop in the flashair (or other) WIFI card, alter the appropriate settings, and 'voila.

As always, at your own risk...

Hope this helps.
Kieth
Thanks, do you know where I can find this "Rep Custom Firmware"? Thanks again.
https://forum.voltivo.com/showthread.php?tid=7975
So will you ever release 1.1.Q?
Sorry, I personally will never release any firmware other than open source. Honestly, I'm not sure why anyone would want to play with this anymore with the repetier firmware now working reasonably well. But if you do, according to pho the transcend card can be ftp directly without filename limitations, and so for a few bucks more (apparently, if you search around) you can get a wifi card in the printer that does basically everything my firmware hack job did.

Kieth
My whole goal is to find a way to slice a file quicker than the xyz software. I am going to use the canister hack, (I get all of the left over filament of the spools from our stratasys machine at work. I don’t mind the way the Flashair upload works, I initially saw your video on youtube and liked the way that you had it set up. I am in no way a coder or programmer, im just a guy that understands how to load modded firmware to devices. I liked the simplicity of starting jobs that you had on that video. That is all.
If you use the transcend card, apparently there is no hacking needed. Just upload "SAMPLE01.gcode" to the printer, then from the printer menu tell it to print the sample. If it works as Pho descibed (no reason to doubt him) then it would do everything the wifi hack does, without the custom names and hacking involved.

Really, You might find the repetier software/firmware a better choice, because you can load however many files will fit on your card and just select the filename you want to print from the lcd menu.

Kieth
give me a hint where to find that. LOL
Link to cuisine repetier firmware is a few posts above.

Kieth
A quick bit of advice to anyone trying this, make sure you give it a static IP in your router. I have found this helps a lot. I also send files to it using the /upload.cgi mode. It works very nicely and smoothly.
Now if I can figure out how to use Prontrface to push/pull files using HTTP. I think I may have to hook my Raspberry PI interface with OctoPi running on it to make this happen though.