Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Filament counter reset
So went out and purchased an Arduino Uno, then followed the instructions posted by Oliver ..... worked a treat, thank you!

I programmed the bundled 120M filament, and now its showing 120/120, but I was wondering if its possible to reprogram it to the full capacity 600G (240/240M) or can you only reset to the original amount? If no, I assume that when I try it on the separately 600g filaments I purchased, it will reset to 240M ?

Sorry if these question are super basic, but I'm a total beginner Blush
There is some code that is fairly straightforward.

In the arduino sketch find this for 120:

char x[] = {0xc0,0xd4,0x01,0x00};
//240m
//char x[] = {0x80,0xa9,0x03,0x00};
//400m
//char x[] = {0x80,0x1a,0x06,0x00};

Make it say this for 240:
// Value to write to the EEPROM for remaining filament lenght
// Default Starter Cartdridge is 120m
//120m
//char x[] = {0xc0,0xd4,0x01,0x00};
//240m
char x[] = {0x80,0xa9,0x03,0x00};
//400m
//char x[] = {0x80,0x1a,0x06,0x00};

and so forth. You will find over 240 will not work if you have updated firmware/xyzware.

Kieth
thank you so much, will give it a go Smile

waiting for some new filament to be available then i will contribute to the eprom dumps
Just used the code on my Uno as well. Worked great.
What version of firmware do you have? There are reports of 1.1.I not printing correctly after testing the cartridge. I haven't been able to verify this yet.
Kieth
I'm on 1.1.l and I didn't notice any issues when using a rest filament. What exactly is not printing correctly ?
I havent noticed the issue either - but some have reported that printer does not deposit enough filament. It seems remotely possible they coded to check for the reset by saving the cartridge serial number and storing the least amount of filament. Then they just see if the amount of available has increased... I suspect it could be a combination of xyzware versions/firmware. Anyhow, if you dont have the issue dont worry too much about it... Smile

Kieth
I will try resetting my filament again today and see if I notice anything. I am running the latest firmware.

If they are storing the serial numbers, perhaps we can modify that on the eeprom too.
I can confirm that mine was not printing with the I firmware after I flashed the cart - downgraded to G and all good. It did look like not enough filament deposited so it was not sticking to the build plate. Tried MANY times with the I firmware, as soon as I changed to G it worked fine.
but is that a eeprom filament issue or the 'l' firmware? Have you compared it with a stock filament using 'l' firmware?

reason I ask is because 'l' firmware introduced lots of bugs for me, including exactly what you described, filament not sticking to the build plate, and that was when I was using stock filament.
Peter,
Yes, once the problem starts it does not work correctly even with stock XYZ filament. Prints are fragile and come apart easily. This happened to me when I applied an earlier version of the sketch that reset the filament to 120 (never did 999 because I was already at version I). reverting to G fixed the problem immediately. There are several versions of the sketch, not sure if that explains why some are not seeing the problem.
Since going to G I have done several resets and no problems at all. I don't know what I'm missing not having the I version, but expect upcoming upgrades isn't be needed, so I hope this can be better understood.
I agree with Steve, the only thing I changed was the EEPROM settings on the stock filament with the "I" firmware and printing became impossible for me until I downgraded to G. Still using my stock filament, but going to try with PLA this week.
Are you all using the xyz slicer? Im not seeing this problem, but I am uploading to the printer using Slic3r via the wifi hack.

UPDATE: I stand corrected. I just observed this bug. It appears to happen after you print with XYZware and then it continues until you change firmware. Im checking to see if I go to .g then back to .i if it continues...

Kieth
Anyone have a "Cartridge load error" in XYZ app (Out of Filament on the LCD) after flashing cart and trying to insert bulk filament?

I'm trying to use PLA - 190/50C reset to 240, then tried 120, still no joy.

It extrudes fine with the load cart, but then when I go to print, it throws the error.

Have tried with both the G and I firmwares.

Anyone else have this issue?
Is the error on xyzware or on the printer? If its on the printer then maybe you arent running the G firmware? If on the computer, try an older version of xyzware.

The only other thing I can think of is that you might try using the sketch to read the cartridge eeprom -- that way you can make sure the eeprom didnt get erase somehow.

Kieth
Could you try reflash the eeprom again, but this time, change the serial number?
I also started seeing this issue of prints not sticking to the build plate, so I switched back to firmware G, and this did'nt make any difference to the problem. I think it might be the software, not the printer firmware. I am using reset filaments, but this also happens with stock filament on both G and L firmware, so I dont think its the firmware. I dont have a copy of the old software, but if anyone does, I would like to compare the results.
Hi Kieth,

It's on both. The printer has a cartridge empty error, while the XYZ soft has a cartridge inserted incorrectly. the cart info still reads 120m. Have tried reflashing a number of times.

I'm on G Firmware - tried reflashing that too.

Very strange - but if I print in ABS with bulk filament, no issues after resetting the temps to 230/90.

Maybe it's that the 190/50 is out of spec for the firmware as they don't support PLA yet, so it's throwing an error? Will retry with my other PLA roll tomorrow.
I suspect you have a different issue with the prints not sticking. Perhaps you need to clean the bed again? I noticed the some ABS has - for lack of better terms - an "oily" feel that impacts bed adhesion. In particularly, I was using a purple from a competitor. I had to clean to bed with a bit of acetone before I could get anything else to stick. This was irregardless of glue being used or not.

Kieth
Seems like at least the Windows XYZ app reports the cartridge SN and the filament information back to XYZ. The URLs are
http://xyzlog.xyzprinting.com/api/getFil...rtridge_sn=
and
http://xyzlog.xyzprinting.com/api/uploadFilamentUsage

See XYZ.view.wpf.UI.GetIntetnetinformat(string SN) and XYZ.view.wpf.UI.SendFWinformat(string output)