Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Extruder motor won't turn.
Alright, interesting problem. Extruder 1 motor doesn't turn anymore when loading filament. It feels like its rapidly changing back and forth between clockwise and counter-clockwise.

This problem began during a mid-print filament change. I tried a completely new NEMA 17 motor, and was getting the same issue. Its a 2.0, flashed with Repetier. None of the wires seem bad, is this a firmware glitch of some sort?
What are the steps to reproduce?I guess more for EEPROM settings change if Hw is okIt is not FW issue if was ok before
(02-27-2017, 06:35 AM)luc Wrote: What are the steps to reproduce?I guess more for EEPROM settings change if Hw is okIt is not FW issue if was ok before

I was doing a print, I paused, and changed filament through, and after I unloaded the extruder, the new filament wouldn't go in. I would press it in, and at first it felt like it was jamming, as it didn't want to pushed in any further. I would keep trying the "continue pushing filament" thing. I finally got around to tinkering with it, and found that there wasn't a jam, because without the motor, pushing the filament through the hot end manually was extruding filament like normally.

As for the EEPROM settings. I will look into that Hw setting. The only EEPROM thing I did since flashed was reduced the travel/speed times on X/Y axis.
so now you cannot load anymore using printer menu ?
what menu did you used extruder position ? or load/unload menu ?
I use the command load/unload, but it won't actually turn the motor to feed the filament into the nozzle.

And I just checked the settings on the printer, didn't find any HW or FW settings?
(02-27-2017, 08:01 PM)Dracul Wrote: I use the command load/unload, but it won't actually turn the motor to feed the filament into the nozzle.

And I just checked the settings on the printer, didn't find any HW or FW settings?

If your cables are long enough swap (ON THE PCB) the extruder and X stepper. Leave the actual x stepper unplugged. The heat the extruder and move the X back and forth through the position menu. 

When you move x in the position menu the extruder should move since it is now plugged into the X stepper IC. 

If the problem remains you have a wiring issue.

If the problem goes away then you have a hardware/firmware issue.

To identify hardware/firmware issue, reflash repetier and reload the default settings. (You could start by reloading the settings if you want to do this twice...)

If problem remains you have a hardware problem in the board, likely a bad stepper driver. If the problem goes away from reflash/reload, then I would guess the most likely is you SD card became corrupt or is failing. 

What it isnt - it isnt the firmware itself since no one else has this problem that I have heard that did not turn out to be a wiring or stepper IC (hardware) issue.

Regards,
Kieth
Alright, just did this, and for the X stepper, just to be sure, and both the X and Y steppers moved. Slowly, but they moved alright. (unsure why the new NEMA 17 motor didn't work).

I'll go and try reflashing it. Thank you!
(03-01-2017, 11:03 PM)Dracul Wrote: Alright, just did this, and for the X stepper, just to be sure, and both the X and Y steppers moved. Slowly, but they moved alright. (unsure why the new NEMA 17 motor didn't work).

I'll go and try reflashing it. Thank you!

Did the extruder move? Need if the x moved when plugged into the extruder connector then the problem is the extruder motor or wiring...

Kieth
The X and Y stepper cables are too short to jack into the extruder motor.

The X and Y motors did move with the extruder cables jacked into them.
Reflashed just this morning, everything seems to be working. Thanks for the help everyone!