Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Model not printing, but test strip is
Really strange problem.  Just got started with Repetier Host.  All was working, and just trying to get things dialed in, then bad.  When I fire a print, it puts out a nice strip on the right edge of the bed about 10 cm long.  It then moves over to the model print area and starts, but no extrusion.  

Filament loads just fine, and the test strip prints so that would seem to eliminate feed and hot end issues right?  Print temp is set at a standard 230, and it does not change during printing.  

Since the extruder seems to be working, I'm not even sure where to start......
You don't mention what filament.  Some filaments get rubbery and jam in the print head.  Try doing an extrusion test, and make sure that the filament continues feeding.  Listen for a clicking noise from the extruder motor. If the nozzle is too close to the bed, the filament wont feed.
(04-08-2017, 11:54 AM)hadxyz Wrote: You don't mention what filament.  Some filaments get rubbery and jam in the print head.  Try doing an extrusion test, and make sure that the filament continues feeding.  Listen for a clicking noise from the extruder motor. If the nozzle is too close to the bed, the filament wont feed.  But I can feed the filament manually just fine.  In fact, i checked it at several points on the bed at z=0.

Yes, I should provided more details.  I'm working with ABS, which is all I have ever printed.  My bed is level over the entire surface.  And I hear no extruder clicking.  I know exactly what you mean about the clicking, but I'm not hearing any of it.

I have also loaded different models.  Specifically, I loaded the Makerbot Robot, which I use as a test print, and have successfully printed on this printer.  

Given that:
The bed is level
Plastic will extrude:  For the first 10 CM, and during filament loading
No reason to suspect extruder

Is there a way for me to see if filament is being commanded to feed?  It seems like the printer should be printing, but is not being actually asked to feed filament for some reason.  Is that possible?  I'm probably barking up the wrong tree completely.  

Thanks Reagan
(04-09-2017, 08:09 PM)rdoose Wrote:
(04-08-2017, 11:54 AM)hadxyz Wrote: You don't mention what filament.  Some filaments get rubbery and jam in the print head.  Try doing an extrusion test, and make sure that the filament continues feeding.  Listen for a clicking noise from the extruder motor. If the nozzle is too close to the bed, the filament wont feed.  But I can feed the filament manually just fine.  In fact, i checked it at several points on the bed at z=0.

Yes, I should provided more details.  I'm working with ABS, which is all I have ever printed.  My bed is level over the entire surface.  And I hear no extruder clicking.  I know exactly what you mean about the clicking, but I'm not hearing any of it.

I have also loaded different models.  Specifically, I loaded the Makerbot Robot, which I use as a test print, and have successfully printed on this printer.  

Given that:
The bed is level
Plastic will extrude:  For the first 10 CM, and during filament loading
No reason to suspect extruder

Is there a way for me to see if filament is being commanded to feed?  It seems like the printer should be printing, but is not being actually asked to feed filament for some reason.  Is that possible?  I'm probably barking up the wrong tree completely.  

Thanks Reagan
I got it.  Inspecting the gcode (I had saved something that worked) revealed differences.  Scouring the Repetier settings, I discovered it was set to a different flavor of gcode.  No idea how that happened......  But it works now.